Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

UK to bake in 33C amid extreme heat warning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57898718

Parts of the UK could reach a sweltering 33C (91.4F) later, hotter than some of Europe's top holiday destinations including Tenerife.

It comes after the Met Office issued a new-style extreme heat weather warning and told people to watch out for sunburn and heat exhaustion.

The amber warning covers large parts of Wales, all of south-west England and parts of southern and central England.

It will be in place until Thursday, when temperatures are expected to peak.

Public Health England has also issued a heat-health alert.

It advises staying out of the sun between 11:00 BST and 15:00 BST, drinking plenty of fluids and avoiding excess alcohol and physical exertion during the hottest parts of the day.

The Met Office is warning that over the next few days many people could be at risk of sunburn or heat exhaustion, including dehydration, nausea and fatigue.

The more vulnerable are being warned of more adverse health effects.

It also warned that, as temperatures soar, some heat-sensitive systems and equipment may fail, leading to power cuts. There could also be delays to road, rail and air travel, meaning people experiencing long delays might suffer.

The Met Office said the high temperatures were expected in the day and at night, meaning restless nights for many.

It also warned that as more people visited coastal areas, lakes and rivers, there was an "increased risk of water safety incidents".

Six people drowned in English lakes and rivers over the weekend, with rescuers warning of the invisible but deadly dangers of open water.

The Met Office launched its new extreme heat warning at the start of June 2021 to highlight potential widespread disruption and adverse health effects. Amber is the second-highest level in the system.

It comes after a record-breaking number of heatwave deaths were recorded in England last summer.

Heatwaves are becoming more likely and more extreme because of human-induced climate change.

The world has already warmed by about 1.2C since the industrial era began, and temperatures will keep rising unless governments around the world take steep cuts to emissions.

What to do if someone has heat exhaustion

If they can be cooled down within half an hour, then heat exhaustion is not normally serious.

The NHS advice is to:

• Move them to a cool place.
  • Get them to lie down and raise their feet slightly
  • Get them to drink plenty of water - sports or rehydration drinks are also OK
  • Cool their skin - spray or sponge them with cool water and fan them. Cold packs around the armpits or neck are good too

However, if they do not recover within 30 minutes, then what follows is heat stroke.

It is a medical emergency and you should call 999.

People with heat stroke may stop sweating even though they are too hot, their temperature could have passed 40C and they may have seizures or lose consciousness.

• Like 1

I was outdoors most of the weekend and yesterday morning. Although I was in shady areas a lot of that time and drank lots of fluids, I did feel lousy yesterday afternoon/evening. Really tired, headache and even my legs ached, though I had not done too much physical graft.

I did wonder if it was payback.

Still feel a little grotty this morning.

You'd hope that the increase in extreme weather events would be a major wake up call to governments and people that run the world.

Editted to say, not that I'd consider this to be one of those. It does seem like these will continue to get more intense and frequent if we continue warming the planet up though.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 2

Another thing to note is that this is merely part of a larger trend in increasing number of extreme weather events occurring all over the world.

The UK feeling the heat a bit might not be too much of a problem, but there will be effects elsewhere much more significant, possibly resulting in millions of refugees rendered so by crop failures and lack of potable water.

That will have to be addressed internationally.

• Like 4

Have no idea what the fuss is about?We had higher temperatures last year and the year before for that matter.The summers of 2013 2006and 2003 were all corkers.I seem to remember the week Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990,the thermometer hit 35/36c for a few days.Which I think was a Leicester record at the time.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

1200px-20200324_Global_average_temperatu

The fuss is that these events will become more common, rather than evidently memorable.

The accelleration since 1975 is terrifying! Hopefully we can make some drastic changes over the next 20-30 years and start to reverse that trend

I will say I've enjoyed the lovely weather. 

However, other countries have had worrying hot weather. How long until it becomes very dangerous? Extended periods of unseasonably hot weather could **** agriculture and livestock. It could have a huge impact on society. 

• Like 1

Here in Vancouver Canada we had a heat wave a couple of weeks ago temperatures got up to 41 degrees, many elderly and homebound people actually passed away due to the heat.  If you have neighbors, family, or friends who are older and who live alone its a good idea to check in with them. 

My grandparents live alone in Oadby they are both almost 90 years old. I will be giving them a call now to check in on them. I know my grandfather will just laugh at the fact that I'm calling him to make sure he's feeling okay because of the heatwave. "We don't fuss about things like this" is what he will say I'm sure lol. 

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Love it personally.

It's ok in small doses. I can't sit outside in it for hours and hours. But it's nice to walk around without the need for jeans and a jacket.

We're never happy though are we. Moan if it's warm, moan when it's cold.. :D

Edited by Fox92