Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Florian Thauvin

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

And a proven failure in the Premier League - which apparently was entirely due to poor management and the fact that Newcastle were crap...nothing to do with him. I accept that he has sustained a high level of performance since his return to Marseilles, impressed in Europa, and then there was that overhead bicycle kick against...Andorra, and yeah, ok, the stats speak for themselves. Saying all that, Ligue 1 is not the Premier League. For all his technical skills, finesse and close control, there was not even a glimpse of this at the Toon and no evidence that he would be able to reproduce this in a league renowned for its physicality, pace and intensity. I guess there's always the potential to turn up pre-match in a tuxedo should he wish to revive that old chestnut though. And how we laughed. 

One shit season at one shit club.

Just now, The_77 said:

Lucky us.

You don't have to read them, it's a forum, I couldn't care less - but if you did it would prevent you hastily butting in again and reiterating a point that has already been made. Just a suggestion. 

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I know plenty of Newcastle fans who would jump at the chance to get him back. They are a little bit bitter that he was let go so easily.

And equally, I know a few that wouldn't...but that's the point, what do any of us know? Although mistakes are frequently made, I guess that's why football clubs have integrated recruitment programmes as opposed to relying on testimonies and opinions on provincial football forums. Mine for the record, are equally worthless. 

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You don't have to read them, it's a forum, I couldn't care less - but if you did it would prevent you hastily butting in again and reiterating a point that has already been made. Just a suggestion. 

And equally, I know a few that wouldn't...but that's the point, what do any of us know? Although mistakes are frequently made, I guess that's why football clubs have integrated recruitment programmes as opposed to relying on testimonies and opinions on provincial football forums. Mine for the record, are equally worthless. 

You rambled in a completely scattered post. 

6 minutes ago, The_77 said:

You rambled in a completely scattered post. 

Ok then - sincere apologies, for whatever a "completely scattered" post may be. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

He had a season at Newcastle - since then, his form has been highly impressive, both in domestic and European competition. As I said, his quality is demonstrable and the stats speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

I actually agree with yourself and @Finnegan that it would certainly be foolhardy to place too much emphasis on his time at Newcastle,

Clear now? 

I was actually referring to the contributions of others more than my own. 

To reiterate, my sceptisim about him returning to the PL may be completely misplaced, but equally, since we have established that we can disregard Newcastle, he is then untried and tested in this league. We don't know either way. I'm sure that any decision to sign him on behalf of the club will be an informed one. 

He may not even want to come back to English football. Inter may be a better move for him. 

3 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Thought we could sign him now on precontractual agreement?

could be just keeping his options open..

id be surprised if we were the only team in for him... besides he might be waiting to see if we get champions league next year or not

6 hours ago, The_77 said:

I’ve watched more than one Marseille game and was just using that as an example. :P We know the Premier League is more demanding than Ligue 1 (probably the biggest difference out of the big leagues in terms of intensity, according to the stats) but aside from his surgery last season, Thauvin has been very durable. That he’s having the season he is with all of the nonsense happening at Marseille is impressive.

We’re still not at the point where we’re signing the top clubs’ targets; we really done that once with Youri. Thauvin’s been playing for a big club that has consistently qualified for European competitions. 

Look, I know he’s not at the ideal age and he’s not going to be the answer to all our prayers, don’t get me wrong :P ; however, he’s a quality player, the price is right, and it’ll be seen as a strong statement if we sign him— rightly so. 

In fairness the price being free is probably absolutely right and my concerns are probably a little paranoid after Slimani and Silva who were of a similar age. Both appeared to have good pedigree, particularly the former who was a consistent scorer including in the Champions League. Yet at 29yrs, nobody had been convinced enough to ever buy them in the preceding 5 years, why? Both wanting a nice potentially last juicy contract, neither delivered and we were left with big wage contracts. How keen is Thauvin and how willing to learn or accept new things, would he even care if pulling big wages? Older players like Cambiasso are different at a glance. I certainly wouldn't knock the French league either as we haven't done too bad out of it but, unlike Kante,  Marhez, or even Cavani at a big age, why has nobody ever been busting a gut to buy Thauvin? Personality? Trouble maker? He's got form for it, we don't need our young players infected with such attitude if true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

In fairness the price being free is probably absolutely right and my concerns are probably a little paranoid after Slimani and Silva who were of a similar age. Both appeared to have good pedigree, particularly the former who was a consistent scorer including in the Champions League. Yet at 29yrs, nobody had been convinced enough to ever buy them in the preceding 5 years, why? Both wanting a nice potentially last juicy contract, neither delivered and we were left with big wage contracts. How keen is Thauvin and how willing to learn or accept new things, would he even care if pulling big wages? Older players like Cambiasso are different at a glance. I certainly wouldn't knock the French league either as we haven't done too bad out of it but, unlike Kante,  Marhez, or even Cavani at a big age, why has nobody ever been busting a gut to buy Thauvin? Personality? Trouble maker? He's got form for it, we don't need our young players infected with such attitude if true.

I don't know, I said in a previous post that I'm not his agent, I swear! Ha! :P

Valid concerns, for sure. If you believe the reports, he can be had for about 50K a week, which is certainly a lot less than we paid Slimani or Silva.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

Not sure what he’s like defensively but I can see us going for a winger who’s probably like an albrighton with a turn of pace

I think we’ll be back in for McNeil at Burnley. I think he’s ready for a move. Shown clear quality but has stumbled a bit under Dyche in terms of progress. I would offer a double deal for Tarkowski and McNeil. I do feel we need another attacking midfielder though and think we will also go for someone like Thauvin...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JayT - Always A Fox! said:

I think we’ll be back in for McNeil at Burnley. I think he’s ready for a move. Shown clear quality but has stumbled a bit under Dyche in terms of progress. I would offer a double deal for Tarkowski and McNeil. I do feel we need another attacking midfielder though and think we will also go for someone like Thauvin...

He said turn of pace. 

Mcneill makes Albrighton look like Adama Traore 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Thauvin has a lot of the same qualities as Under.  Which are qualities our manager doesn't especially value.  Signing him doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I've attempted to see both sides of this, whilst albeit rather clumsily making the point that recruitment isn't simply a question of his close control or impressive form, but also evaluating character and whether the player would fit in here in terms of the dressing room/culture (in addition to our style of play not to mention the PL). No doubting his appreciable talent - apparently his short tenure at Newcastle can be entirely disregarded being largely consigned to the bench, wrongly deployed under a shit manager and playing in a shit team. I entirely agree that we shouldn't place too much if any emphasis upon his brief spell there, but it does then mean that by that logic he's entirely untried and tested in the Premier League which always makes me wary. Surely there's nothing wrong with that? But what do I know~? - I could be completely wrong, but as usual, it appears to have been decided by decree of Foxes Talk by the usual self-appointed experts/star chamber that he is the instant panacea to our attacking problems on the right, that he would seamlessly combine with Ricardo and that he's somehow the next Messiah and anyone daring to question this or expressing any doubt is an imbecilic troll - the same mentality that saw the likes of Silva and Ünder as the second coming before they'd even inked a deal. When I questioned that at the time - emphasising that my scepticism was simply an opinion, I got similarly flame grilled. Regarding Ünder, before his arrival, my final words on the thread were "I have a feeling this will not end well". Any signing involves an element of risk - we simply don't know, least of all me, least of all this forum. As I said with Cengo - would love see him succeeding here. 

2 hours ago, JayT - Always A Fox! said:

Really hope not. He's always looked a lower league player every time I have seen him, runs into blind alleys and never quite has the ball under control. About the most one-footed player since Wayne Bridge too. Burnley can keep him!

There's a lot of ridiculous 2 + 2 = 6 maths on this forum lately to be honest. 

As far as I'm aware, the only things Rodgers has ever said regards wide players is that we need more goals from wide areas and that he wants more intensity in the press from Under and Perez. 

Some of you are trying to make these things mutually exclusive so you can leap to conclusions and decide you know what sort of players he wants. He doesn't want flair players? He wants defensive wingers? I even heard someone the other day claim Rodgers would never have played Mahrez. 

Boys, calm the F down. Rodgers has spent his entire career looking to play forward thinking, attacking football and scoring goals. He's not going to magically transform in to Sean Dyche, he's still going to want goals from his wingers, he's just not impressed with the ones we have.

It's not like Cengiz Under has a record of scoring stacks of goals and Rodgers is ignoring him because he doesn't play 90% of the game at right back leading the league in tackles.

As for whether or not we'll sign Thauvin, who knows? We either do or we don't but sitting here debating the probability of it based on some of the thinnest assumptions on offer is going to make for a long, boring five or so months til his contract expires. 

@Mark isn't it time Transfer Talk went back in to hibernation again yet? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's a lot of ridiculous 2 + 2 = 6 maths on this forum lately to be honest. 

As far as I'm aware, the only things Rodgers has ever said regards wide players is that we need more goals from wide areas and that he wants more intensity in the press from Under and Perez. 

Some of you are trying to make these things mutually exclusive so you can leap to conclusions and decide you know what sort of players he wants. He doesn't want flair players? He wants defensive wingers? I even heard someone the other day claim Rodgers would never have played Mahrez. 

Boys, calm the F down. Rodgers has spent his entire career looking to play forward thinking, attacking football and scoring goals. He's not going to magically transform in to Sean Dyche, he's still going to want goals from his wingers, he's just not impressed with the ones we have.

It's not like Cengiz Under has a record of scoring stacks of goals and Rodgers is ignoring him because he doesn't play 90% of the game at right back leading the league in tackles.

As for whether or not we'll sign Thauvin, who knows? We either do or we don't but sitting here debating the probability of it based on some of the thinnest assumptions on offer is going to make for a long, boring five or so months til his contract expires. 

@Mark isn't it time Transfer Talk went back in to hibernation again yet? 

Think people are just trying to have a guess as to what kind of winger we can expect to come in, don’t see any harm in that and I don’t think it’s anything negative to say Rodgers probably likes a winger who can defend well when needed