Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Matty James

When he was given the four-year deal, he'd just come back from an impressive loan spell at Barnsley. Drinkwater was about to go and he'd played a few games under Shakespeare in the short time he had at the start of the 17/18 season.

Now, we could've been in a situation where he'd become a regular part of the squad or, injuries notwithstanding, we'd get a decent fee for him down the line. There was some logic to giving him a contract although four years may have been one too many.

Football clubs don't give out long term deals out of sympathy.

18 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Simply not true, Talk about re writing history, he had only missed a month of his career before he did his cruciate v southampton. 

I don't think his agent did that well he had just played 19 games, grinding saturdays and Tuesdays in the championship with Barnsley and was a young, saleable asset.

The club was in danger of him going for less than he was worth as he had one year left and Derby were sniffing around -  https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/13/report-derby-offer-4-million-for-leicester-citys-matty-james/?amp 

Ironically it's a shame his agent didn't get a 5 year deal as we probably would be able to get a couple of million in a transfer fee this summer after he's played 40 games in the championship at high level this season for cov and Barnsley. 

Re-writing history? As has been said by others - he had a history of long term injuries and as I said before, his agent played a blinder.

Also, him NOT signing a 5 year deal saved us well over £1million in wages (assuming he’s on around £20k p/w)

4 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

What a ridiculous post.

I did rate Marty James - during our promotion season and for most of our relegation battle season, he was immense, and a really important part of the team. Unfortunately injuries have now ruined his career, and he is now nowhere near fist team squad level, and in my opinion, never will be again.  I’m not sure when his contract ends, but it certainly shouldn’t be renewed - he has no future at our club. 
I personally think we should either release him or pay his contract up (if there is more than a year left) and let him sign for a club permanently where he will get a signing on fee, and regular game time, and he can settle and make a future for a few years.

They guy deserves our respect, thanks for all he has done, and given our best wishes.  Unfortunately he has no future here.

In about 6 weeks.

If he hadnt have injured his knee again, he would have contributed no doubt. A shame, but we remember his contribution & wish him the best.

• Like 1

Apparently got a goal and three assists in a 6-1 win at the weekend. It seems he's really finding his feet again.

Begrudgingly, I accept his future isn't here. We've moved on, but wherever he ends up I hope he gets another crack in the Premier League before he retires. He's too naturally talented to have not had a decent Prem career.

5 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Apparently got a goal and three assists in a 6-1 win at the weekend. It seems he's really finding his feet again.

Begrudgingly, I accept his future isn't here. We've moved on, but wherever he ends up I hope he gets another crack in the Premier League before he retires. He's too naturally talented to have not had a decent Prem career.

Better not sign for Cov then 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Big Dave said:

What a ridiculous post.

I did rate Marty James - during our promotion season and for most of our relegation battle season, he was immense, and a really important part of the team. Unfortunately injuries have now ruined his career, and he is now nowhere near fist team squad level, and in my opinion, never will be again.  I’m not sure when his contract ends, but it certainly shouldn’t be renewed - he has no future at our club. 
I personally think we should either release him or pay his contract up (if there is more than a year left) and let him sign for a club permanently where he will get a signing on fee, and regular game time, and he can settle and make a future for a few years.

They guy deserves our respect, thanks for all he has done, and given our best wishes.  Unfortunately he has no future here.

I totally agree with this post to the word, not sure how it contradicts what I said in any ways?

We've got a load of people in this thread slagging him off and making out as if he sucked the club dry because they have forgotten his contributions in the past, or more likely weren't fans before 2016. They're the ridiculous ones!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:
19 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Anyone who doesn't rate Matty James or begrudges him his contract here is either a Johnny come lately Prem era success fan, or lacking any sort of sense of perspective or empathy, views on MJ are a good insight of telling who is worth listening to or whose posts are worth skipping IMO.

We've got a load of people in this thread slagging him off and making out as if he sucked the club dry because they have forgotten his contributions in the past, or more likely weren't fans before 2016. They're the ridiculous ones!

We havent continued to pay, Koncheskey, Moore, Wasilewski or Nugent millions over the past half decade though, all who contributed similar (and in Nugents case significantly more) to the team over the past 7 years than Matt James.

Whilst I have sympathy for his injury troubles, I and no doubt others who have 'slagged him off', begrudge the fact that a relatively forgettable footballer in Citys history, who last made a worthwhile contribution half a decade ago, is still here and being paid handsomely by the club. I'd have felt the same if wed still have been paying Julian Watts or Scott Taylor large sums in 2002, seven years after wed signed them.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but I think the likes of Cov might be in for a bit of a surprise.. they seem to think they can just sign him permanently but there are some bigger teams than them in the championship next season .. he’ll go top end championship and he might get another pop at the prem eventually, however his team will probably go straight back down...

2 hours ago, MPH said:

I hate to say it but I think the likes of Cov might be in for a bit of a surprise.. they seem to think they can just sign him permanently but there are some bigger teams than them in the championship next season .. he’ll go top end championship and he might get another pop at the prem eventually, however his team will probably go straight back down...

If Barnsley manage to come up it wouldn’t surprise me if they took him on, would be a good experienced player for them to have around

Only reason Matty ended up at Cov is because Barnsley wanted to focus on giving more game time to some of their younger players (which has clearly paid off) so didn’t look to extend his loan but if they did come up they would definitely need a few older experienced players in the squad

22 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Anyone who doesn't rate Matty James or begrudges him his contract here is either a Johnny come lately Prem era success fan, or lacking any sort of sense of perspective or empathy, views on MJ are a good insight of telling who is worth listening to or whose posts are worth skipping IMO.

Why would we give him a contract here. He's nowhere near the first team. Let him go and play for another club.

People have different opinions. If you don't wanna read them then why be part of a forum :S

52 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

If Barnsley manage to come up it wouldn’t surprise me if they took him on, would be a good experienced player for them to have around

Only reason Matty ended up at Cov is because Barnsley wanted to focus on giving more game time to some of their younger players (which has clearly paid off) so didn’t look to extend his loan but if they did come up they would definitely need a few older experienced players in the squad

I don’t think it’s just about who will ‘ take him on’.  He’s been on a modest prem wage and with him on loan we were probably subsidizing some of his wage..  even if he was only like 25k a week, a newly promoted team to the champ might only manage  half of that.. a more established team will be able to get closer than that...  he’s still fairly young to be taking such a big drop in wages..

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

I don’t think it’s just about who will ‘ take him on’.  He’s been on a modest prem wage and with him on loan we were probably subsidizing some of his wage..  even if he was only like 25k a week, a newly promoted team to the champ might only manage  half of that.. a more established team will be able to get closer than that...  he’s still fairly young to be taking such a big drop in wages..

I imagine Barnsley would have a pretty good chance of getting close to the wages he would want if they get promoted to the Prem…

• Like 1

Guest Bert Fill
24 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

23 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Expand  

Why would we give him a contract here. He's nowhere near the first team. Let him go and play for another club.

Well, personally I neither begrudge him his contract here for the last five years nor think we should keep him on now!

26 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Well, personally I neither begrudge him his contract here for the last five years nor think we should keep him on now!

Yep pretty much this. Not that hard to understand is it lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

People have different opinions. If you don't wanna read them then why be part of a forum :S

Where did I say we should give him another contract.... I'm talking about the current one that people seem to be so bitter about

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

Ditto... My post must have been poorly written because I've never been saying we should give him another

On 04/05/2021 at 16:41, moore_94 said:

Contract ends in the summer, so will be a free agent

So the comment about if leucester let him leave us rubbish.  Basically clubs line cov or even Bristol city can make an offer (sign on fee, wages and bonusses) and  Jane's can decide.

Good luck to him.  Lively player.  Nice bloke

Just hope he gets a club in the summer, always thought he was a better player than Drinkwater and it’s obvious he’s a better bloke as he has always been a great professional who has been blighted with injuries sadly...