Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Seagrave Training Centre

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

It’s very rare that I play golf, but the odd times I have it’s been a steady decent, hole by hole, into raging lunacy. Now, if I’d just hit the  ball 180 yards off the tea and then watched it roll slowly, all the way back to my feet I’m breaking things. A lot of things. And probably burning seagrave down to boot. 

...Awesome post!!!

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Not sure why people take the pee out of golf .....  wish I had the time to play more ....

As long as your talking about golf and not cartball. Unless for health reasons cartball deserves the abuse.

On 12/03/2021 at 19:17, Raw Dykes said:

I don't know anything about golf, really. What makes a good hole?

For me a good hole is one whose fairway is wide, straight, flat and short, and whose green is huge and flat.

Edit: Oh, and without any water hazards or bunkers.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

For me a good hole is one whose fairway is wide, straight, flat and short, and whose green is huge and flat.

Edit: Oh, and without any water hazards or bunkers.

.. no water hazards......!!!

Where exactly is the challenge, if you are not prepared to back yourself not losing half a dozen balls and shots in a round because you are intimidated by a pond.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. no water hazards......!!!

Where exactly is the challenge, if you are not prepared to back yourself not losing half a dozen balls and shots in a round because you are intimidated by a pond.

Last time I played golf I backed myself alright. Went round in about 145 (it was pointed out in the bar after I should have also added a shot for each dropped ball I played after putting it in the lake). Started off with 19 balls, found another 11 on the way round rummaging in the undergrowth for my lost balls and still only finished with one. 

I also learnt I can sling a club about 40 yards too.:mad:

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Last time I played golf I backed myself alright. Went round in about 145 (it was pointed out in the bar after I should have also added a shot for each dropped ball I played after putting it in the lake). Started off with 19 balls, found another 11 on the way round rummaging in the undergrowth for my lost balls and still only finished with one. 

Sounds like me I'm left handed but a bit ambidextrous so when someone gave me a set of right handed clubs I used them, felt ok but I was crap. So decided it must be the clubs. Bought a set of left handed ones and I'm actually worst. Decided it must be me not the clubs.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dynamark said:

I went on a golf trip to Portugal and first day one of the group in front completely lost the plot and threw his bag and clubs into a lake.One of our group waded in and fished it out and after went up to him in the bar to say he had retrieved the bag .Our mans reply was 'you can keep it Im never playing again'

I feel his frustration. I’m normally a calm, happy go lucky kind of fellow but golf flicks a switch in me. I hit a good shot and think I’ve got it sussed, then the next one it’s topped five yards forward, followed by a few more bad shots before I then hit another corker, followed by a few bad shots. Drives me insane. lol 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I feel his frustration. I’m normally a calm, happy go lucky kind of fellow but golf flicks a switch in me. I hit a good shot and think I’ve got it sussed, then the next one it’s topped five yards forward, followed by a few more bad shots before I then hit another corker, followed by a few bad shots. Drives me insane. lol 

.....know the feeling, have you ever played at Enderby on the 4th hole!!!

First shot off the tee, carried the dry lake on to the fairway 40 yards off the green, absolutely sweet, I could not have caught it better, just failed to birdie the hole but sheer frustrating on the rest of the holes trying to emulate what i had achieved on the 4th. Very much like snooker, a big part of this is keeping your head still and not trying to follow the ball before you hit it.

Great game to play, but as you say it brings out something in you, if you have a short fuse it is best to avoid it.

• Haha 1

Watching Class of 92 last night and found it interesting that Gary Neville said players they were looking at signing were asking about training facilities and the sports science set up. We've debated the value of our new training ground when signing players, it definitely will have an impact, judging from what was said in the programme. Obviously, it's not going to change anyone's mind if we offer £80k and Chelsea offer £180k but where the choice might be between 2 clubs offering £80k, the facilities will have sway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Watching Class of 92 last night and found it interesting that Gary Neville said players they were looking at signing were asking about training facilities and the sports science set up. We've debated the value of our new training ground when signing players, it definitely will have an impact, judging from what was said in the programme. Obviously, it's not going to change anyone's mind if we offer £80k and Chelsea offer £180k but where the choice might be between 2 clubs offering £80k, the facilities will have sway.

You're right they definitely will. Sadly some footballers will still be swayed by living in London and they'd choose training in a tin hut over living in Leicestershire and being at Seagrave every day. 

We're better off with out these types anyway so a win win. 

Just now, dynamark said:

I think the players are pretty much spread out over the county .Some on the saff ,mowmacre,eyres monsell,demi from enderby .Seriously a few live well away but you would pick a nice rural home given their ability to get a mortgage.

Rodgers probably has the easiest commute, living in Wysall.

On 13/03/2021 at 18:58, Vlad the Fox said:

I didn't take up golf until I was 50. despite always been invited to Corporate events but refusing most or just went for the meal and free Bar. Anyway this Rep said I want you there at the next event and said he would organize Clubs etc. Not to let him down I went along and played. like your story I shot 154 on a Championship Course. In the Bar afterwards he said how did you get on, I said I shot 154 and I'll never forget his reaction. He said , Let's say you have plenty of room for improvement. That was my first game and I'm still playing now. I did manage to get down to single figures which I have to say is an unbelievable pleasure. To take a shot knowing your not going to F.U.

It really is a wonderful game and so simple ( just get the Ball in the Hole ) and yet so difficult. It takes a while to get decent at. But no matter how bad you play you'll always hit a few good shots that bring you back another day. My one big regret is that I didn't take it up when I was younger. I'd urge any young lads who are thinking about it t go ahead, you won't regret it.

Edited by Clever Fox
Spelling error
  • Like 3

On 13/03/2021 at 19:38, davieG said:

Sounds like me I'm left handed but a bit ambidextrous so when someone gave me a set of right handed clubs I used them, felt ok but I was crap. So decided it must be the clubs. Bought a set of left handed ones and I'm actually worst. Decided it must be me not the clubs.

I'm also am left handed and started playing with a cheap left handed set without much success. After about 18 Months of playing I went to Florida on Holidays and I made up my mind that I was going to get a new decent set of Golf Clubs while I was there. So down to the big Golf shop in Kissimmee. I think it was called Edwin Watts. So I'm looking around at the vast array of Clubs on show and in the trial area, When I picked up a right handed Club to just swing and see what it felt like. ( what annoyed me about playing left hand was every thing you read was for right handed players so you had to switch it around in your head,to apply to a left handed game.) So I'm swinging this club  RH Club when this salesman comes over and says your swing is not too bad. I said I don't play right handed I play left. So he says let's go onto the Trackman machine and see how you do. He got me to hit 10 shots left Handed using a 6 iron and Ten shots Right handed using a 6 iron. When finished he showed me the two charts side by side of my shots. The right handed shots were pretty much straight down the middle where the Left Handed shots were all over the place.

So he said it's not for me to tell you what to do but from what I see you should be playing Righted Golf. So I bought a set of Nicklaus Clubs which I brought home and managed to have great success with once I got used to them.

So that's my story of switching Hands.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

I've tried playing golf twice. Never again 😋

Like anything worth doing it takes time to learn and you have to stick with it and you will get better, Guaranteed.

Study some of the great tuition that's on you tube. I've always thought one of the easier parts to get right is Putting and a good place to start. You can even do it at home and take the improvement to the course.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I'm also am left handed and started playing with a cheap left handed set without much success. After about 18 Months of playing I went to Florida on Holidays and I made up my mind that I was going to get a new decent set of Golf Clubs while I was there. So down to the big Golf shop in Kissimmee. I think it was called Edwin Watts. So I'm looking around at the vast array of Clubs on show and in the trial area, When I picked up a right handed Club to just swing and see what it felt like. ( what annoyed me about playing left hand was every thing you read was for right handed players so you had to switch it around in your head,to apply to a left handed game.) So I'm swinging this club  RH Club when this salesman comes over and says your swing is not too bad. I said I don't play right handed I play left. So he says let's go onto the Trackman machine and see how you do. He got me to hit 10 shots left Handed using a 6 iron and Ten shots Right handed using a 6 iron. When finished he showed me the two charts side by side of my shots. The right handed shots were pretty much straight down the middle where the Left Handed shots were all over the place.

So he said it's not for me to tell you what to do but from what I see you should be playing Righted Golf. So I bought a set of Nicklaus Clubs which I brought home and managed to have great success with once I got used to them.

Unfortunately I never had the luxury of that type of chance or advice. I’ve reached a point where I would be embarrassed if there was anyone within site of me playing.

Putting is the only part I feel competent at.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

....I play snooker and when you find that something that you have been doing but was wrong and someone points it out to you it is priceless!!!

Much the same with golf, keep your head down was a big eye opener for me as it was always inclined to start coming up prior to contact with the ball. Get that right and that is a lot of shots taken off a round as you are more likely to be hitting the greens than taking "drops".