Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
les-tah

How many players do we need to be title contenders?

Think who we lose is probably more important. Sounds like Tielemans is being watched very closely and the way he's playing this season he'd be an enormous loss.

If we keep the whole team together, get the injured players fit and add quality up front we really could challenge but to be honest most teams could say this. Doing it is altogether harder.

At some point, we will have to take serious action to replace Vardy. Whether that's identifying a world class youngsters and getting them in early or spending serious money. We're not going to find another one in non-league for a million quid.

3 hours ago, les-tah said:

so.. I seen this article saying Man UTD are three players short of having a first XI that could take the fight to Liverpool and Manchester City https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-title-race-transfers-19461017 

Which led me to question Based on our strongest team (Ricardo, Castagne, Soyuncu etc) What additional players do we need to improve our starting 11 that you would then consider us 'title contenders' and challenge Liverpool and Manchester City?... and yes some might say we already are up there ;) 

Be interesting to hear what people think in its own thread.

From my stand point, I would if possible,like to see a fully fit squad,or each group line across the Field have The best players available,before I would

Commit to the word need..!!

We Need a future Player or players to fill the void of the eventual Retirement of Vardy..

WE Need to see First if our considered top injured players  when & can deliver this 2nd third of the season.

At the moment my thoughts on priorities would be..

Gk.......young Deputy ready to step in occasionally & for the future From Next season.

Fbs......  We have enough Top cover

Cbs......  Another Evans like  find,  & ffs a young talent from within that we can immediately develope & rotate occasionally rotate into the First team

Wbs.......I believe we are covered,with 2-3 possible permatations.

Midfield.. Never say No..Though this midfield, I believe is capable without injuries of taking us to the title.Tho' Tielemans needs periods where he can be rested..

Striker.....Definitely...2 recognised goalscorers.

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Papu Gomez is being discussed in the transfer thread, and that's the sort of player I would say would make us genuine title challengers. We do over rely on Vardy and Nacho is decent but not in the same league, but  we also struggle in many games even when Vardy is playing. I think we need a forward that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win games by themselves. Maddison to be fair did that against Brighton, but we could do with more options. You normally win the title by scoring a ton of goals and keeping tight at the back. Assuming Soyuncu and Ndidi are back, we can keep it relatively tight, but we don't score enough to really challenge IMO.

Papu already has 5 goals 4 assists in 15 games this season, and last season had 8 goals and 18(!) assists. To be fair his team mate Ilicic would be an even better addition, as he's more of a finisher than provider. Either way, a top class player that contributes to tons of goals would be the missing piece for me.

Much as I’d love him, no way is he leaving. He loves Atalanta and Bergamo too much and with COVID he wants to give back to the city. 

With players coming back we have a great starting XI and I agree with @Ashley - another striker would be fantastic. Someone with pace again and maybe also decent in the air, but more pace. Big ask that, especially in January. Zapata from Atalanta would be great, Immobile would be a dream but nether happening. Belotti too.

There might be some options in Ligue 1 but I see a loan for depth perhaps and then push for UCL. If we get too 4, then summer should be fun!! 

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

A striker to give us another option

A different player to Youri for when he needs rotating/we need more of a “bastard” presence

Other than that we just need people to be fit/stay fit! 

This. Of late we've struggled against teams that throw themselves around and bully you off the ball. Sometimes we need to be a little more streetwise... or whatever that would translate to in football terms.

18 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

This. Of late we've struggled against teams that throw themselves around and bully you off the ball. Sometimes we need to be a little more streetwise... or whatever that would translate to in football terms.

Yeah, i don't agree that that person is Wilf either. He's so much more than that to us, he's a ball winner who can even pass it now! 

It's that streetwise bit you mention, someone who will take someone out for a yellow card late on, or know the best way to organise the midfield to manage the last 15 in a game.

Just very difficult to find....

3 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

In terms of our current 25 man squad we need 3 players to replace Gray, Amartey and Slimani. If we could replace those with 3 potential starters we are not far off at all.

I agree, I think our 11 when fit are actual contenders, just lack that extra off the bench especially a striker, to go all the way really.

The players who have had to come in have been brilliant for sure, and Justin has developed faster because he has played... we aren’t that far off really 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Weren't we "papering over the cracks" after the Sheff Utd game?  We beat a poor Brighton side and people are dreaming of the title again. lol

The reality, imo, is that we have a very good squad but every time we play Liverpool we are reminded that we are a long way from being title contenders.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, murphy said:

Weren't we "papering over the cracks" after the Sheff Utd game?  We beat a poor Brighton side and people are dreaming of the title again. lol

The reality, imo, is that we have a very good squad but every time we play Liverpool we are reminded that we are a long way from being title contenders.

It is more the injuries we have had, topping the EL group and being one point from the top that keeps people optimistic. Will we win the title, no, Liverpool and dare I say it spurs look too good but I’m sure we will make it exciting especially when players come back 

The healthy thing about our current squad is that we've got more or less like for like replacements in most positions apart from up front and even then we've got Iheanacho, Perez, etc., who can do a decent enough job. 

I think with the games coming thick and fast this season, whoever can manage their squad the best wins the league. I'd go as far to say there probably isn't a squad better than ours in the league but if Spurs keep the likes of Son and Kane fit all season then I'd make them favourites and likewise with any other of the top teams. 

Now Wilf's back we should get a bit more grit, but I would love a real nasty b*stard we can use in the box-to-box role to really stamp authority on that midfield battle. At DMF, we're fine - Mendy has been a revelation, though I think we all agree that a fit Wilf starts ahead of him. No problem, Papys seems a good egg and willing to do his bit when called upon. Dunno what the deal is gonna be with Hamza after this season but, while inconsistent, he can do the business too. It's further up the pitch where we often look light, and a proper midfield general would allow us a little more flexibility to hopefull make 2 DMFs a thing of the past. 4-1-4-1 gang, innit.

I said a new striker was a summer priority to begin the transition when age finally catches up to Vards in 2 or 3 seasons' time, and I stand by that - failing another step up in the Iheanacho renaissance. He really did look a player reborn for much of last season, but he has regressed again and I think it's time to get another option, or at the very least a third choice willing to play less to give him a kick up the arse and push on. I don't want to move Kelechi on - he has shown sparks of being a true asset for us - but I think he needs more competition for that second spot with Vardy aging and an obvious need for a plan beyond 2022/23.

Honestly, we're good in most areas otherwise - the development of Thomas and Justin has me relatively comfortable with our wide options and, while we've been scarily threadbare for the bulk of this season, our CB options are going to be enviable once Soyuncu and (as a bit part player also capable of bolstering full back and DMF positions) Amartey are both back. We're a proper unit, make no mistake.

Edited by OntarioFox

We are a stronger team and squad than 15/16, but we lack the creative unpredictable spark of Mahrez. Maybe Ünder gets a run of games and finds form, but an out and out match winning winger is what we need. 

The next four games will test our metal, and where we are come January 1st will tell us a great deal. Anything more than 8pts will make us contenders. 

6 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Foolish to write Vardy off, but I reckon he’ll gradually be replaced during next season - time catches up with all of us. So buy now his successor now,  rather than next  summer ? 

Vardy doesn't look like he's anywhere near finished.

Will still be banging in the goals for us when he's 50.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Vardy doesn't look like he's anywhere near finished.

Will still be banging in the goals for us when he's 50.

I honestly believe he has another 2 to 3 seasons in him performing at this level…. He isn’t getting any slower

11 hours ago, murphy said:

The Spurs game will show whereabouts we are right now... that's a massive test.