Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

World class

Vardy is our greatest ever player and I wouldn’t swap him with anyone in the world. World class? Probably. But I get the argument that none of our players are world class. They haven’t even won anything yet. I’d argue Kante clearly was. He won the league with us, won the World Cup then went to Chelsea and won the league. All whilst posting genuinely insane defensive numbers. Ndidi? Tielemans? I mean potentially yes but it’s a bit of a stretch. Of all of our current squad is probably say that, when fit, Ricardo is the closest to world class. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I think I have to agree with you on this, Ndidi is probably our best player and most likely to be world class... but he needs to get in CL and prove his performances across all competitions consistently.

There are 8 teams left in the champions league and he plays against three of them twice a season already. I'm not sure what he performing against Porto and Dortmund adds to the debate, over playing against Man U who were also in the champions league. 

Tielemans is the only one for me currently in that bracket.

I'd put a whole host of players on the cusp though, or having the potential to become world class if they continue their development: Ndidi, Barnes, Maddison, Soyuncu, Fofana, Ricardo, Justin. Basically a huge chunk of our first team.

Schmeichel and Evans for me both fall in the category of very good players rather than world class. Vardy too, since he is too anonymous in tight games without space to attack.

• Like 1

Seen a couple of people mention Maddison as having the potential to be. Not a dig at him at all as he's been largely brilliant for us this season but I don't feel he'll ever quite get there. He's more of a moments player that drifts in and out of games. Terrific attitude and talent but just a bracket down from the others for me

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A person or thing among the best in the world

On the scale of all persons in the world, Demarai Gray is likely in the top 1% when it comes to playing football. As are, Hamza Choudhury, Zsolt Lackzo and Josh Low. 

It's still subjective and relative. 

34 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The Celtic squad is full of international players and we are shit, so as subjective as it is I don't think that's a valid interpretation of world class at all.

I probably should craveate that with top 20 FIFA ranking countries...

11 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Vardy is our greatest ever player and I wouldn’t swap him with anyone in the world. World class? Probably. But I get the argument that none of our players are world class. They haven’t even won anything yet. I’d argue Kante clearly was. He won the league with us, won the World Cup then went to Chelsea and won the league. All whilst posting genuinely insane defensive numbers. Ndidi? Tielemans? I mean potentially yes but it’s a bit of a stretch. Of all of our current squad is probably say that, when fit, Ricardo is the closest to world class. X 

All the players mentioned are capable of producing world class performances, and having periods of form that are the equal of and even better than some players that are considered world class.

But they are also capable of losing 4-1 to a dog shit Bournemouth team when we had the opportunity to clinch a top 4 place and champions league football.

See also Fulham, Norwich,  Zorya, Villa semi final, etc.

The difference between very good players and World class players is that incredible level of consistency. Vardy is a perfect example a real streaky player epitomised by his glorious scoring streak in the title winning season, but then he does tend to go off the boil, injuries, form confidence, whatever it is for a possibly World Class striker he regularly has runs of 8,9,10 games where he can't buy a goal. He's currently on one now and he just needs a goal and he'll go on another scoring run and his performances in the last 2 games have been right up there, except the goal.

How many times do you hear of Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Kane, Mbappe, Cavani, Zlatan, Salah, Aguero, Rashford etc having a goal drought? 

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

On the scale of all persons in the world, Demarai Gray is likely in the top 1% when it comes to playing football. As are, Hamza Choudhury, Zsolt Lackzo and Josh Low. 

It's still subjective and relative. 

Edited by Babylon
Can't be arsed.
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Tielemans is the only one for me currently in that bracket.

I'd put a whole host of players on the cusp though, or having the potential to become world class if they continue their development: Ndidi, Barnes, Maddison, Soyuncu, Fofana, Ricardo, Justin. Basically a huge chunk of our first team.

Schmeichel and Evans for me both fall in the category of very good players rather than world class. Vardy too, since he is too anonymous in tight games without space to attack.

It's all very subjective really isn’t it and depends on our own standards of what we personally think of as world class. Personally, in recent times I could only consider Cambiasso and Kante as in that bracket. Vardy has been very good but still just under the bar or perhaps borderline for me. As for Tielemans, for me, absolutely nowhere near as yet. He's an extremely promising young player and may be on his way there but he's not there yet. Yes, he can make the odd brilliant or even world class pass in a game but he's hardly a Pirlo or Cambiasso! He still, for a supposed world class player, gives the ball away too cheaply at times and can go missing for large parts of the game and be uninfluential. Sometimes,  because we really like a player we can see or imagine things that aren't really there. Is that a bit harsh? No, I don't think so if you're judging him by the highest world class standards. He's an absolutely brilliant young prospect learning his trade and getting better by the minute. Young players of his age are rarely world class, the only two I can think of approaching that at the moment are Mbappe and Harland.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Salah, Aguero

These two have struggled somewhat during this season relative to their previous performances.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

These two have struggled somewhat during this season relative to their previous performances.

This is where I’m coming from

THIS YEAR, pretty much no-one would pick either Salah or Aguero to go into a World 11 side.

So they aren’t ‘world class’ at present.

Have they been ‘world class’? Yes of course they have in the past.

The other way to look at it is are ‘world class’ players the best there have ever been? Eg Messi, Ronaldo, Pele etc 

I look at it contemporaneously personally. 
Messi would still get into a ‘best team in the World’ but would Ronaldo now? Probably I guess.

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It's all very subjective really isn’t it and depends on our own standards of what we personally think of as world class. Personally, in recent times I could only consider Cambiasso and Kante as in that bracket. Vardy has been very good but still just under the bar or perhaps borderline for me. As for Tielemans, for me, absolutely nowhere near as yet. He's an extremely promising young player and may be on his way there but he's not there yet. Yes, he can make the odd brilliant or even world class pass in a game but he's hardly a Pirlo or Cambiasso! He still, for a supposed world class player, gives the ball away too cheaply at times and can go missing for large parts of the game and be uninfluential. Sometimes,  because we really like a player we can see or imagine things that aren't really there. Is that a bit harsh? No, I don't think so if you're judging him by the highest world class standards. He's an absolutely brilliant young prospect learning his trade and getting better by the minute. Young players of his age are rarely world class, the only two I can think of approaching that at the moment are Mbappe and Harland.

I’ll probs get slaughtered for this but Cambiasso is a prime example.

Cambiasso was ‘world class’ for years. But at Leicester he was miles off being world class. He left Inter because he wasn’t going to be getting into their side and was pretty much ever present in a Leicester team that was rooted at the base of the Prem for 3 quarters of a season.

He would have never gotten into a World 11 whilst at Leicester. 
So world class is a transient thing I think. And I maintain, given that definition, both Wilf and Youri are presently ‘world class’ imo

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Aguero has been injured (1 goal in 8 games), Salah has struggled to 17 league goals and 25 goals overall. That's the difference between World Class and very very good. Struggling team difficult season yet still banging in 25 goals.

For me you need to be consistent, every game needs to be an 8+ out of 10. World class players don't go through lean periods, they're too good. If they are going through a "poor" period, it's still better than anyone on the pitch.

For this reason it's Kante for me. He looked a class above anyone in our team and that was a team that included a record breaking Vardy and a Mahrez that contributed what felt like about 100 goals. Top level consistency every game is what helped us win games we should have drawn or drawn games we should have lost.

Youri is the best shout atm. Massive key player for Belgium and has been hitting similar levels of consistency for us all season. Considering his workload, he's been unbelievable. I think he'd have a fair claim to start for any team in the world.

We're incredibly lucky. Great manager, great group of players, some of them are 'elite' players. However, I wouldn't say they are world class. It's a term that gets used too loosely

Being world class to me essentially means being able to perform and excel in the Champions League and Internationally. Someone who has won trophies.

Until they've proven over several years they have done that on a consistent basis and there is an acceptance around the world about just how fcking good they are. I don't think you should consider them to be 'world class'.