Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
les-tah

How many players do we need to be title contenders?

The problem is how players view us. As long as we keep losing players to Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, we will struggle to regularly challenge. I know we seem to replace players very well, but that may not always be the case. We need to be competing WITH them for players.

The biggest transfer in our history could be Vardy's replacement. 

It’s not just about players though, United could sign Messi, Koulibaly, Alphonso Davies and Saul and they still wouldn’t win the league because Solskjaer isn’t good enough.

We’d need probably another 15-20 goals a season and to concede 5-10 fewer based on the last couple of seasons’ figured, although the totals will most likely be lower this season. 

Realistically, I think we’d need 4 or 5 - we have plenty of players that could win a title with Man City or Liverpool but too many that aren’t good enough (yet) to elevate us there.

Barnes, a RW (Ünder - still not sure of his level yet), Tielemans, Maddison and a CB (Fofana is too raw still, Evans on the wane maybe) would have to be significantly better. I rate all of those players but they aren’t at the requisite title winning level, yet or ever.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

For me we need another play who will hit 15-20 goals.

In the title season we had Vardy 24 goals and Mahrez with 17 goals, almost a case of if Vardy didn't get you, Mahrez would.

You would hope between Maddison, Barnes and Under they can score those 15-20 goals.

4 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

You would hope between Maddison, Barnes and Under they can score those 15-20 goals.

I suppose, what I meant was another match winner, in the title season Vardy and Mahrez were match winners, game deciders.

I don't think Maddison, Barnes and Under can don't as often as they did, just don't think that's their level just yet.

3 hours ago, Genesis1 said:

I honestly think we don't need anybody. If we had Ricardo, Soyuncu and Castangne at home against Villa, West Ham and Fulham we could be 8 points clear at the top.

Ifs and buts I know but I wouldn't change any of our players.

And that's exactly why we need about 5 more players. Our first team is fine, our squad is not.

We need another full back (left footed - fuchs is finished), a centre back (wes is finished), a big centre midfielder (hamza isn't good enough), another winger and a striker better than kelechi.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

And that's exactly why we need about 5 more players. Our first team is fine, our squad is not.

We need another full back (left footed - fuchs is finished), a centre back (wes is finished), a big centre midfielder (hamza isn't good enough), another winger and a striker better than kelechi.

After that game I totally agree.

I think about 5.

Another centre half - probably Tarkowski, joins on a reduced fee given his contract.

Another striker - A genuinely different option, somebody who moves differently to Vardy. Maybe somebody with a bit more presence. Call me mental but I'd have had Mandzukic here for a year. Free agent and not going to be at his best anymore but he was a winner, aerial presence etc... just different really.

Centre mid - A more reliable 7/10 every game type, a physical presence, somebody who might actually touch the ball when we go to Liverpool. An Anguissa type.

A winger better than all of our current options, somebody you can confidently say will hit double figures. Maybe Thauvin. Papu Gomez would be amazing even if he is ageing.

Possibly another left back to replace Fuchs. Tsimikas would've been nice. The next Tsimikas lol 

Edited by Dan LCFC

Presuming this is our starting 11

Barnes Vardy Under

Maddison Tielemans

Ndidi

Castange Soyuncu Fofana Pereira

Schmeichel

If I was going to be really harsh.

Maddison is good but we need someone much more consistent for a title challenge where you need to be on your game every game. Also not enough physical presence about him.

Soyuncu is decent but we could upgrade on him. Hasn't hit the highs of late 2019.

Barnes needs to develop. Needs to create at least 15 goals a season. 

Fofana needs to develop

Under needs to develop. Needs to create at least 15 goals a season.

Tielemans is too inconsistent for a title challenge. Also not physical enough compared to Liverpools midfield. A team we would be competing agianst for the title hypothetically. 

Schmeichel's distribution is not good enough for a title challenge when you compare him to the previous Goalkeepers who have won titles in recent years. Courtious, Ederson and Allison

All in all too many diamonds in the rough and inconsistent players to ever challenge for a title with this squad. Could see us getting top 4 regularly with the squad at its peak if we manage to keep it together. 

On paper we are the 6th best team in the country and potentially 4th or 3rd best once everyone peaks. Feel free to get your Blue tinted specs out and disagree but this is as non biased I can get.

So I would say 7 players off.

Edited by Fightforever

6 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

****ing painful read this thread.

11 on 11 everyone being fit we are so far behind Liverpool and Manchester City it’s not even worth discussing.

Its going to be a weird season this year but in a normal one we are nowhere near the best side in the country and a 4th place finish is a huge achievement.

I think you might be interpreting it differently from other people. I think people saying they're happy with the squad might be doing so because it's about as good as it realistically could be at the moment. That's what I think, anyway. I doubt many people think we have a team as strong as Liverpool or Man City. That's not a realistic expectation.

Isn’t it easier just to ask how many of our players would get into a combined Man City / Liverpool / Leicester 25 man squad? 

2 GKs - Emerson, Allison.

2 RBs - Trent Alexander Arnold, Ricardo.

4 CBs - VVD, Matip, Laporte - one of ours or Gomez. Ours are rough diamonds then Evans. 

2 LBs - Robertson, then Mendy, Castagne, JJ and Zinchenko are all much of a muchness behind him.

7 CMs - KDB, Fabinho, Thiago, Fernandinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, N’Didi.

2 LMs / LWs - Mane, Sterling.

2 RMs / RWs - Salah, Mahrez.

4 STs - Firminho, Aguerro, Vardy, Jesus.

I think the fact most of our players aren’t even in contention, says that we are a long, long way off. 

9 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think you might be interpreting it differently from other people. I think people saying they're happy with the squad might be doing so because it's about as good as it realistically could be at the moment. That's what I think, anyway. I doubt many people think we have a team as strong as Liverpool or Man City. That's not a realistic expectation.

I’m interpreting it based on the thread title.

On 16/12/2020 at 10:26, coolhandfox said:

For me we need another play who will hit 15-20 goals.

In the title season we had Vardy 24 goals and Mahrez with 17 goals, almost a case of if Vardy didn't get you, Mahrez would.

Agreed. Madison and Under together could IMO  be developed into a Mahrez plus  A.N Other replacement ,two for two. The team is potentially IMO able to win the premiership but Liverpool and Spurs have better strikers in better form . All players would have to give  of their best plus the team must function as better than its parts. That is down to the manager and coaches. Somehow Ranieri did it. Rodgers is OK and probably as good as we could get so he would need to perform better and quickly. Why are n't set pieces, defending and attacking not being worked on ? Given that and a bit of luck who knows.? We probably won't get a better chance from where we are now of either the Premiership or Eufa cup. Vardy next year will probably only be 90=95 % of what he is now and replacing his talent ,motivation,dedication,  and work rate (he's also unselfish for a striker) may be impossible and certainly very expensive.

On 16/12/2020 at 10:52, ARM1968 said:

We need a Roy Keane - well, perhaps not quite that level of bastard, but you get my drift. Someone who will galvanise flagging spirits in a tough game. 

Who wouldnt want a Roy Keane type of player in the team. I certainly wouldn't call him a B@#$%rd to his face 🤣