Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

8/9 year old fans .... and other generational changes

I teach 8-9 year olds. They’re quite well informed about football and talk about current LCFC players especially Vardy. They know we won the title but don’t have personal memories of it. Some in my class would love to attend games and have parents and family members who do but they can’t due to the lack of capacity. 

17 hours ago, Stadt said:

I was 8 in 2005 and started getting into football then. I don’t know what hooked me tbh

This is the one. 

Grew up praying Matty Fryatt would save us from relegation for yet another season. Probably the best time to become a Leicester fan in terms of knowing exactly how shit it can get. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

My first game when I wasn’t even 8 was against MK Dons in league 1. 

I think most of you should bow down to me in respect of how great it’s been since then. Clearly I’m the lucky messiah who has created all this success. :ph34r:

I started going the year before when we got relegated to League One. Bloody glory hunter. :ph34r:lol

• Like 1

On 21/06/2021 at 14:31, RoboFox said:

Young City supporters nowadays don't know how good they have it. 

I think there are plenty of fans, even in their 20s/30s, who don't realise how good we have it right now.

The ones who constantly moan, game by game, the ones who focus on the "top four bottlers" thing rather than:
"Foookinellfire, we've only gone and won the Premier League and FA Cup in the past few years!"

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think there are plenty of fans, even in their 20s/30s, who don't realise how good we have it right now.

The ones who constantly moan, game by game, the ones who focus on the "top four bottlers" thing rather than:
"Foookinellfire, we've only gone and won the Premier League and FA Cup in the past few years!"

Maybe they focus on both and can be happy with our relative success whilst also being disappointed about bottling the top four two seasons in a row? Seeing as it is possible to think and feel more than one thing at a time and all. Just because you don't understand nuance doesn't mean nobody else does.

And I've had to explain this to you before, but a 30 year old fan has lived through 4 relegations, administration, 2004-2008, and League One. So they've experienced the clubs lowest points just as you have - you haven't got a monopoly on pErSpEcTiVe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I don't think it's just them Geoff. Plenty our age will be doing similar. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Some of the biggest moaners at matches, in my area of the ground, over 40/45. They may've sat through the grim times of the 80's or whatever but they are still quick to complain despite our current success.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

Some of the biggest moaners at matches, in my area of the ground, over 40/45. They may've sat through the grim times of the 80's or whatever but they are still quick to complain despite our current success.

I have a great friend who used to work for Fulham FC when Al Fayed was the owner and Keegan was manager. He got me a ticket towards the end of their first promotion season, and there was a guy just in front of me who gave non-stop complaining commentary during a routine 3-0 win. Goodness knows how the regulars around him coped. He must have been at least 40.

I guess some people need to let off steam at the football, but when the 'I know my rights' types lurch into constant misery, I feel well within MY rights to point out that nobody is interested in hearing their litany of hateful negativity. It's the verbal equivalent of bad hygiene. 

Edited by HighPeakFox

18 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Still seething we threw the Johnstone's Paint Trophy away against Rotherham tbh. Domestic set my arse. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

I remember years ago on football focus I think it was, they did a feature on Wigan not long after they’d been promoted. They interviewed an old boy who had been going for decades and he was having a right moan about having people sat next to him because they were finally selling out, he wanted the good old days back of championship/league 1 when he could spread out in his seat as no one was sitting near him. Probably by choice with fans choosing to avoid the miserable old git. lol 

Great thread.  I started going in the late 80’s during the Pleat era and was somehow hooked! My dad and uncle kept taking me and I couldn’t understand why they were so grumpy! The came the Little era and everything changed, I hardly missed a home game until 2008 and went to loads of away games until my son was born and I gave up my season ticket as I worked 5 - 5 1/2 days a week and didn’t want to miss him growing up.  I went to a few games each season and his first game was the QPR game at the end of the great escape, then my youngest sons first game was the Newcastle game the season later when we won the league and they’ve both been hooked ever since, we’ve got our season tickets back now and they love every minute of it!

• Like 2

You'd always struggle to go to any seaside town without seeing a City shirt on your travels. Even more so these days though.

It's great, though as has been said cheaper ticket prices and a bigger stadium are needed if we're to truly take advantage of this golden age.

On 21/06/2021 at 19:56, Stadt said:

I was 8 in 2005 and started getting into football then. I don’t know what hooked me tbh

I think going to matches at a young age takes the edge off the quality of the football. You don't have the experience of bitter memories, nor the pining for past glories, you just think "We're going to the match" and there's still some excitement.

Definitely as you get older you get wearier and more cynical but actually being there as a youngster gets you into a routine and probably strengthens the commitment.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 21:08, Rain King said:

My son turned 10 a couple of months ago. He went to his first matches in the 14/15 season and was there for the trophy lift v Everton and he's had a season ticket since 2017.

He's a bit of a statto and can tell me pretty much everything from 15/16 onwards although as you say I think it's more from watching the Season Review and YouTube videos. 

I keep having to tell him that it's not always and won't always be like this. He thinks the height of failure and disappointment is the likes of Claude Puel's tenure.

Yes, if he'd been 10 years older then he'd know the real low point in his lifetime as an LCFC follower would've been being in League One under Pearson in 2008-09, albeit an era from which we've never looked back from now and hopefully never will! Claude Puel's two-three year tenure in the Prem. was nowhere near as bad as some football purists make out on here and it was of course was sheer luxury by comparison to some of the "Pleat Out", Levein, Rob Kelly, then worse Allen/Megson/Burrows/Holloway Championship "mediocrity" - if that!