Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

UK to bake in 33C amid extreme heat warning

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think we’re past that point - all we can do now is try and limit the damage. the ukraine situation has shown that even the future of the planet is affected by ‘events’.   Just hope that someone sorts out a commercial fusion option within the next fifteen years - hopefully the climate feedback loops which will be established by then will only sustain for a couple of decades before slowly drifting back towards where we currently are. 

have a great day! 

being less facetious, I do have a tiny hope that the planet will find a way to sort this out (or at least limit the worst of the affects geographically).  but it’s only a small chance. 

Nah, Rishi has pledged 200 million to help starving africans and 90 million to buy new chainsaw blades for the brazilians, throw money at it and the problem will go away.

32 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Today's Telegraph has a graph showing that the per capita carbon emissions in the UK are back to what they were in 1857.  So perhaps the UK isn't doing so badly as we might think?

We are making good progress towards reducing emissions but there is still plenty of work to do, we also need to account for our impact by buying things manufactured in countries with a high emissions.

I think we’re past that point - all we can do now is try and limit the damage. the ukraine situation has shown that even the future of the planet is affected by ‘events’.   Just hope that someone sorts out a commercial fusion option within the next fifteen years - hopefully the climate feedback loops which will be established by then will only sustain for a couple of decades before slowly drifting back towards where we currently are. 

have a great day! 

being less facetious, I do have a tiny hope that the planet will find a way to sort this out (or at least limit the worst of the affects geographically).  but it’s only a small chance. 

This seems a little strawman tbh.That's what people are trying to do. This is what the cop meetings are about. Limiting the effects if climate change not stopping it happening at all which I haven't heard anyone say.

44 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Today's Telegraph has a graph showing that the per capita carbon emissions in the UK are back to what they were in 1857.  So perhaps the UK isn't doing so badly as we might think?

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We are making good progress towards reducing emissions but there is still plenty of work to do, we also need to account for our impact by buying things manufactured in countries with a high emissions.

I would hope that people aren't saying the UK are doing badly on the subject of limiting emissions, because they are doing not as well as others but better than most.

However, as well as the above point about manufacturing outsourcing, this is simply a global problem that we meet or fail as one species, not a disparate set of nations. The effects of failure will certainly end up hitting everyone.

Thinking of it in terms of individual countries and not the overall world target is mistaken.

9 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

This seems a little strawman tbh.That's what people are trying to do. This is what the cop meetings are about. Limiting the effects if climate change not stopping it happening at all which I haven't heard anyone say.

What I mean is that we’re past the point where climate feedback mechanisms will inevitably kick in beyond what politicians are currently discussing.  So I mean limiting the damage way beyond what our leaders are currently indicating where we’re headed. 

the warming cycle is natural - our effect is to accelerate it and push it beyond what would usually be the case. Hence the planet’s historic coping mechanisms will not be effective this time. 

have a great day! 

The planet will certainly reestablish an equilibrium. It has done so in the past when things got extreme and will do so here. The only question will be how much damage is done to human civilisation before that happens.

In terms of the human response...I would think that it is just actually being kind humans and not animals slavishly devoted to the idea of evolution that would drive us to attempt to limit the damage as much as we can. We should be - are - better than that.

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Presumably that’s only scope 1 emissions. Can easily outsource a problem, dump all the emissions on other countries, and continue to live a souped up life and preach to others about emissions cuts as a benefit. Look around at life in the uk in 2022, scope 2 and 3 emissions will clearly take us to a level far far above 1857, no graph needs to prove that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I don’t get why we don’t do the low hanging fruit thing.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/08/france-require-parking-lots-be-covered-in-solar-panels/

Its so obvious as to be beyond suspicious, and as many have pointed out, the wealth for the few supercedes the greater good

Although I know down here, Wokingham council have agreed with farmers to long term lease fields to use as solar farms (!) due to them not currently being viable - so it is occassionally going on, its simple stuff, but its obvious

We just need it be set as legislation and not each for their own type jobby

36 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

How much of a difference does deforestation make?  I didn't know that Pakistan was 33% forest in 1947, only 5% now, and the forestland is a good store of water in the wet season.  Would the floods now still be as frequent if the trees were replanted?

As a carbon sink, deforestation has most certainly exacerbated the extremes or even pace of climate change, but removal of trees also affect drainage and increases the risk of flooding. 

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

I don’t get why we don’t do the low hanging fruit thing.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/08/france-require-parking-lots-be-covered-in-solar-panels/

This something that has always baffled me, every new build house, block of flats, office block should have solar panels as standard integrated into the design to maximise their efficiency.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

This something that has always baffled me, every new build house, block of flats, office block should have solar panels as standard integrated into the design to maximise their efficiency.

Solar panels are usually not selected as they are the least efficient (per £ spent) way of meeting the sustainability regulations. They have to carry out a SAP calculation to assess the energy performance of a building and renewable energy production is not always that helpful.

Typically, better insulation and said tightness will be selected by the developer. The issue being these measures aren't 'visible' unlike solar panels which are.

27 minutes ago, kenny said:

Solar panels are usually not selected as they are the least efficient (per £ spent) way of meeting the sustainability regulations. They have to carry out a SAP calculation to assess the energy performance of a building and renewable energy production is not always that helpful.

Typically, better insulation and said tightness will be selected by the developer. The issue being these measures aren't 'visible' unlike solar panels which are.

Thanks I didn't know that, however better insulation should be standard and can be fitted with solar panels it doesn't need to be either or. Even if they don't fit solar panels new buildings should consider the practicalities of it and make it quick and easy to fit and maximise south facing roof space.

8 hours ago, Captain... said:

Thanks I didn't know that, however better insulation should be standard and can be fitted with solar panels it doesn't need to be either or. Even if they don't fit solar panels new buildings should consider the practicalities of it and make it quick and easy to fit and maximise south facing roof space.

What would constitute better? Keep adding insulation past the point of effectiveness in the knowledge those costs are passed to the consumer?

Or simply accept that we already have some of the highest building standards in the world already?

Would you rather ineffective but visual solar panels or effective (and increasely popular financially) ground source thermal piles? The piles are better for the environment, but solar have a much more pleasing visual impact on the environment.

It's 21 degrees C here today, when the average for November is between 11.6°C and 3.2°C. Yesterday was the same, and tomorrow is forecast to be similar. And here isn't the only place experiencing such anomalous conditions over a period of time.

The world is changing, and it's because of humanity. We must take steps to prevent it, or safeguard as many people as possible against the consequences, or both. That simply cannot be argued against now.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Line-X said:

As a carbon sink, deforestation has most certainly exacerbated the extremes or even pace of climate change, but removal of trees also affect drainage and increases the risk of flooding. 

double whammy is that every square km that is underwater can no longer absorb any co2 from the atmosphere…

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's 21 degrees C here today, when the average for November is between 11.6°C and 3.2°C. Yesterday was the same, and tomorrow is forecast to be similar. And here isn't the only place experiencing such anomalous conditions over a period of time.

The world is changing, and it's because of humanity. We must take steps to prevent it, or safeguard as many people as possible against the consequences, or both. That simply cannot be argued against now.

We do need to be careful about highlighting the fact that it happens to be unusually warm in an area because it provides an easy retort for the sceptics. Weather patterns dictate that if it’s unseasonably warm in one area then it’s almost certainly unseasonably cold elsewhere. This is where climate diverges from weather.  Climate change appears to be increasing the buckles we see in the jet stream which create blocking patterns that force warmer air north (and colder air south) - reverse for our Aussie contributors. Of course as the climate slowly warms, the warmth available becomes warmer and the cold less so. The nett result is an overall increase in global temps. The environmental damage done by these blocks pumping the warmth into the polar regions is way more of a problem than the cold that heads into the more temperate zones which has a much larger area to dissipate into. 

This chart for today shows temps 5000 ft above sea level.   The blues show colder and the reds warmer (compared to 30 year averages).  What’s clear is that the hemisphere isn’t a swathe of red with the blues counterbalancing. look at the sharp contrast over the states. Hence my comment about noting how warm it is today in one place as offering proof that things are getting ever warmer. 

image.thumb.png.f2cb82b839f580988d2103d5b321d45e.png

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kenny said:

What would constitute better? Keep adding insulation past the point of effectiveness in the knowledge those costs are passed to the consumer?

Or simply accept that we already have some of the highest building standards in the world already?

Would you rather ineffective but visual solar panels or effective (and increasely popular financially) ground source thermal piles? The piles are better for the environment, but solar have a much more pleasing visual impact on the environment.

Again it's not an either or situation. Insulation, thermal piles (which I hadn't heard of), solar panels (which also feed back into the grid*), air heat pumps. These could all be standard. 

*This is why of all domestic energy saving solutions I am a big fan of solar panels. The more there are the more green energy for everyone. It is not about visuals or even financial it is the net benefit for everyone.

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Again it's not an either or situation. Insulation, thermal piles (which I hadn't heard of), solar panels (which also feed back into the grid*), air heat pumps. These could all be standard. 

*This is why of all domestic energy saving solutions I am a big fan of solar panels. The more there are the more green energy for everyone. It is not about visuals or even financial it is the net benefit for everyone.

But there are better ways of achieving energy efficiency than solar which is why it isn't done everywhere.

What you appear to be suggesting is that all new buildings should have all possible eco upgrades. This would render new buildings unviable financially and nothing would get built.

To add, my solar panels have generated 0.3kw today and will take 20 years to pay for themselves.