Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Southampton..(H)..up next.

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I thought the bookings are reset at the turn of the year? Or the first suspension is extended to 10 cards? 

It’s when you’ve played everyone once. Usually that does coincide with the new year but things are obviously different this year. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Ah yeah of course

First time I'd realised that the fixture list was arranged like a nine hole golf course , playing each hole once then going round again( but not necessarily in the same order.) Thanks.

Edited by Alan Frost

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I have an irrational fear that Soyuncu coming back to full fitness will hinder not help us. I think Rodgers will be pushed in to playing him with Evans and Fofana and I can't remember Soyuncu ever having a good game in a back 3, if we do go with this then Evans has to be the LCB as Soyuncu gets badly exposed.

Since I used to go to live football practically every Saturday there are things I don't really understand in the modern game , I understand full backs now often operate as wingers but I still tend to think of them also as the last line of defenders which is obviously not now true unless the defending "half backs"slow the attackers until the "full backs" get into position. Anyway someome can sort me out later on that.

I do think you have a good point although i would say I've seen Cags (and occasionally Fofana ) exposed but I've never seen Cags (or Fofana) have what I would call a bad game. Do you not think that BR will be aware of this? I do agree with you that Evans experience will spot this but I would put him centrally to cover either of them and to also cover one or the others forays forward. 

I do like the fact that Soyuncu and Foifana come forward (so does Evans occasionally) as it means they are often passing forward and well from almost as far forward as Thielemans when we've been defending. Much more attractive to watch than seeing the 3 making passes to each other across the back my grandmother could have made. 

• Like 1

Further to Ric Flair.'s post. I can't remember who Soyuncu replaced last week but he did play on the left more. I omitted to say BR does not seem to encourage this passing acorss the back three I'm very glad to say. I've never seen the point of it even when a team is two up and playing out time. I can think of theoretical reasons but I don't think they are valid.

If I seem over concerned its because I think 3 points are very important tonight. Its a key match.

55 minutes ago, Alan Frost said:

Further to Ric Flair.'s post. I can't remember who Soyuncu replaced last week but he did play on the left more. I omitted to say BR does not seem to encourage this passing acorss the back three I'm very glad to say. I've never seen the point of it even when a team is two up and playing out time. I can think of theoretical reasons but I don't think they are valid.

If I seem over concerned its because I think 3 points are very important tonight. Its a key match.

Soyuncu played LCB in a back 3 every time we played it last season and I thought he was nowhere near as dominant as when we played a back four where he was the standout CB in the PL last season behind that lump from Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I have an irrational fear that Soyuncu coming back to full fitness will hinder not help us. I think Rodgers will be pushed in to playing him with Evans and Fofana and I can't remember Soyuncu ever having a good game in a back 3, if we do go with this then Evans has to be the LCB as Soyuncu gets badly exposed.

Little wes is managing a knee problem and Johnny isn’t a machine ...... the three of them can rotate the two although I suspect evans will be first choice in any pairing in tougher fixtures 

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Soyuncu played LCB in a back 3 every time we played it last season and I thought he was nowhere near as dominant as when we played a back four where he was the standout CB in the PL last season behind that lump from Liverpool.

...did he not play RCB against Villa in the cup!!!

He looked out of place and his reluctance to close the space to the wide Villa attacker was a feature of the success they had in getting balls in to our box and I am sure their initial goal came about that way as well.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...did he not play RCB against Villa in the cup!!!

He looked out of place and his reluctance to close the space to the wide Villa attacker was a feature of the success they had in getting balls in to our box and I am sure their initial goal came about that way as well.

I thought he always played LCB which was odd given Evans is left footed, or at least very comfortable with his left.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I thought he always played LCB which was odd given Evans is left footed, or at least very comfortable with his left.

Soyuncu did have a few games at RCB around this time last year in a back five and it was a mess, as it usually is but he was so uncomfortable on the right.

The Fofana and Evans partnership is ideal and shouldn't be messed with.

20 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I don't think Soyunchu is as good as Fofana. Which is incredible really.

Yeah, its a conundrum but I'm not ready to call it yet - it's a bit like Justin v Ricardo debate... I think a Soyunco at the top of his game I haven't been reminded of for some time - absence made the heart grow colder?

Eventually, Evans won't be playing every game so these two are our future pairing hopefully.

It will likely be Justin that has to give way to a returning Ricardo or Soyu which is a shame as he is improving all the time while playing but Brenda will likely see him as a wild card super sub that can slot into one of three positions/roles as tactics, injuries or yellow cards demand. Having a flexible sub is worth a lot, a lot more than having a one role player on the bench.

33 minutes ago, Mark said:

Soyuncu did have a few games at RCB around this time last year in a back five and it was a mess, as it usually is but he was so uncomfortable on the right.

The Fofana and Evans partnership is ideal and shouldn't be messed with.

Was it RCB? I've had a mare, either way he looked nowhere near as good as he did in a back 4. I love him but I do feel we have changed dynamic this season and I hope he's compatible again.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Was it RCB? I've had a mare, either way he looked nowhere near as good as he did in a back 4. I love him but I do feel we have changed dynamic this season and I hope he's compatible again.

It was in a three but he was right, not centre or left. I vaguely recall him being right in a two as well though - just checked it was the defeat home to Southampton.

Edited by Mark

15 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

You never know, Brendan might go balls deep when Soyuncu has some game time and gets back to form with him and Little Wes in a pairing. 

A back 5 of Ricardo, Justin, fofana, söyüncü and castagne would be pretty mobile! Name a quicker back line. Ever!

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yeah in a three, I vaguely recall him being right in a two as well though for a game in the early parts of the season though. We were winning regularly and it seemed like Rodgers was tinkering for the sake of it at the time.

I hope Saints don't temporarily spoil it tonight but following my habit of reading old posts about our current squad I just read Wes F's. What a pleasure again. I 'll sound stupid saying it but I would say one club stands out in having most potential in the PL and I can hardly believe it looks like the club I support. I'm thinking of our current team/squad, manager, recruitment squad, owners, training facilities. Something could still go wrong but Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana in pairs or with all 3 playing together with Justin, Castagne,Pereira,Kasper,Vardy,Thielemans  and a strong supporting cast we already have.......

I was a sales manager so cynicism came easily, can it really be as good as it looks to me ? I am practically a worshipper of the unbelievables but this squad could match them and maybe out do them.

• Like 1