Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Matty James

https://the72.co.uk/234164/coventry-city-expected-to-pursue-deal-for-loan-man/

Coventry City loanee Matty James is ‘expected to be offered a permanent contract’ this summer, as per a report by Coventry Live. 

The Sky Blues are keen to snap him up assuming his wage demands are not too high.

James, who is 29 years old, is down the pecking order at current side Leicester City and it remains to be seen whether they will let him leave.

The midfielder spent the first-half of this season on loan at Barnsley before linking up with Coventry in January.

Read: Three goalkeepers Coventry City could sign this summer 

James has since become a key player for Mark Robins’ side and has helped them secure their Championship status, playing 23 games since his winter move.

The ex-England Under-20 international started his career at Manchester United and rose up through the youth ranks at Old Trafford. He never made a senior appearance for the Red Devils but enjoyed two campaigns out on loan at Preston North End.

James left United on a permanent basis in 2012 to join Leicester and has been on the books at the King Power Stadium since then.

He has since made 116 appearances for the Foxes and has chipped in with five goals.

James has had his injury problems since joining Leicester but seems to have found a home at Coventry now.

Snapping him up on a permanent basis would be a shrewd bit of business this summer and would go down well with their fans.

2 hours ago, wattolcfc said:

He's got his pennies worth out of our club, fair play to his agent. Good luck for the future.

Big part in Pearsons championship winning promotion side in 13/14, big part in the great escape season in 14/15 (keeping drinkwater out the side).

You could make a strong argument that he helped put far more pennies in than he took out. Only cost a million quid too. So probably cost the club about 6/7 million in total. In fact you could make an argument that despite his injuries and questionable contract extension it was good value for his contribution. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Big part in Pearsons championship winning promotion side in 13/14, big part in the great escape season in 14/15 (keeping drinkwater out the side).

You could make a strong argument that he helped put far more pennies in than he took out. Only cost a million quid too. So probably cost the club about 6/7 million in total. In fact you could make an argument that despite his injuries and questionable contract extension it was good value for his contribution. 

I'm merely stating that his agent worked miracles. He'd been out with many injuries through his career and missed the whole title winning season yet was handed a new FOUR year deal despite clearly being injury prone. As I say, what an agent.

6 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

I'm merely stating that his agent worked miracles. He'd been out with many injuries through his career and missed the whole title winning season yet was handed a new FOUR year deal despite clearly being injury prone. As I say, what an agent.

Simply not true, Talk about re writing history, he had only missed a month of his career before he did his cruciate v southampton. 

I don't think his agent did that well he had just played 19 games, grinding saturdays and Tuesdays in the championship with Barnsley and was a young, saleable asset.

The club was in danger of him going for less than he was worth as he had one year left and Derby were sniffing around -  https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/13/report-derby-offer-4-million-for-leicester-citys-matty-james/?amp 

Ironically it's a shame his agent didn't get a 5 year deal as we probably would be able to get a couple of million in a transfer fee this summer after he's played 40 games in the championship at high level this season for cov and Barnsley. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wattolcfc said:

....I would suspect his agent had some input but I would think the club was the driver for the contract he was given!!!

The club tends to look after its own and with an altruistic owner at the helm we should not be surprised.

I cant believe he is still 29.

Im delighted he is avoiding injury and equally happy he will free up some wages in the summer. I wish him all the best wherever he goes as he has at times contributed for us, its just a shame injuries have held back his prem career.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Analysethis said:

I cant believe he is still 29.

Yeah it's been a long year but he only has one Birthday a year. His Birthday is in July so it's still another couple of months until he is 30.

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Simply not true, Talk about re writing history, he had only missed a month of his career before he did his cruciate v southampton. 

Well... other than when he did the cruciate in the other knee as Man U. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I would make a counter arguement that spending the better part of 10m on a guy who spent 13/14 rotating with King as Drinkwaters partner and 14/15 missing the vast majority of our only two decent periods of form was pretty poor value and could have been achieved with a cheaper player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gubbins said:

I would make a counter arguement that spending the better part of 10m on a guy who spent 13/14 rotating with King as Drinkwaters partner and 14/15 missing the vast majority of our only two decent periods of form was pretty poor value and could have been achieved with a cheaper player.

Signed in 2012 , in nearly 10 years made 101 appearances for us and 4 goals. How many of those are just sub appearances I don’t know but would hazard a guess quite a few . I wouldn’t class that as value for money either . 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 1

Some fans have very short memories or maybe forgotten how we got where we are today....

Good luck to Matt who was a key part of building a winning mentality with him and Drinky very important parts in our early success. He has a fantastic attitude and actually his resolve is incredible as the injuries would have beaten lesser players ....he owes us absolutely nothing and will be missed inside the camp but we have moved forwards during his difficult period but he deserves respect IMO.

We should remind ourselves we were League One not that long ago and the likes of James were important parts of success story .....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

At man u or v man u? Do you have a link for this? 

At Man U, no I don't tend to keep old links hanging around. But it was well talked about at the time. 

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

At Man U, no I don't tend to keep old links hanging around. But it was well talked about at the time. 

When we signed him he'd played about 20 professional games and there was talk from united that he would have made it there but for his injuries. Pearson spoke about him when he won young player of the year saying how difficult it was to actually get him on the pitch.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot