Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guddu Fox

Key scout Jose Fontes possibly leaving the recruitment team

4 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

1. You didnt need to be a top scout to know maddison was going to be a good player. He had a good reputation at Norwich. 

2. Puel had already worked with Ricardo at Nice so unlikely the scout was solely responsible. 

Similarly Cags was on the Bundesliga team of the season at Freiburg. The guy who found him at Altinordu though, he might be someone who's ear is worth turning. 

• Like 1

Scouts leaving doesn’t bother me as much as it used to, we have lost plenty of our top scouts in recent years yet we have still managed to keep a pretty good record in the transfer market

Just shows it is all about the system as a whole now rather than the individual scouts like it used to be

• Like 1

He may have been a key scout, but he was only one of several and losing him will be no different to losing someone like Chilwell from the first team. We'll promote from within or bring in someone with complementary skills so that there's no big loss to our output.

Our scouts have been pretty good at identifying players who can fit into the club, so I've no doubt we'll be just as capable of identifying a new scout to join the team in his place...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Scouts leaving doesn’t bother me as much as it used to, we have lost plenty of our top scouts in recent years yet we have still managed to keep a pretty good record in the transfer market

Just shows it is all about the system as a whole now rather than the individual scouts like it used to be

The classic being Everton hoping to become us by nicking Walsh and his team , paying us compo then paying him off after he wasted millions signing a pile of crap 

Scouting is a bit like any business structure these days. Essentially someone paid pennies at the bottom does all the leg work (analysts) and the scout then gets on a plane/train, watches them and says to Congerton 'Look who i've just found'

Rince. Repeat.

I'd be more worried about a tech analyst leaving to be honest.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Guddu Fox said:

The same Puel that brought in Diabate and Ghazzel great joke mate! Defo proved he had an eye for a player!

2 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

... And Tielemans 

And Evans.

These players are well known players, I doubt we needed to scout these first.

On the other hand the likes of Diabate probably were scouted heavily. 

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

The classic being Everton hoping to become us by nicking Walsh and his team , paying us compo then paying him off after he wasted millions signing a pile of crap 

Walsh’s replacement Macia who then left for Bordeaux got sacked as well

I don’t think any of the scouts who left us recently are still at the same club they left us for

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Guddu Fox said:

The same Puel that brought in Diabate and Ghazzel great joke mate! Defo proved he had an eye for a player!

Evans, Maddison, Tilemans,  Ricardo, Soyuncu all arrived here during his time you can't pin all the bad signings on him and all the good ones on Jose fonte lol

Oh and by the way we are about to sell Ghazzel for several million and Diabate cost next to nothing so certainly not as big as a disaster as some of our recent business cough slimani, cough Silva. 

• Like 4

Yeah very true we have continued recruiting well regardless of ppl leaving, only time will tell but he is highly regarded. I do think the recruitment team should stay independent though but I think Brendan’s put his man in charge...to avoid the situation where the Manager is compelled to play his signings. Let’s all hope for a miracle on Sunday so we can get the signings that are dependent on us achieving Champions League!

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is a shame, highly regarded. I'd known a while back he knew Mourinho so was half expecting him to go to Spurs. He was the one behind the Trincao interest.

Yeah also heard this - the club have known about Trincao way before he even made his Braga debut, because of Fontes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he is gone, chief scout at Roma

https://www.just-football.com/2021/06/leicester-city-senior-scout-as-roma/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Just-football+(Just-Football)

Leicester City senior scout José Fontes will leave the Foxes to join AS Roma.

Just Football understands that Fontes will leave the FA Cup winners in July to join the Italian giants after being appointed to the role of Chief Scout at Roma, where he will work under new manager Jose Mourinho.

Fontes joined Leicester in 2016 and has developed a growing reputation within the game. He played an important role in identifying numerous key signings made by Leicester over the past five years including the signings of James Maddison, Caglar Soyuncu and Ricardo Pereira. He also had a major input into player recruitment and strategy at the club.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Looks like he is gone, chief scout at Roma

https://www.just-football.com/2021/06/leicester-city-senior-scout-as-roma/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Just-football+(Just-Football)

Leicester City senior scout José Fontes will leave the Foxes to join AS Roma.

Just Football understands that Fontes will leave the FA Cup winners in July to join the Italian giants after being appointed to the role of Chief Scout at Roma, where he will work under new manager Jose Mourinho.

Fontes joined Leicester in 2016 and has developed a growing reputation within the game. He played an important role in identifying numerous key signings made by Leicester over the past five years including the signings of James Maddison, Caglar Soyuncu and Ricardo Pereira. He also had a major input into player recruitment and strategy at the club.

Joined in 2016 but no mention of some of the appalling signings made. The media only recognise the successes when falling over themselves to say how good our recruitment is.