Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

UK to bake in 33C amid extreme heat warning

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I agree. Mr @Line-Xis a fascinating, super intelligent and often funny poster. 

Me and him.often clashed on the covid thread and despite his bulging brains and reasoned, fact based arguments, he read the whole thing totally and utterly wrong. He doom mongered that it was the black death mk II (wrong!) Others thought from the get go it was a glorified sniffle (right!) 

kinda refreshing that brains aren't everything 😛😛😛

Won’t lie. Wish you had a few brain cells. Probably asking too much though. 🤣🤔🤞

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm deeply hoping that above post was mostly tongue-in-cheek tbh.

Do you believe paninistickers is actually correct in that statement: "he read the whole thing totally and utterly wrong. He doom mongered that it was the black death mk II (wrong!) Others thought from the get go it was a glorified sniffle (right!)" 

Just re-read your post a few times as I was surprised by your response as I thought you were referring to my post in regard to what panininstickers said. Now I see you were referring to his original remarks.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

My last throw of the dice to try and cool the house - opened the loft hatch. Our loft is well insulated so I’ve figured the heat gets trapped upstairs with nowhere to go. Hopefully having the hatch open gives it an escape route.

1 minute ago, Trumpet said:

My last throw of the dice to try and cool the house - opened the loft hatch. Our loft is well insulated so I’ve figured the heat gets trapped upstairs with nowhere to go. Hopefully having the hatch open gives it an escape route.

I listened to a chap on the radio who said open your hatch in the evening, not during the day 

I couldn’t get my head around that but have now reasoned that if the roof space doesn’t get hot during the day (it’s sealed from the outside temp and maybe the tiles hold all the heat rather than transferring it through into the loft space ), then opening it in the evening will allow that cool air to drop down through the house as cool air sinks. the warmth in your top floor can then rise into the loft space. 

how warm was your loft space when you opened your hatch?

whilst it’s bloody hot out there, the longer nights allow temps to cool somewhat  in comparison to a month ago 

in addition, this heatwave sees temps at 5000 feet at only 15/16 c when last time they were 20/24c on the Mon and Tues.  that would be a straight transfer of 5-8c onto current maxes of 33/36! There are other subtle factors now such as less wind (= hotter). Less wind on that Tues in July would have seen temps exceed 42c.

just spent a week in N Yorks and the difference in the countryside is astonishing. So much green. Still v hard ground but as you drive south and towards the e mids the change in appearance of the landscape is nuts.  

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I listened to a chap on the radio who said open your hatch in the evening, not during the day 

I couldn’t get my head around that but have now reasoned that if the roof space doesn’t get hot during the day (it’s sealed from the outside temp and maybe the tiles hold all the heat rather than transferring it through into the loft space ), then opening it in the evening will allow that cool air to drop down through the house as cool air sinks. the warmth in your top floor can then rise into the loft space. 

how warm was your loft space when you opened your hatch?

whilst it’s bloody hot out there, the longer nights allow temps to cool somewhat  in comparison to a month ago 

in addition, this heatwave sees temps at 5000 feet at only 15/16 c when last time they were 20/24c on the Mon and Tues.  that would be a straight transfer of 5-8c onto current maxes of 33/36! There are other subtle factors now such as less wind (= hotter). Less wind on that Tues in July would have seen temps exceed 42c.

just spent a week in N Yorks and the difference in the countryside is astonishing. So much green. Still v hard ground but as you drive south and towards the e mids the change in appearance of the landscape is nuts.  

The temperature difference in the loft was minimal, using the precise scientific measurement of hand :D the thermostat in the hallway upstairs was registering 29c, so somewhere around that mark.

Will see how it goes, I’m out for most of the afternoon so shouldn’t make any odds really. Just hope it makes a difference this evening!

• 2 months later...
On 11/08/2022 at 21:17, Paninistickers said:

I wouldn't even bank on that. On the 16 years or so I have had kids, i used to wrap up on Halloween night. I've noticed the last 4 or 5 years Halloween has had temperatures around 16 - 19 degrees and we walk around in virtual summer wears.

Autumn doesn't seem to exist. We seem.to go from Indian summer straight to winter.now

On 11/08/2022 at 21:02, Trumpet said:

I can’t wait to walk the dogs mid October in 15c pissing down rain. I love hot weather, but not if I have to live in it without a pool, cold beer and air con to retreat to.

Bump....I stand corrected. 22 degrees this Halloween. Bizarre, even by recent warm standards

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Bump....I stand corrected. 22 degrees this Halloween. Bizarre, even by recent warm standards

The seasons are all over the place. It’ll only get stranger I think. 

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

11 hours ago, Sly said:

The seasons are all over the place. It’ll only get stranger I think. 

I doubt it will make those temps on Monday 

could see it on Saturday somewhere I reckon 

it’s all to do with a slowing jet stream (which is probably climate change related) and therefore we get blocks appearing which drag unseasonably warm air up from the south over a period of time. Usually the atmosphere is too mobile for that to occur in autumn. now of course if we are dragging v warm air north then somewhere will be seeing unusually cold air being driven south (currently the w usa and central Russia). The point here being that if the blocks set up a little differently then it could nw europe unseasonably cold. the slower jet stream generally allows for unseasonable conditions (be it hot or cold). and then we could  get into feedback loops which can have further consequences that re Inforce the overall warming global pattern. 

Edited by st albans fox

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/world-close-to-irreversible-climate-breakdown-warn-major-studies?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Articles like this make me feel very, very afraid for the immediate future. 

I cannot see the world's government's having any real impact against the energy companies who are the big cause of half of this. 

I knew that humanity was in a precarious position. I just didn't expect to see it be so pronounced during my lifetime. 

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Governments are less powerful than the huge corporations, that is the centre of the issue. 

That's a real issue. Such egregious capitalism is doing damage but the whole system works only for that. Going to be difficult to break. 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

That's a real issue. Such egregious capitalism is doing damage but the whole system works only for that. Going to be difficult to break. 

China's the biggest single driver of carbon emission increases at present, and they aren't renowned as an egregiously capitalist society.  In their case it's the government driving the increases, so all we need do is persuade the Chinese government to take action and the job's half done.

Shell barely trade in China, or India either. 

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Nope, he is far from alone in this type of thinking.

There’s going to be many a house hold hoping for a mild winter this year.So yes the unseasonal weather is an advantage.It’s nice to have the luxury to fret about the environment.What would you prefer? Winter to come early.Forcing everyone to stick the heating on.Which is probably the individual’s biggest carbon footprint.Honestly you couldn’t make it up.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

China's the biggest single driver of carbon emission increases at present, and they aren't renowned as an egregiously capitalist society.  In their case it's the government driving the increases, so all we need do is persuade the Chinese government to take action and the job's half done.

Shell barely trade in China, or India either. 

I think it's a little inaccurate to think that the system in China isn't set up so the higher-ups don't get rich. They clearly do.

In any case, a couple of things have been covered here before: the Chinese are taking action, it's just (like the rest of the world) way too slow, and while it's good to point fingers rather than actually take steps to solve this problem, the effects of climate change aren't going to be solely meted out on the nations that were responsible for them. So rather than getting in excuses for incredibly widespread famine, drought and suffering early, perhaps it might be time to use the political power we have to make sure that doesn't happen, because the UK will feel the effects like anywhere else?

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

There’s going to be many a house hold hoping for a mild winter this year.So yes the unseasonal weather is an advantage.It’s nice to have the luxury to fret about the environment.What would you prefer? Winter to come early.Forcing everyone to stick the heating on.Which is probably the individual’s biggest carbon footprint.Honestly you couldn’t make it up.

This is operating on the assumption that heating a house or other living space has to be done using gas or electricity that is generated through the use of burning fossil fuels. It doesn't.

And regarding the bolded, I wasn't aware that giving a toss about the future of human civilisation is a "luxury" and not, say, a moral obligation. Perhaps it is better to be short-sighted (both spatially and temporally) and self-centred, just like any other animal (though even they choose to show altruism sometimes). It's certainly easier.

• Like 1

I too am celebrating not putting on the heating as millions of species are under threat and seasonal changes force populations to leave their homes elsewhere in the world to become “economic migrants”.

I was wearing shorts in the house and going out in a t-shirt yesterday - **** you, Emperor penguins, you dicks. That’ll learn you not to be an indigenous species to the United Kingdom of blue passports.

Right wing high fives all round.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

You really must be on the wind up

Probs on the wind up yeh but this is the kind of thing to turn doubters into BELIEVERS. There are advantages to climate change of course, warm = nice. But if we do a full cost/benefit analysis we’ll see the costs far outweigh the benefits. No joke I was on an IPCC panel where a participant actually asked to do this analysis lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/world-close-to-irreversible-climate-breakdown-warn-major-studies?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Articles like this make me feel very, very afraid for the immediate future. 

I cannot see the world's government's having any real impact against the energy companies who are the big cause of half of this. 

I knew that humanity was in a precarious position. I just didn't expect to see it be so pronounced during my lifetime. 

You can always trust the guardian for a nice big dose of left wing agenda driven fear propaganda :thumbup:

• Sad 1