Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Florian Thauvin

On 01/02/2021 at 11:31, volpeazzurro said:

😄 I don't quite get how he's suddenly gained almost superstar quality with some. After a poor spell with Newcastle he's had a very decent career in France and got a few caps for the national side. At nearly 29yrs there doesn't appear to have been much interest from bigger clubs in Europe though for some reason. The last two players of a similar age that came here, Slimani and Silva didn't exactly shine and I would suggest the former on paper had more going for him.  Being a winger, it might be a bit much at his age to suddenly adapt to our more physical and fast paced game and Rodgers system. Having said that I do agree with the poster who mentioned signing older players like Huth and Albrighton but I think their abilities in this country were a little more transparent. Just because he's on a free doesn't mean he'll be cheap either. Under, if deemed good enough, appears more likely to fit the mould. 

AC Milan is mentioned in nearly every article about him. And if you’re concerned with how he can do in a physical game, watch the highlights of their game against PSG earlier this season, which was one of the nastiest games I’ve seen in a while— he was outstanding in that game and did very well on the ball with 2 of 3 PSG players hacking at his legs. 

Edited by The_77
Spelling

3 minutes ago, The_77 said:

AC Milan is mentioned in nearly every article about him. And if you’re concerned with how he can do in a physical game, watch the highlights of their game against PSG earlier this season, which was one of the nastiest games I’ve seen in a while— he was outstanding in that game and did very well on the ball with 2 of 3 PSG players hacking at his legs. 

B59654A6-19F7-4ED7-BF53-474AD40EFB8A.jpeg

4 hours ago, The_77 said:

When I mention other teams coming in for him I meant up and til now at almost 29, the best part of his career. Milan wouldn't be paying a transfer fee of course and I think he'd probably thrive in Italy. 

My point about physicality etc is not just in a one off game or even that he's weak, I just mean that to some foreign players, Under for example, the type of relentless stamina and pace required and expected defensive work can be quite a change to start with from what theymay be used to. For the players I mentioned, at a certain age when they came, perhaps it was too much to ask or expect. 

9 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

From my limited knowledge, this is guy I’d love us to get! Looks class! 

Can’t say I know much about the guy but If he was that good why did he only manage 13 games over 2 seasons for a very limited Newcastle side?

2 hours ago, dayday said:

Can’t say I know much about the guy but If he was that good why did he only manage 13 games over 2 seasons for a very limited Newcastle side?

Could be similar to Salahs first premier league run..he also only 13 games over 2 seasons with Chelsea. Just didn’t work out.

Edited by les-tah

56 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Thauvin was criticised by Newcastle's all-time top scorer Alan Shearer for turning up to a game wearing a tuxedo. In February 2016, he told L'Équipe that the criticism was unfair and affected his performances.[16]

🤣

Pretty much summed it up at the time...

I remember this well and watching it at the time. Shearer was justifiably pissed. It had started on the first game of the season with Chancel Mbemba. Shearer's point was that by this time into the season, Newcastle were performing poorly and majorly letting their fans down. Thauvin in particular was dreadful at Newcastle, regularly went missing, never settled in the Premier League and despite the emotional investment and pleas of some members on here desperate for his signature and insisting that he was the victim of a crap team, nonetheless, his attitude there stank. Anyway, he was still inexplicably reproducing this stunt weeks later when actually:

1/ It wasn't his.

2/It actually wasn't that funny the first time.

What made it even more cringeworthy was the fact that he was clearly under the impression that it/he was. But that's the thing about many of our professional footballers, bless 'em. With more air in their heads than an EFL match day mitre, it's rare that anything vaguely resembling an original thought ever creeps in there. - One of the reasons you still see players charging over to perform the obligatory knee slide at the corner flag with their thumb in their mouth or within weeks of Klinsmann's self-deprecating dive celebration, every goal scorer in the league following suit without realising the irony. 

Anyway, as a player, if you really must insist upon turning up to a Premier League fixture sporting a tux, at the very least ensure that you turn up on the pitch. 

Edited by Line-X

4 hours ago, dayday said:

Yeah I wouldn't really judge him off his time at Newcastle

Only season he was with them (2015/16) he was having to play in a crap Newcastle side managed by Steve McLaren, and the few times he did play he was played out of position on the left wing

I think he was 22/23 at the time when he joined, and we have seen with Cags how long it can take for foreign players to settle in, can't have been helped that when you start just 3 league games in half a season and still get criticism from a club legend, I can't really blame him for wanting to go back to Marseille

Interestingly Thauvin says he wasn't the only one who turned up in a Tux either, so very strange that Thauvin is the one player Shearer decided have a go at

Smashed it ever since he returned to Marseille though

Just asked a Newcastle fan what he was like and was told that Pardew didn't know what to do with him and that he complained about the phsyicality of the league, which is why he went back to France. Doesn't sound like someone who's going to do that dirty work that Brendan is so fond of.

Checked his whoscored page to see if that is backed up and it looks like it is. Has anyone got Brendan's email? Let's not have another good quality player that isn't the second coming of Danny Simpson sat on the bench.

image.png.700a67a7334d2a7e2e880667f8594cf0.png

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Interestingly Thauvin says he wasn't the only one who turned up in a Tux either, so very strange that Thauvin is the one player Shearer decided have a go at

He wasn't - but by the time he did it was done to death and the MOTD response by Shearer featured footage of him in particular. It was ill judged given their performances - or lack of - on the pitch. 

14 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

When I mention other teams coming in for him I meant up and til now at almost 29, the best part of his career. Milan wouldn't be paying a transfer fee of course and I think he'd probably thrive in Italy. 

My point about physicality etc is not just in a one off game or even that he's weak, I just mean that to some foreign players, Under for example, the type of relentless stamina and pace required and expected defensive work can be quite a change to start with from what theymay be used to. For the players I mentioned, at a certain age when they came, perhaps it was too much to ask or expect. 

I’ve watched more than one Marseille game and was just using that as an example. :P We know the Premier League is more demanding than Ligue 1 (probably the biggest difference out of the big leagues in terms of intensity, according to the stats) but aside from his surgery last season, Thauvin has been very durable. That he’s having the season he is with all of the nonsense happening at Marseille is impressive.

We’re still not at the point where we’re signing the top clubs’ targets; we really done that once with Youri. Thauvin’s been playing for a big club that has consistently qualified for European competitions. 

Look, I know he’s not at the ideal age and he’s not going to be the answer to all our prayers, don’t get me wrong :P ; however, he’s a quality player, the price is right, and it’ll be seen as a strong statement if we sign him— rightly so. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_77 said:

I’ve watched more than one Marseille game and was just using that as an example. :P We know the Premier League is more demanding than Ligue 1 (probably the biggest difference out of the big leagues in terms of intensity, according to the stats) but aside from his surgery last season, Thauvin has been very durable. That he’s having the season he is with all of the nonsense happening at Marseille is impressive.

We’re still not at the point where we’re signing the top clubs’ targets; we really done that once with Youri. Thauvin’s been playing for a big club that has consistently qualified for European competitions. 

Look, I know he’s not at the ideal age and he’s not going to be the answer to all our prayers, don’t get me wrong :P ; however, he’s a quality player, the price is right, and it’ll be seen as a strong statement if we sign him— rightly so. 

I swear I’m not the guy’s damn agent lol

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Just asked a Newcastle fan what he was like and was told that Pardew didn't know what to do with him and that he complained about the phsyicality of the league, which is why he went back to France. Doesn't sound like someone who's going to do that dirty work that Brendan is so fond of.

Checked his whoscored page to see if that is backed up and it looks like it is. Has anyone got Brendan's email? Let's not have another good quality player that isn't the second coming of Danny Simpson sat on the bench.

image.png.700a67a7334d2a7e2e880667f8594cf0.png

Padrew wasn’t Newcastle’s manager that season, so we’ll leave the scouting to Congerton’s boys, ha :brendan_still:

1 minute ago, The_77 said:

Padrew wasn’t Newcastle’s manager that season, so we’ll leave the scouting to Congerton’s boys, ha :brendan_still:

lol he's done me!

Either way, as good as his goalscoring and assists look, which they do look pretty sweet. I hope we're confident that he'll slip right into the team because I've had enough of us making terrible signings of forwards that either don't get a chance or simply aren't good enough

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, The_77 said:

And a proven failure in the Premier League - which apparently was entirely due to poor management and the fact that Newcastle were crap...nothing to do with him. I accept that he has sustained a high level of performance since his return to Marseilles, impressed in Europa, and then there was that overhead bicycle kick against...Andorra, and yeah, ok, the stats speak for themselves. Saying all that, Ligue 1 is not the Premier League. For all his technical skills, finesse and close control, there was not even a glimpse of this at the Toon and no evidence that he would be able to reproduce this in a league renowned for its physicality, pace and intensity. I guess there's always the potential to turn up pre-match in a tuxedo should he wish to revive that old chestnut though. And how we laughed. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry but anyone still writing the guy off because a lifetime ago he had a brief stint at a shit Newcastle and wasn't electric needs to just shut the **** up and stop embarrassing themselves. 

And if you find yourself arguing with someone like that, just stop. You won't convince them. Let it go. 

He had a season at Newcastle - since then, his form has been highly impressive, both in domestic and European competition. As I said, his quality is demonstrable and the stats speak for themselves. By the same token, anyone expecting that it is a given that he will be able to duplicate this in the Premier League - and you'll find plenty of them on this thread, is equally as deluded as those that would simply judge him from his brief tenure at the Toon. But as usual, this forum likes to polarise opinion. Either way, it's not a case of 'convincing' - we simply don't know, Simply regurgitating that he was in a crap team under crap managers is equally as one dimensional.

I haven't and wouldn't "write him off'. What concerned me, irrespective of his appreciable talent, which isn't in question, was his attitude and application when times were tough - during which, he regularly went missing which is partially the reason he was singled out by Shearer. Questions about adapting to the intensity and physicality of the PL in comparison to Ligue 1 aside, (since there are many, many French players that have adapted over the years), is this really the sort of player that we wish to recruit and welcome aboard the rollercoaster ride that is LCFC? I've always been apprehensive of unproven talent in the Premier League, that's all. Newcastle may not have elicited or showcased the best of his talent and potential, but if nothing else, it certainly did test his mettle. If you wish to disregard that and see it as brief aberration in his career simply because he was at a crap team, then perhaps you are right, personally I am inclined to disagree - but I may of course be wrong. However, to reiterate, a degree of scepticism is not as you say "writing him off" from my perspective. 

27 minutes ago, Line-X said:

He had a season at Newcastle - since then, his form has been highly impressive, both in domestic and European competition. As I said, his quality is demonstrable and the stats speak for themselves. By the same token, anyone expecting that it is a given that he will be able to duplicate this in the Premier League - and you'll find plenty of them on this thread, is equally as deluded as those that would simply judge him from his brief tenure at the Toon. But as usual, this forum likes to polarise opinion. Either way, it's not a case of 'convincing' - we simply don't know, Simply regurgitating that he was in a crap team under crap managers is equally as one dimensional.

I haven't and wouldn't "write him off'. What concerned me, irrespective of his appreciable talent, which isn't in question, was his attitude and application when times were tough - during which, he regularly went missing which is partially the reason he was singled out by Shearer. Questions about adapting to the intensity and physicality of the PL in comparison to Ligue 1 aside, (since there are many, many French players that have adapted over the years), is this really the sort of player that we wish to recruit and welcome aboard the rollercoaster ride that is LCFC? I've always been apprehensive of unproven talent in the Premier League, that's all. Newcastle may not have elicited or showcased the best of his talent and potential, but if nothing else, it certainly did test his mettle. If you wish to disregard that and see it as brief aberration in his career simply because he was at a crap team, then perhaps you are right, personally I am inclined to disagree - but I may of course be wrong. However, to reiterate, a degree of scepticism is not as you say "writing him off" from my perspective. 

I wouldn't really say he regularly went missing whilst at Newcastle, especially when you look at the amount of time he actually played for them, he barely got a chance to even show what he could do

Premier League - 3 starts, subbed in 10 times, played a total of 420 minutes (equivalent of just over 4 and half games) and only twice in these games was he played in his natural right wing position, for some reason McLaren played him on the left, which is a position he has barely ever played in throughout his career

FA Cup - Subbed in 1 game, played 38 minutes

League Cup - Started 2 games, played 110 minutes

In total his Newcastle career amounted to 568 minutes of play time, or just over 6 games worth, whilst also having to play under the "wolly with the brolly", often out of position, I think it is very harsh to judge him on his time at Newcastle

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Thauvin was criticised by Newcastle's all-time top scorer Alan Shearer for turning up to a game wearing a tuxedo. In February 2016, he told L'Équipe that the criticism was unfair and affected his performances.[16]

🤣

Imagine when he puts in some peak Kelechi performance, the blokes going to be sobbing with some of the stuff that ends up on Twitter.

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I wouldn't really say he regularly went missing whilst at Newcastle, especially when you look at the amount of time he actually played for them, he barely got a chance to even show what he could do

Premier League - 3 starts, subbed in 10 times, played a total of 420 minutes (equivalent of just over 4 and half games) and only twice in these games was he played in his natural right wing position, for some reason McLaren played him on the left, which is a position he has barely ever played in throughout his career

FA Cup - Subbed in 1 game, played 38 minutes

League Cup - Started 2 games, played 110 minutes

In total his Newcastle career amounted to 568 minutes of play time, or just over 6 games worth, whilst also having to play under the "wolly with the brolly", often out of position, I think it is very harsh to judge him on his time at Newcastle

Thanks for your reply. And of those two games, he was pretty anonymous. You are absolutely correct that he was frequently played out of position and came off the bench - albeit as an impact player without the impact. You will I'm sure concede, that there are many players that have in such situations sufficiently impressed to state their case for the starting XI. Many are currently similarly mystified over the current plight of Ünder - with the news now emerging that Thauvin may be as we speak in the process of being lined up as an alternative. I can see him ending up at AC Milan. Anyhow, we simply are not privy to what is going on behind the scenes, how the players fit in and acquit themselves in training. Also, I was under the impression that one of his selling points is the ability to switch flanks. I haven't checked the stats, but I know that in 13 appearances he mustered one shot on target. Also, I'm fairly confident that he played under Rafa that season and not just McClaren. 

I actually agree with yourself and @Finnegan that it would certainly be foolhardy to place too much emphasis on his time at Newcastle, even though I maintain that his commitment was dubious. My concern would be his attitude and that, if we do disregard his tenure at the Toon, then as I said, he is to all intents and purposes untried and untested in the Premier League. So was Kante, so was Mahrez although at times the attitude of the latter stank. I think it's fair to at least say say that in the talent stakes, Thauvin is likely no Riyad. I guess as the departing Steve Walsh duly noted, much of his success here in recruitment was the ability to evaluate a potential player's character and I'm certain that if Thauvin is on the shopping list, then the due diligence, the references and testimonies are duly underway. 

I was equally sceptical about Ünder based upon his outgoing season at Roma. Conversely, Thauvin has been highly impressive. Happy to have any doubts waylaid and proved wrong. 

Question, can he track back and defend when necessary?