Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Florian Thauvin

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

Reminds me of Under. All the tricks, speed, and directness. Can he defend/press? Because for me this is whats keeping Under out of the team and Albrighton on.

And now I read Ricardo, Under and Albrighton are competing for Right Wingback? Will someone please tell me whats going on?

Not sure you can compare the two. Thauvins numbers for the past 5 years are immense compared to under’s. (Without watching them both play)

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

Reminds me of Under. All the tricks, speed, and directness. Can he defend/press? Because for me this is whats keeping Under out of the team and Albrighton on.

And now I read Ricardo, Under and Albrighton are competing for Right Wingback? Will someone please tell me whats going on?

I would say it's more than that that is keeping Under out of the side.

He gives the ball away a ridiculous amount. Plays a high risk high reward game that doesn't seem to suit our style. A lot of our attacks break up because he's trying a 360 no look over head half volley from 50 yards out when an easy pass is on.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Oh here we go. 

I mean we only found Ngolo Kante there and Riyad in the league below but yknow. 

And Fousseni Diabaté. lol

Btw, Vardy was also found in non-league football. Doesn't mean all non-league players will thrive in the EPL.

'Caution' is just that - acknowledgement of perspective that Ligue 1 numbers often does not translate to the EPL. 

Edited by NaijaFox

Could be worth a punt in the short term. Newcastle wasn't good for him but they were an utter calamity under McClaren. No one came out of that one with much credit.

He may not be another Mahrez but could keep us ticking over. Would say he might have a bit more to offer us than Erikssen. 

Edited by Blue ROI

26 minutes ago, The_77 said:

I’ve watched a decent amount of Marseille this season and he’s looked great for most of it. 

I also think he is a good player, but not because of the numbers.

If I was judging between him and Under (who was mostly injured at Roma), it wouldn't come down to the numbers. Doubtful Thauvin would have similar numbers in Serie A (even ignoring his prior EPL numbers). It's simply about PERSPECTIVE, not a judgment.  

Edited by NaijaFox

44 minutes ago, The_77 said:

I’ve watched a decent amount of Marseille this season and he’s looked great for most of it. 

But what's his mentality like if things aren't going his way? Did he not refuse to play fo Lille to get his move back to Bastia some years ago? Though admittedly he had an unhappy time at a poor Newcastle side, did he not kick off again there until he got an initial loan deal back in France with Marseille? And what about now, isn't he one of a group of players effectively in disagreement with their manager and subsequent poor performances have led to the chairman saying that he and certain other can leave ASAP? Perhaps there's more to him than just his alleged talent but we can't afford any big time Charlie's or Gaelic shrugs if he doesn't get the appearances or treatment he wants. Sometimes there's just uninformed tittle tattle on social media but sometimes there's no smoke without fire. To be honest I don't know what the truth is but I'm sure Rodgers and his team will be abreast of the situation and come to the right decision. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

But what's his mentality like if things aren't going his way? Did he not refuse to play fo Lille to get his move back to Bastia some years ago? Though admittedly he had an unhappy time at a poor Newcastle side, did he not kick off again there until he got an initial loan deal back in France with Marseille? And what about now, isn't he one of a group of players effectively in disagreement with their manager and subsequent poor performances have led to the chairman saying that he and certain other can leave ASAP? Perhaps there's more to him than just his alleged talent but we can't afford any big time Charlie's or Gaelic shrugs if he doesn't get the appearances or treatment he wants. Sometimes there's just uninformed tittle tattle on social media but sometimes there's no smoke without fire. To be honest I don't know what the truth is but I'm sure Rodgers and his team will be abreast of the situation and come to the right decision. 

I’ll call him up in the morning and ask him! :P

• Haha 1

I'll take the fact that Marseille are willing to let him go as some kind of warning sign. Either they are struggling financially and need to get him and his wages off the books, or he is simply not wanted/needed there. This is surprising considering his stats for Marseille are impressive considering he is a winger, but these are Ligue 1 numbers so you have to look at them with a certain level of scepticism. Can they cope with the speed and physicality of the Premier League? Who knows with French League players, he says knowing that we bought N'Golo Kante and Riyad Mahrez from French clubs.

Furthermore, with the value of £18m, or thereabouts, its either no-one feels he is worth that much or the contract offers will come in for him when he leaves on a free with Marseille's blessing. Seems we are "apparently" looking for another midfielder in Dennis Praet's enforced absence, but like the links to Christian Eriksen and Martin Odegaard, but any link to Florian Thauvin, I struggle to really take seriously as I cannot see it happening.

Amongst my absolute drivel, I'm sure there is a point in there somewhere, and its that I'm talking drivel. It's late and I rambled a tad. Apologies.

4 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

I'll take the fact that Marseille are willing to let him go as some kind of warning sign. Either they are struggling financially and need to get him and his wages off the books, or he is simply not wanted/needed there. This is surprising considering his stats for Marseille are impressive considering he is a winger, but these are Ligue 1 numbers so you have to look at them with a certain level of scepticism. Can they cope with the speed and physicality of the Premier League? Who knows with French League players, he says knowing that we bought N'Golo Kante and Riyad Mahrez from French clubs.

Furthermore, with the value of £18m, or thereabouts, its either no-one feels he is worth that much or the contract offers will come in for him when he leaves on a free with Marseille's blessing. Seems we are "apparently" looking for another midfielder in Dennis Praet's enforced absence, but like the links to Christian Eriksen and Martin Odegaard, but any link to Florian Thauvin, I struggle to really take seriously as I cannot see it happening.

Amongst my absolute drivel, I'm sure there is a point in there somewhere, and its that I'm talking drivel. It's late and I rambled a tad. Apologies.

I'm not 100% on this but I THINK he's refusing to sign a new contract so it's either, get as much as they can now or lose him in 6 months for heehaw!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

You have that exactly right. If he's not a fighter and willing to work 100% of the time I doubt Rodgers would consent to a purchase no matter how good a deal it looked. This isn't a place for show ponies if your not willing to do the pressing and defending required. Defending as a team. Just watch us when we're clicking. It's an all action full field game.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if Rodgers looks at Under as a project. Spending the time necessary to make sure that his mentality/work ethic match the squad. He seems to have the raw talent that no one else possesses. Don't think you can teach some of the attacking gifts he has but the defending and pressing I would think are being worked on with him. Don't know why we cant find a left footed attacker who can defend. Perez not good enough attacking. Under not good enough defending. So we end up with Albrighton and Ricardo as right side attackers. Does Thauvin do both? Think I'm losing my mind.

1 hour ago, Bezzanator89 said:

I know what you mean :)

He would take us to the next level

Get Gray to go the other way imo a win win move for both sides since Gray would do better in France. 

We would have to pay him at least 80k a week though. In a time where the wage bill is looking rather big and we really need another striker more then we need a winger. Maybe wait it out untill the summer but by then the bigger clubs could come sniffing. 

He is the closest thing to a Mahrez replacement we can realistically get while still not breaking any club transfer record. For that reason alone its worth a look.

Edited by Fightforever

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

His defensive stats are comparable to our other wide options, and in some cases better. People are trying to read too much into his lack of playing time. He's been carrying a slight injury, and that coupled with the team being settled and on a winning run is the reason we've not seen much of him recently imho.

I really hope that's all it is, but we're at the point now where actions speak louder than words and the appearances clause theory starts to seem more likely.  If he doesn't start against Brentford I don't know you can write it off to anything else besides that being true, and Rodgers deciding he wants him out.

Thauvin is to one footed for me from what I've seen in his Video Clip.  He'd be found out quickly in the Premiership. Though granted it is a good left foot.

I think Under offers more with his trickery. Maybe we should wait until the Summer and see if we can do better..