Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guddu Fox

Key scout Jose Fontes possibly leaving the recruitment team

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Looks like he is gone, chief scout at Roma

https://www.just-football.com/2021/06/leicester-city-senior-scout-as-roma/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Just-football+(Just-Football)

Leicester City senior scout José Fontes will leave the Foxes to join AS Roma.

Just Football understands that Fontes will leave the FA Cup winners in July to join the Italian giants after being appointed to the role of Chief Scout at Roma, where he will work under new manager Jose Mourinho.

Fontes joined Leicester in 2016 and has developed a growing reputation within the game. He played an important role in identifying numerous key signings made by Leicester over the past five years including the signings of James Maddison, Caglar Soyuncu and Ricardo Pereira. He also had a major input into player recruitment and strategy at the club.

Fontes is a really good scout on Football Manager 🙈

On 21/05/2021 at 09:28, Fox92 said:

And Evans.

These players are well known players, I doubt we needed to scout these first.

On the other hand the likes of Diabate probably were scouted heavily. 

...funnily enough, that wasn't the case!!!

Diabate was brought to Puel's notice by his son who played with him, Puel acted on the recommendation and brought  him here.

Nb.

Previously responded to prior to this post.

Edited by sacreblueits442

1 minute ago, demon_dog said:

Are any of our scouts former players?

I know someone who is an ex professional, he became a scout for Neil Warnock.

He wasn't tied to a particular club, he simply went and scouted for Warnock whenever asked.

This tends to be how it works for most of them I think. 

They’re more freelance and will just go and review and report back. I’ve a friend who did quite a bit for Coventry and this is basically how it was for him. 

The club will have a head of recruitment, which these days of more about analytics than sending folk off to far off, obscure countries trying to pick up the next George Weah, Jari Litmanen etc

With the advancement of the internet, clubs don’t need as many people of the ground, watching lots of youth football. A lot of it will be analysis data to see why is available. 

24 minutes ago, Sly said:

This tends to be how it works for most of them I think. 

They’re more freelance and will just go and review and report back. I’ve a friend who did quite a bit for Coventry and this is basically how it was for him. 

The club will have a head of recruitment, which these days of more about analytics than sending folk off to far off, obscure countries trying to pick up the next George Weah, Jari Litmanen etc

With the advancement of the internet, clubs don’t need as many people of the ground, watching lots of youth football. A lot of it will be analysis data to see why is available. 

Can imagine it now 

“yes Neil I’m in Belgium and his playing well so far” 

image.gif.0cc9a70dd0f52114af6dc868e3bb395d.gif

• Haha 2

Also, Tielemans, Maddison, Fofana, Justin, Soyuncu, Benkovic we’re all getting rave reviews in the respective leagues with certain players. 

@Ric Flairhas done the same with certain players.

The likes of Daka, Sulmana, Johannesson, Camvigha, David, Kubo, Wijindal, Tzolis, Vlahovic, Tagir, Faghir, Demir, Diomande, Doku, Goihiri, Krejci, Okafor, Sima, Thiaw, Vieria, Kuol, Isak etc 

Some of those will be top top players within the next 5 years. The advantage we have is that we can take a risk and we’ve got it right more often than we’ve got it wrong. They grow to be better players and move on. 

A Manchester City, Liverpool, Juventus, Real Madrid can’t do that, as they need established players. Barca are feeling the pain, as they’re trying to blood you get players. 

We sit in a similar mode of club as Dortmund, in that we pick up players and they move on for money once they’re ready. 

Chelsea changed the mode a degree last year and looked to build for the future and it’s been a great success for them. 

We’ve tried to sign established players and it didn’t really work for us. We got burnt, so I don’t see us going to try and sign an established right winger. It’ll be a relative free / experienced player or a potential diamond in the rough. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’d looked at someone like Moise Kean, Wamangituka (pre injury) or Kulusevski, as alternatives for Trincao.

Rodgers is a coach that likes to develop talent. 

56 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

Are any of our scouts former players?

I know someone who is an ex professional, he became a scout for Neil Warnock.

He wasn't tied to a particular club, he simply went and scouted for Warnock whenever asked.

Sean St Ledger is one of the club's senior scouts still (was listed by BR in the list of staff he thanked for winning the FA Cup).

David Mills who had a decent career and was chief scout under Walsh is also still here

On 21/05/2021 at 08:42, Xen said:

Our scouts have been pretty good at identifying players who can fit into the club, so I've no doubt we'll be just as capable of identifying a new scout to join the team in his place...

As long as our Scout Scouts don't go anywhere...

On 06/06/2021 at 10:53, Jaspa said:

Luis Campos is out of work, done gargantuan things in France recently :sweating:

Astounds me. He's been largely responsible for PSG not winning the league twice in five years, with two different clubs, imagine if an Everton appointed him.

On 06/06/2021 at 10:53, Jaspa said:

Luis Campos is out of work, done gargantuan things in France recently :sweating:

Just been hired by Real Madrid

28 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Astounds me. He's been largely responsible for PSG not winning the league twice in five years, with two different clubs, imagine if an Everton appointed him.

They have Brands to be fair... also decent!

On 06/06/2021 at 10:17, Sly said:

Also, Tielemans, Maddison, Fofana, Justin, Soyuncu, Benkovic we’re all getting rave reviews in the respective leagues with certain players. 

The likes of Daka, Sulmana, Johannesson, Camvigha, David, Kubo, Wijindal, Tzolis, Vlahovic, Tagir, Faghir, Demir, Diomande, Doku, Goihiri, Krejci, Okafor, Sima, Thiaw, Vieria, Kuol, Isak etc 

Some of those will be top top players within the next 5 years. The advantage we have is that we can take a risk and we’ve got it right more often than we’ve got it wrong. They grow to be better players and move on. 

A Manchester City, Liverpool, Juventus, Real Madrid can’t do that, as they need established players. Barca are feeling the pain, as they’re trying to blood you get players. 

We sit in a similar mode of club as Dortmund, in that we pick up players and they move on for money once they’re ready. 

Chelsea changed the mode a degree last year and looked to build for the future and it’s been a great success for them. 

We’ve tried to sign established players and it didn’t really work for us. We got burnt, so I don’t see us going to try and sign an established right winger. It’ll be a relative free / experienced player or a potential diamond in the rough. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’d looked at someone like Moise Kean, Wamangituka (pre injury) or Kulusevski, as alternatives for Trincao.

Sounds like the Kazakhstan national football team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2021 at 19:17, Sly said:

If by Kuol you mean Alou Kuol who’s just got a move to Stuttgart, I’d be shocked if he gets close to playing regularly in a top European league.

The kid is great, and has been a breath of fresh air for Central Coast, but there have been much, much better players than him move from Australia to Europe and not make waves.

He has youth on his side, he’ll develop a lot in Germany, and I’m absolutely rooting for him. Just don’t think he’s going to be a “top player”.

That said, he has some younger brothers who are apparently going to be better!

Not too worried about him leaving, we have had plenty of supposed key members of the scouting team leave over the years and we still continue to find quality and bargains

Still believe it is the system that makes it all successful rather than a few individuals

• Like 3