Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

8/9 year old fans .... and other generational changes

Anyone else finding that the 8-9 age group is just a bit confused when it come to Leicester? They just about remember the title.... just..... so they tell us stuff, mostly they've just watched Youtube!

They get to hear about the 90s off their parents so they end up knowing more about Izzett than they do about Maddison! 

Any other observations please post as I find it interesting the way we move forward through the generations. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Imagine finishing 9th in the Premier League being your low point of following Leicester...

I'm not usually one for cruel punishments but maybe you should force him to watch videos of the Pleat and Levein/Kelly/Megson/Allen/Holloway years to give him some sense of perspective. :P

Oh I have but it's quickly forgotten  about.

I was around 8 when I went to my first match in the 1950's accompanied by my uncle, it was a different proposition then as there were no ticket issues, you turned up at the turnstiles, paid your money and got in...it was like that for me for many years at Filbert Street with or without my uncle. The kids won't have a choice of just turning up with a few coins to go and watch a live game of League football ever again, even with a massive expansion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, davieG said:

Unless you’ve witnessed the McLintock management you won’t know how bad it can get.

I did. I still think the Pleat-era was the absolute rock bottom though for me even over McLintock or the 2004-08 period.

It wasn't just the club. It was the half-empty stadium where 10,000 was considered a good crowd at Filbert Street, the atmosphere, English football's wilderness. Just felt like everyone was apathetic to football back then.

• Like 2

It is actually one of the things that concerns me about kids growing up watching us these days. I never had a problem getting a season ticket and going to away games and absolutely loved it as a teenager. 

We're going to have a whole generation who can't go to games regularly or even get a look in at a decent away game because of the lack of season tickets and the points system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

We are going to lose this generation as active supporters if they don't get the stadium capacity increased very soon. 

Huge shame. 

This just isn’t true. The amount of kids wearing Leicester shirts now is insane compared to the 90’s when I grew up. It’s great to see. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rain King said:

7 hours ago, Rain King said:

He's a bit of a statto and can tell me pretty much everything from 15/16 onwards although as you say I think it's more from watching the Season Review and YouTube videos. 

I've lived in Australia all my life, I was a school kid during the 90s and there isn't much I don't know about city in that decade. My knowledge was purely down to season review tapes I'd watched religiously. Plus fossils and foxes. The only full games I ever saw were the Wembley games (about a month later)

• Like 1

I was roughly that age watching the O'Neill-era teams win League Cups and the achieve the heady heights of mid-table Premier League. I thought it would never get any better than that once he left and we faded into obscurity. 

Young City supporters nowadays don't know how good they have it. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Not so sure about this, Premier League football is so accessible these days via TV, streaming services etc. that we’ll probably have more active fans, but also mixed with a lot more plastics too. 

17 hours ago, lildave3 said:

This just isn’t true. The amount of kids wearing Leicester shirts now is insane compared to the 90’s when I grew up. It’s great to see. 

When I say active I mean physical participation in person at the stadium. I don't doubt the modern LCFC has more fans locally and globally than at any previous time in the history of the club. It's great the club is now a household name but such a shame that so many young (and not so young) fans can't experience the real thing which, as we know, is so different to watching on a screen. The bonding we have between parents and kids, mates and complete strangers isn't replicated easily elsewhere. Expansion is needed now. 

• Like 3

When I started going in the early 80's success was getting promoted and seeing us get a win (or even a goal) at the bigger stadiums lol.

My lad was just 4 when I took him to his first game in 2006. I took him to a good few games home and away during our rise from League One but I guess like many millennials he didn't seem to fully engage until we returned to the Premier League. After the success of 2016, our Champions league run and top 5 finishes he couldn't quite get why I was like a hyperactive kid at Christmas when we won the FA Cup.

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

My first game when I wasn’t even 8 was against MK Dons in league 1. 

I think most of you should bow down to me in respect of how great it’s been since then. Clearly I’m the lucky messiah who has created all this success. :ph34r:

The debut of Sir Lloyd Dyer was obviously what hooked you.

• Thanks 1