Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
les-tah

How many players do we need to be title contenders?

Gosh. 15/16 told us anything can happen, but when you look at Liverpool's quality and the absolute spankings they've handed us in the past two games, I'd say we are a long, long way off.

At least:

A keeper who can add coming for crosses and half decent distribution to Kasper's character and shot-stopping.

Another CB, because we've been short too often and will be tomorrow.

Another CM, one to rotate/compete with Tielemans, hopefully one with more physicality.

A RW or right sided striker.

A back up striker who's better than Nacho & Perez (I don't ever see us signing such a player - the next striker will be sign with a view to succeeding the GOAT - but I'm answering the OP).

Edited by Steve Earle
typo

I don't think we need many. I think the starting XI with everyone fit is very strong. Couldn't really ask for any better, realistically.

If it was up to me, I'd be prioritising buying a young striker to be Vardy's apprentice and a young no.8 to be Tielemans's backup. Maybe another centre-half depending on whether Evans is staying and whether Amartey can get and stay fit. Then possibly a young winger/wide forward to replace Gray.

I don't think we need a left back unless Ricardo leaves. We've not seen Castagne play there for us, but he can't be that bad if he's played there for Belgium. Then you've got JJ, Thomas and Fuchs, as well.

• Like 1

Interesting thread, the trouble is it’s an incredibly competitive league as emphasised by some of the results this season. But if you were a Man City, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea fan and this was a threat how far away do you think they would think they are from winning it? Even Man U,  and Everton fans etc probably think they’re just a couple of players away from a serious challenge. That’s the beauty of the league there’s a lot of good teams and anyone can win or lose in any given game more or less. 

we’ve got a great team, and a better squad than last season so yes with 2 more players - another striker and another CB would we be even stronger - yes, potentially. But you’ve still got to have the consistency, quality and to an extent luck to win the league in any given season.

In terms of footballing quality, we’d struggle to find any better than our first-choice XI - the likes of Ricardo, Soyuncu, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Vardy would not be out of place in any side in the league. What the team lacks is a bit of on-field leadership and ability to manage the game from the thick of the action - Schmeichel has it and Vardy has it but they are at either end of the pitch. One experienced centre-half that can kick the team up the backside or an older head on midfield who can take a game by the scruff of the neck, and I think we’d be set. Evans is not vocal enough in the mould of a Walsh, Elliott or Taggart from a few years back and our midfield has some quality but fairly timid players. That sort of player would have been gold in some of the poor results we’ve seen this season and back end of last - enough to squeeze a win from the draws and at least a draw from some of the drab losses. 

• Like 1

We’re a point of the top spot, having had 4 certain starters out for most of the season. I would argue we don’t need any extra players to be contenders, we’re already contending.

A return to fitnesses of Ricardo, Timmy and Soyuncu and we would address many of the shortcomings we’ve witnessed in the first third of the season, with Ndidi back and playing we already looked a bit better.

I would bring back KDH in January and from what I’ve seen he can play the Tielemans role and give him the odd rest, without upsetting the squad or bringing in a player who would expect to start every game.

Two things for me and not necessarily a specific player or position. 

1. An attacking midfielder with the presence to find a bit of magic or quality when the team are playing naff. Under, Barnes and Maddison are good but I haven’t seen them inspire a comeback in the same way for example Mahrez did against Villa and Saints in 15/16. 

2. 1 or 2 players with some know how and experience of playing multiple competitions. Full of advice and know when to turn the tempo of games on and off. 

54 minutes ago, ScrumpyJack said:

I genuinely believe this Leicester squad is stronger than the 15/16 team. I am definitely not on my own in thinking that. 

In response to the thread, we could certainly benefit from two additional players (or rather two players in exchange for Slimani and Amartey.) A more mature and consistently fit centre back with Premier League experience, and a more prolific second fiddle to Vardy. Tarkowski would be a welcome addition. Not sure who to suggest up-top striker-wise as good forwards are gold dust these days. Maybe Callum Wilson if he were available?

@Ric Flair was keen on that Thauvin chap awhile ago. I disagreed with him at the time, but he would definitely provide a more direct goal threat if he could replicate his Ligue 1 form. 

I think we undoubtedly have better players than our title winning squad but I dont think they are a better team. 

That year was just a bizarre mix of the right system for the players we had and the players meshing together really well to create a special team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh I think we have an 11 that can contend for the title. I think our issue is that we need more players that can fill in and we still be challengers. City have probably 15/16 players that can make a contending 11. Liverpool less so, but their first 11 is almost flawless. 

Another top class striker that comes as bit deeper and gets involved more if Vards isn’t getting the ball much in a game. A world class winger with a bit of a spark e.g. Mahrez. And maybe another cm option if we find we’re not dominating games. 

I like the idea of the Vardy and Tielemans stand ins, but I think those players are at opposite age ranges personally. I.e the Vardy replacement is a young up and comer and Youri stand in is a class act old player ala Cambiasso

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Two step plan for never ending success

• Buy Fabian Reese from Holstein Kiel to be Vardy’s understudy
  • Rescue William Saliba from Arsenal

If little Wes green lights Saliba I’d be all over it . He’ll be available on loan in January so get it done 

• Like 1

I still reckon we need a target man striker who could come off the bench and add a physical and aerial presence, especially at set pieces, if we are behind. Or indeed, fill in for Vardy when he is injured.

Like Ulloa did so brilliantly in 2015/16.

We also need to show more grit and fight when things aren’t going to plan.

Like in 2015/16.

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

If little Wes green lights Saliba I’d be all over it . He’ll be available on loan in January so get it done 

It is a very odd one. I know he has had some personal issues, but not even be making the bench seems odd. He was supposed be the brighter of the two (Between Saliba and l’il Wes). Something does not seem quite right, or maybe his personal issues are all encompassing:dunno: 

1 minute ago, Hammo said:

I still reckon we need a target man striker who could come off the bench and add a physical and aerial presence, especially at set pieces, if we are behind. Or indeed, fill in for Vardy when he is injured.

Like Ulloa did so brilliantly in 2015/16.

We also need to show more grit and fight when things aren’t going to plan.

Like in 2015/16.

Won't happen.  

Its been suggested many a time on here. I went to the Q&A night with Rodgers and he said he doesn't believe in target men. If he needed one... his words at the time "ill stick big H up there to win the headers and flick ons"

A striker. We can cover every position adequately, with a manageable injury list. But we simply cannot cover Vardy. Foolish to write him off, but I reckon he’ll gradually be replaced during next season - time catches up with all of us. So buy now his successor now,  rather than next  summer ? 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

It is a very odd one. I know he has had some personal issues, but not even be making the bench seems odd. He was supposed be the brighter of the two (Between Saliba and l’il Wes). Something does not seem quite right, or maybe his personal issues are all encompassing:dunno: 

Seen through the prism of Arsenal who knows what makes sense . They’ve got Ozil sitting around at home on £400k a week ( or similar)or  who is training with the kids because he looked at the manager in a funny waylol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KFS said:

I like the idea of the Vardy and Tielemans stand ins, but I think those players are at opposite age ranges personally. I.e the Vardy replacement is a young up and comer and Youri stand in is a class act old player ala Cambiasso

That's not a bad shout, actually. I agree re: experienced player as Tielemans backup, especially as KDH could turn out to be a good younger reserve. We could use a leader in the centre of the pitch, as well.

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Won't happen.  

Its been suggested many a time on here. I went to the Q&A night with Rodgers and he said he doesn't believe in target men. If he needed one... his words at the time "ill stick big H up there to win the headers and flick ons"

*cough* *cough* small man syndrome. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Won't happen.  

Hence why I used the word ‘still’.

I’m aware this is an old chestnut but it doesn’t change my opinion. Our set piece (especially corner) stats at both ends are terrible - a major handicap to any genuine title pretensions.

Lampard probably felt the same as Rodgers about target men but then Giroud bagged four goals at Sevilla and he changed his mind and started playing him in the Premier League.

Flexibility is a keystone in good management.