Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

BT confirms talks over the future of its sports business

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

A streaming service could be a brilliant way to incorporate the entire football league. A service enabling the purchasing of access to watch games in the Prem, Champ, Lg 1 and Lg 2 respectively. 

You'd have to get buy in from UEFA aswell as The Premier League & the F.A & Football league, but its a dream for sure.

8 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

OK I will knock up a quick financial framework...

I will keep it U.K based, as to do worldwide would become astronomical revenues (200 million viewers in current model) You could x that number if you made the match easier to view for example without getting a subscription with different providers... anyway....

Under the current framework the UK Market is worth £1.7Bn, according to the above information in the vid, I'll take it as correct as I can't be arse to spend that much time on research... :thumbup:

However consider how much you pay to watch any or all of Sky, B.T, Amazon & BBC (License fee). I pay For all of these and its got to be close to £80 a month. I realise I am mental, but we have been in lockdown!

There are apparently 6 million Sky Football subscribers (£45) BT have 2 million (£25) and Amazon 5 million football watchers (lets assume 1 in 3 prime members watch football?) £8.  So that's £78 And a total of 13 million Subscribers over 3 platforms.

13 million x £78 = £1,014,000,000 Monthly and £12.168,000,000 Annually.

Or we could watch lets say all English football for a Monthly subscription for £30, which I'd obviously buy as I currently pay 2.5 times more for. I'd suggest that more people would pay £30 than £78. 

You could still sell rights to commercial companies, to make programs such as MOTD, Soccer AM, or whatever...these would be less, but its still revenue!

The revenue would be split by a % basis for each premier league club, and would be based on final league position rather than viewers! Also not split disproportionately, so a rule could be something like the club who finish bottom can not receive less than 80% of the revenue that the Champions receive. 

However, the Premier League can only take something like a 30% share of total revenues, the Championship can have 20%, League 1 15% League 2 10%... the the rest of the 25% can be distributed down the pyramid. (these % figures I have just pulled outta my arse ;))

I am aware that this is a cheaper deal for U.K Subscribers if numbers remained the same at 13 million, I am sure they would go up, but not double, or treble...

The shortfall, would be made up with the worldwide subscriptions, which would also explode in demand in my humble opinion :thumbup:

I think you need to send this to the club.

51 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

People seem to be confusing subscribing to a channel with paying for ppv. You pay the subscription to get access to all the leagues matches not just an individual club so why would it lead to disparity in income between the "big" clubs and the rest of the league? 

They already get a bigger share of the overseas revenues so I doubt they'd settle for anything that is remotely equal. If it was turned down the Super League would rise again not that it's disappeared.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Indeed, a thought lots have had

Including the organisers of Super League, they had a similar concept, though clubs would sell the rights to view streams on their own sites I think. For at least a few games per year. Money direct to clubs, main loser is the broadcasters. 

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Right. Get on to Netflix. Pitch the idea. Be reasonable on your demands. I’ll go for 50% for suggesting it to you. Win win. 

Suggest Netflix Sport

NetSport. Or, if it was just the footy, NetBall. 

Wait...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nwl fox said:

People seem to be confusing subscribing to a channel with paying for ppv. You pay the subscription to get access to all the leagues matches not just an individual club so why would it lead to disparity in income between the "big" clubs and the rest of the league? 

I read the initial comment as proposing an iFollow-type subscription for one club's games. I only watch Leicester games so don't have an interest in paying the extra premium for all other games. The iFollow model would be what I'd prefer to subscribe to, but obviously it would not be good for the club. 

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I would imagine because the Big 6 would negotiate a bigger slice claiming that the whole project and the vast numbers of subscribers is down to them - and they would be justified to an extent. 

But we're talking about the league negotiating it, not the clubs. Probably no better time for that to be done as well tbh with the big 6 already being on the back foot from their esl disaster

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nwl fox said:

But we're talking about the league negotiating it, not the clubs. Probably no better time for that to be done as well tbh with the big 6 already being on the back foot from their esl disaster

The Premier League negotiated the overseas revenue distribution and the Rich 6 get a larger share of that

3 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

I don't understand why the Premier League clubs just don't create a "Netflix" style streaming service, rather than selling the games to the likes of Sky, Supersport & Fox.

They would generate far more revenue for the clubs if they sold each game for a fixed price. Can you imagine the potentially Multi millions of subscribers  they would have, it would be worth more than Netflix.

I agree, but I expect they risk averse, its does have that hint of a gamble about it, but as long as its priced reasonably it should take off very well.  They should also combine it with 1-2 FTA games per week to get interest from people outside of the eco system as well.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I would imagine because the Big 6 would negotiate a bigger slice claiming that the whole project and the vast numbers of subscribers is down to them - and they would be justified to an extent. 

They would definitely try, but the failed ESL has actually proven the rest of the league structure matters and its not just about the glory clubs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

The Premier League negotiated the overseas revenue distribution and the Rich 6 get a larger share of that

I don't disagree that some clubs should receive more than others, but it should be based on sporting merit, not any other metric. Also there should be a limit to the top earners to bottom earners, to keep the completion a worthy competition.

In comparison, my streaming of music and TV is around £10-12 per month per service, though I do occasionally drop out of them.

I think that's the price that works. The current broadcasting model absolutely needs to die in a fire. I have never paid for Sky or BT. I refuse. The costs are insane. 

• Like 1

Only problem with the streaming service is it becomes part of a closed shop. It’s fine in England where the game is so big it sells itself and everyone plays it growing up, not so good if you’re going to try and grow your product, say in North America.

Also, I don’t think I’ve watched less football recently. It’s like having all the games on has made it less appetising. Before I’d watch virtually anything I could. Now it’s quite often watch the Leicester game but can’t be arsed with anything else, even though there’s less other things going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nwl fox said:

You do not know the power of the Dark Sides. 

So what’s different to this than the “big 6” owners ??? 

they have invested little in Football just took the product bought it up and used it to dress up a business that was not going anywhere 

just the same as Abu Dhabi/ Russians and Americans in the clubs here 

parasites feeding off the working mans pay packets 

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

What “unnamed British broadcaster” has the cash to buy them other than Sky? Can’t be them as CMA wouldn’t allow it. 

Wasn't that down more to the European Competitions Commission?

8 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

I don't understand why the Premier League clubs just don't create a "Netflix" style streaming service, rather than selling the games to the likes of Sky, Supersport & Fox.

They would generate far more revenue for the clubs if they sold each game for a fixed price. Can you imagine the potentially Multi millions of subscribers  they would have, it would be worth more than Netflix.

This would skew the income for the big 6 and effectively ruin anyone else. The current system is about as fair as it gets.