Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

The great slide

It's looking like James Justin will finish up as the top rated player this season in the forum match ratings without kicking another ball as everyone else has hit the slippery snake. I'd be happy with that as he is without any doubt the most improved player by a country mile, OK a short head from Barnes. 

Anyone bringing in comparisons to the slide of last season that did revolve around injuries to Ricardo and later Ndidi but this year, there has been a lot more injuries and unless we pick up downward pace the slide shouldn't be as dramatic whilst having way more injuries and plus the return of the injured playing themselves back into fitness. Its a proper ad-hoc setup at the moment but has anyone hear though, apparently Liverpool have had some injuries this season.

1 minute ago, Bazly said:

It's looking like James Justin will finish up as the top rated player this season in the forum match ratings without kicking another ball as everyone else has hit the slippery snake. I'd be happy with that as he is without any doubt the most improved player by a country mile, OK a short head from Barnes. 

Anyone bringing in comparisons to the slide of last season that did revolve around injuries to Ricardo and later Ndidi but this year, there has been a lot more injuries and unless we pick up downward pace the slide shouldn't be as dramatic whilst having way more injuries and plus the return of the injured playing themselves back into fitness. Its a proper ad-hoc setup at the moment but has anyone hear though, apparently Liverpool have had some injuries this season.

I read an article recently saying that 5 other clubs had lost more players per game than we had this season. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm sorry but if Youri Tielemans doesn't win POTY then it's another fine example of a moronic fan base that we have. Justin has been exceptional, Barnes in large spells too but Youri has been out of this world. 

Deserves it just for being able to still stand at this point! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I read an article recently saying that 5 other clubs had lost more players per game than we had this season. 

It really doesn't feel like it to me.  Obviously I don't follow other clubs closely but I would be surprised if anyone has had it quite as tough as we have.

Your stat in isolation could be misleading.  It doesn't tell you whether they are key players or fringe. 

I found this link listing the teams with number of games missed by injured players:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-pl-clubs-by-the-no-of-games-missed-by-injured-players-in-20-21/

Crystal Palace are top with 53 games missed but crucially, the text underneath reads:

Summer signing Nathan Ferguson hasn’t kicked a ball since January as he continues to suffer from the knee injury that proved problematic at his former club West Brom. 

That and having Connor Wickham and James Tomkins out for large spells, put Palace at the top of the list, but fortunately for Roy Hodgson he’s mostly had his trusted first-choice regulars available.

So have Palace suffered more than us?

We sit 8th on the list with 38 games missed.  That seems light to me having lost Cags for ages, Ricardo, Castagne twice, Ndidi twice, Justin (season over), Fofana, Vardy, Barnes, Perez,  Maddison twice, Praet and Amartey..  That is twelve players and some serious long term crocks.  Have they really only missed an average of just 3 games each?  I don't believe it.  Perhaps it seems worse to us because this list is just for PL and we missed players for Europa League too.

t also seems worse for us because we are currently in the midst of the worse of it.  It is ongoing.  Previously we lost players we could replace (Fofana for Cags, Castagne for Ricardo etc) but now we have lost Barnes and Maddison and with them most of our attacking threat.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

The problem for us us that we have lost crucial players. It's more about who than how many !

Edited by gurru991
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

The problem for us us the we have lost crucial players. It's more about who than how many !

This post made me laugh.  I was trying to make the same point but spent about six paragraphs doing it.  Why didn't I just say that  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I'd take it with a pinch of salt. When sky sports listed Liverpool injuries the other day, 1 was the 4th choice keeper and another was a player who has never played a game in the first team. Them stats mean nothing anyway as yes Liverpool have missed Van Dijk and Gomez but they have still had their key players available for large parts of the season. Liverpool have had it tough but every game they have still fielded a very strong team. Palace apparently have more injuries than us but other than Zaha, which key players they actually missing? Barnes, Maddison and Justin have been 3 of our best players this season. I doubt anyone can say they have 3 of their best players injured. Liverpool have 1. Van Dijk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

That appeared true from  the chart Stuhill posted. 

BR, and the players have  however done an excellent job. BR as he should be has been the most important factor, As Pep continually points out the search is not for excellence, it is for perfection. Perfection means total honesty in my book at least with oneself and I prefer it demonstrated publicly and its missing in two areas imo. Firstly I feel the Vardy fitness situation has an unknown factor which is doing Vardy's eventual legacy no good. Secondly if the Ünder situation is as many suspect I would prefer an honest statement which repects the player and the manager.

Some would argue its wiser to keep some things  opaque, an opinion I respect although imo its always a mistake. Fortunately its only football. were it Politics or Justice it could be more than a mistake, it would be criminal.

Edited by Alan Frost
There was a repetition of "true from"

10 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I personally think Kasper should be in with a shout. His form this season has been sensational. Possibly the best I’ve seen him although keepers never seem to get awards.

You're not wrong, I think his form this season hasn't really been acknowledged for what it is. I know he's a keeper that " stats " wise doesn't come out looking that good but I'd be interested to see if this season is a stark improvement. His shot stopping is unreal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

You're not wrong, I think his form this season hasn't really been acknowledged for what it is. I know he's a keeper that " stats " wise doesn't come out looking that good but I'd be interested to see if this season is a stark improvement. His shot stopping is unreal.

Not only that, I would like him to eventually become our player/assistant manager, hopefully if they continued to be here under Brendan Rogers. My optimistic guess is both would see the mutual benefit of this . Followed by Kasper eventually becoming our manager.

I base this on the slim evidence of Kasper's recent interview posted on the site. Interviews , I was quite impressed with Luke Thomas's interview after Burnley altho Luke unfortunately did n't have such a competent interviewer as Kasper's two interviwers. Justin and Barnes also come across to me very well.

Players attitudes I think tell as much about a player as their playing performance, one of the reasons I have the cheek to post on a football forum.

A PS I was n't so keen on Kasper's dad. , but I was "young and foolish" then, Some would say I 'm younger and stupid now.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alan Frost said:

Secondly if the Ünder situation is as many suspect I would prefer an honest statement which repects the player and the manager.

Rodgers has said that Under needs to learn his defensive responsibilities which he's not been doing because it's not something he's had to do. For most PL teams defending is everyone's job.  I'm not sure he can be any mores hones than that.

Merc

Under has impressed in previous cameos, prompting City supporters to call for the Turkish international to be handed more game-time.

But Rodgers has been reluctant to bring him into tight games because of his lack of experience in the defensive side of the game.

In assessing his performance against the Seagulls, Rodgers said Under was too sloppy in the first half but did praise his involvement in City’s winner, the 23-year-old taking a corner quickly for Youri Tielemans to cross onto Kelechi Iheanacho’s head.

“It’s not easy for him,” said Rodgers. "In the first half he gave the ball away too cheaply and needed to work harder, so we enforced that at half-time."

19 hours ago, Bazly said:

you forgot Vardy...& Maddison, who were proved to be nursing worse injury as expected...Plus Fuchs & Chilwell who both were struggling with knocks...

Youri is POTS by a mile. The lad has been asked to go way above and beyond, he has carried this team at times, (thanks to the injury's). Shows how good he is, a lot of us were concerned he was struggling physically with the league, certainly not something you can say now, he is a monster. And call me mad, but he isn't far behind the likes of De Bruyne.....

• Thanks 1