Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Former Player Remembers: Graham Cross (Part One) & (Part Two)

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

The Tank. Great player in his day. Always felt he might have made the full England side.

He got the Call a few of times, including representive-level, each Time the normal reliable tank, found his tracks blown off...Silly injuries that flared up.

He & Stringfellow, were often mentioned in dispatches and received their invitations, but when it really mattered , they had their niggling injury moments..I

Before a certain Mr Vardy came along.. Graham Cross was seen and rightly carried the   Mr Leicester...banner.!

The first match I ever went to was against Burnley in the 1st Division in autumn 1975. I don't know if Graham Cross was playing that day but I hope he was. 

I remember the football cards you used to get back then. They were about the same length and breadth as a fag packet and LCFC player cards were highly prized at school. I had a Graham Cross card along with Mark Wallington, Jeff Blockley, Jon Sammels, Steve Whitworth, Frank Worthington, Keith Weller, Steve Kember, Chris Garland. They never won the League though.

I've posted this before but when I was a small impressionable kid sitting on the wall of the Kop end Main Stand enclosure wall Crossy came over to take a throw in right in front of me. As he grabbed the ball the lino gave the throw to the opposition and Cross loudly called him a twat. Mild language by modern standards but as a kid wasn't sure if I should be impressed or not. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, ceredigion said:

The first match I ever went to was against Burnley in the 1st Division in autumn 1975. I don't know if Graham Cross was playing that day but I hope he was. 

I remember the football cards you used to get back then. They were about the same length and breadth as a fag packet and LCFC player cards were highly prized at school. I had a Graham Cross card along with Mark Wallington, Jeff Blockley, Jon Sammels, Steve Whitworth, Frank Worthington, Keith Weller, Steve Kember, Chris Garland. They never won the League though.

If it was this game then sadly he wasn't - https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=1927

15 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Only 7 posts , on a topic concerning a Leicester,favourite, Legend und One of the best players that played for Leicester...!!:cry:

13 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

I think Davie G and fuchsntf are old enough to have seen him playing. Myself included.

I remember him well. Good player and 100% effort always. Bit like Forest's Pearce but not quite as big. I'd forgotten David Nish another great player. Think they were both half backs. With Mclintock, Davie Gibson,  Banks and Stringfellow in that team they maybe could have won the league given a bit of luck . With Gillies as manager they were certainly pretty formidable for 2/3 years  and came close. The rest of the team who I don't remember (Chalmers as a full back ?) were n't bad either. Frank O'Farrell came maybe  next as manager ,he was pretty good IMO and  one of many reasons I dislike Man U is they soon lured O'Farrell away and then dropped him quickly. We had huge gates then , all standing and often I left the stadium backwards with my feet off the ground.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 2

Great to read his recollections. I saw him play in many games over the years.  The memory that first comes to mind is seeing his goal in the FA Cup in 1971 vs Torquay - the ball came out to him on the right-side edge of the area and he slammed it in first time, I was in the Popular side and directly in line with him and the goal and had a great view of it hit the back of the net - maybe I remember that well as its timing coincided with the symptoms of a hangover suddenly disappearing.  I remember Cross also being picked as a substitute fielder for England's cricket team, and was watching on TV when he came on in a test match, presumably to relieve someone who had to relieve himself!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

I remember him well. Good player and 100% effort always. Bit like Forest's Pearce but not quite as big. I'd forgotten David Nish another great player. Think they were both half backs. With Mclintock, Davie Gibson,  Banks and Stringfellow in that team they maybe could have won the league given a bit of luck . With Gillies as manager they were certainly pretty formidable for 2/3 years  and came close. The rest of the team who I don't remember (Chalmers as a full back ?) were n't bad either. Frank O'Farrell came maybe  next as manager ,he was pretty good IMO and  one of many reasons I dislike Man U is they soon lured O'Farrell away and then dropped him quickly. We had huge gates then , all standing and often I left the stadium backwards with my feet off the ground.

Nosh was a fantastic, cultured player. He eventually settled at left back and was transferred to Clough's Derby, I think, and played for England.  While at Leicester he also played midfield, and centreforward, and possibly other positions.  He was so versatile.  A local lad too, from Measham, I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good man .Very good golfer still but not too keen to discuss footy from the time Ive played in the same group.

Same team was Steve Whitworth who i never forgave for nicking my girlfriend June and John Sjoberg another superb fella  lived in Kirby MUxloe and played golf with us but sadly died a good few years back.Back then you just felt more connected with the local lads in the side

Graham Cross was in first game I ever saw at Filbert Street. What a privilege to be there that day. Legends all over the pitch!

Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur, 23 March 1963

Score 2-2
Competition League Division One
Venue Filbert Street
Attendance 41,622

Goals:

Ken Keyworth     G
Mike Stringfellow     G

Goals:

Jimmy Greaves     G
Bobby Smith     G

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperGordon Banks
DefenderJohn Sjoberg
Central defenderGraham Cross
Defender/MidfielderFrank McLintock
Left backRichie Norman
Centre halfIan King
Wing halfColin Appleton
Outside LeftMike Stringfellow
Outside rightHoward Riley
Centre Forward/Wing halfKen Keyworth
Inside forwardDave Gibson

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperBill Brown
DefenderMel Hopkins
DefenderMaurice Norman
Defender/MidfielderDave Mackay
Left backRon Henry
Wing halfTony Marchi
ForwardJimmy Greaves
ForwardFrank Saul
ForwardBobby Smith
WingerCliff Jones
Inside forwardJohn White

1 hour ago, Halifax Fox said:

Graham Cross was in first game I ever saw at Filbert Street. What a privilege to be there that day. Legends all over the pitch!

Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur, 23 March 1963

Score 2-2
Competition League Division One
Venue Filbert Street
Attendance 41,622

Goals:

Ken Keyworth     G
Mike Stringfellow     G

Goals:

Jimmy Greaves     G
Bobby Smith     G

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperGordon Banks
DefenderJohn Sjoberg
Central defenderGraham Cross
Defender/MidfielderFrank McLintock
Left backRichie Norman
Centre halfIan King
Wing halfColin Appleton
Outside LeftMike Stringfellow
Outside rightHoward Riley
Centre Forward/Wing halfKen Keyworth
Inside forwardDave Gibson

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperBill Brown
DefenderMel Hopkins
DefenderMaurice Norman
Defender/MidfielderDave Mackay
Left backRon Henry
Wing halfTony Marchi
ForwardJimmy Greaves
ForwardFrank Saul
ForwardBobby Smith
WingerCliff Jones
Inside forwardJohn White

Superb team   apart from Keyworth and Norman better man for man than present side  but like most OAPS  tend to think  the  60s side then was the best the club has had