fuchsntf Posted 18 April 2022 Posted 18 April 2022 6 minutes ago, murphy said: Based on his incredible goal scoring record at his former club and based on being one of the most highly regarded attacking prospects in Europe. I mean, we all knew him, we were all excited to get him weren't we? Plus he needs his teammates to play with him & for him.. which this early side until now I haven’t seen, even when he has done the runs…
Bptiger Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 Until he improves his 1st touch , which at present is very poor, he also needs to hold the ball up so he can bring his team mates into the game 1
CosbehFox Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 (edited) I ain’t worried about him personally. Saw more than enough in the first half of the season to know he’s a good player whose adjusting and in a spell of poor form. His performance at Anfield where he got injured was superb and just after that he scored a proper strikers goal at Spurs. In general play he was very good at PSV Edited 19 April 2022 by Cardiff_Fox 1
Apollo Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 7 hours ago, murphy said: Based on his incredible goal scoring record at his former club and based on being one of the most highly regarded attacking prospects in Europe. I mean, we all knew him, we were all excited to get him weren't we? If you recall, we were looking for a striker, Edouard seemed to be a done deal (6 in 27 for Palace btw), Ivan Toney was mooted, then Daka became availabe. Someone who has much more potential than both in my opinion. It seemed a real coup to get him. Personally think people get caught up in other peoples hype about players they’ve never heard of. How many honestly sit and watch RB Salzburg games? A few will have known of Daka, but I bet lot hadn’t. Too early to write him off and he might well come good, but it’s concerning how far off the pace he looks. 1
Dahnsouff Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 9 hours ago, Tielemans63 said: Thank you, feel this cannot be repeated enough. If you are one of those who bin Daka, you would by the same logic, have binned Vardy off too. 1 1
An Sionnach Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 He must have known, of course , that he would be facing quicker thinking, technically better defenders , so it was going to be more difficult to create an impact. At this level its a brain game so we will have to hope his learning curve is short.
Claridge Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 54 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said: Thank you, feel this cannot be repeated enough. If you are one of those who bin Daka, you would by the same logic, have binned Vardy off too. and by the same logic, keep every under achieving player 1
Tommy Fresh Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 5 minutes ago, Claridge said: and by the same logic, keep every under achieving player I mean persisting with a player for more than one season would hardly be the end of the world.
Dahnsouff Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 6 minutes ago, Claridge said: and by the same logic, keep every under achieving player Indeed, at least in the case of Daka/Vardy, there is a precedent that would suggest patience might be warranted. (I am not for one second suggesting Daka could ever be as good as Vardy btw)
Claridge Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 Just now, Tommy Fresh said: I mean persisting with a player for more than one season would hardly be the end of the world. Depends on what offer we get I suppose. Anywhere near our money back and I would sell.
Tommy Fresh Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 Just now, Claridge said: Depends on what offer we get I suppose. Anywhere near our money back and I would sell. I'd rather keep him, he did enough in the first half of the season to warrant persisting with him. Much rather do that, then go out and sign a replacement who also then possibly takes a year to settle in.
Sampson Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 (edited) 9 hours ago, murphy said: Based on his incredible goal scoring record at his former club and based on being one of the most highly regarded attacking prospects in Europe. I’m not talking him down as I think he’ll come good, but goal scoring in the Austrian Bundesliga does not translate to goal scoring in the major European leagues. I think Haaland, who’s been the exception to the rule, has warped people’s view on the quality of the Austrian Bundesliga. For record, Daka was top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga last season, but looking at the careers of the prolific scorers in that division who’ve been signed from teams in the top European leagues, isn’t great reading. Here’s the top scorers in the Austrian Bundesliga in the last 10 years: 2020-21 - Patson Daka 2019-20 - Shon Weismann - at Real Valladolid. Struggled in La Liga, but doing well now in the Spanish 2nd tier 2017-18 & 2018-19 - Mu’nas Dunbar - 20/22 - Went to Sevilla and was a complete flop, now at Hoffenheim where he’s been mediocre or warmed the bench. 2016-17 - Olarenwaju Kayode - Went to ManCity and didn’t play a single game. Went to Shatkhar Doneskr afterwards and flopped again, been sent on multiple loans to lower half Turkish sides 2013-14/14-15/15-16 - Jonathan Sariano - Now doing the rounds in China 2012-13 - Signed by Rennes and flopped. Since then flopped at a bunch of German Second Division sides. You can keep going back in seasons and find similar career paths. Not saying Daka won’t be good, I’m just saying be wary of judging his goals in Austria. Seems like every top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga gets snapped up by a club in a major European league because it’s hard not to see they’re banging in a goal a game in Austria and think they’re great goal scorers - and basically all of them bar Haaland have flopped and many struggle even at the level of the Russian league or the Spanish or German 2nd tiers. Edited 19 April 2022 by Sampson 1
An Sionnach Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 (edited) This is why gambling on players with no CV at the top level is risky. They are cheaper to buy but you shouldn't be surprised if they struggle. Patson can be a consistent scorer in the PL but the club and fans are going to have to be patient. As long as Vardy is still potent we can do that. Edited 19 April 2022 by An Sionnach 1
murphy Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 12 minutes ago, Sampson said: I’m not talking him down as I think he’ll come good, but goal scoring in the Austrian Bundesliga does not translate to goal scoring in the major European leagues. I think Haaland, who’s been the exception to the rule, has warped people’s view on the quality of the Austrian Bundesliga. For record, Daka was top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga last season, but looking at the careers of the prolific scorers in that division who’ve been signed from teams in the top European leagues, isn’t great reading. Here’s the top scorers in the Austrian Bundesliga in the last 10 years: 2020-21 - Patson Daka 2019-20 - Shon Weismann - at Real Valladolid. Struggled in La Liga, but doing well now in the Spanish 2nd tier 2017-18 & 2018-19 - Mu’nas Dunbar - 20/22 - Went to Sevilla and was a complete flop, now at Hoffenheim where he’s been mediocre or warmed the bench. 2016-17 - Olarenwaju Kayode - Went to ManCity and didn’t play a single game. Went to Shatkhar Doneskr afterwards and flopped again, been sent on multiple loans to lower half Turkish sides 2013-14/14-15/15-16 - Jonathan Sariano - Now doing the rounds in China 2012-13 - Signed by Rennes and flopped. Since then flopped at a bunch of German Second Division sides. You can keep going back in seasons and find similar career paths. Not saying Daka won’t be good, I’m just saying be wary of judging his goals in Austria. Seems like every top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga gets snapped up by a club in a major European league because it’s hard not to see they’re banging in a goal a game in Austria and think they’re great goal scorers - and basically all of them bar Haaland have flopped and then struggle even at the level of the Russian league or the Spanish or German 2nd tiers. OK, but I think that your argument strengthens my point, because I have never heard of those names on your list and yet I was well aware of Patson Daka before our interest in him. Why? Because he was being touted as one of the best forward prospects in Europe. Those others weren't.
StanSP Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 Did Sadio Mane come from Salzburg to Liverpool? He must have scored a few there if so.
Sampson Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 (edited) 33 minutes ago, murphy said: OK, but I think that your argument strengthens my point, because I have never heard of those names on your list and yet I was well aware of Patson Daka before our interest in him. Why? Because he was being touted as one of the best forward prospects in Europe. Those others weren't. I don’t know. I’d never heard of him, but it was RB Salzburgs run in the Champions League that made everyone aware of Haaland so I imagine it’s the same reason for Daka. My point is more that history has shown that scoring bucketloads in the Austrian Bundesliga isn’t scoring at a high enough level that you can really say he’s going to be a success or not at a major European league. It’s like signing a prolific scorer from the lower leagues in that it’s always going to be a risk. It could come off like Vardy or Ulloa did or could fail like it did with Musa or Slimani who were prolific scorers in a better league if anything. Edited 19 April 2022 by Sampson
An Sionnach Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 9 minutes ago, StanSP said: Did Sadio Mane come from Salzburg to Liverpool? He must have scored a few there if so. Mané is the perfect example of what a young African player from a lower league can do. Southampton was his stepping stone to prove his ability before joining one of the giants. He is an exceptional player though and Daka will do very well indeed to get close to him.
murphy Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 (edited) 1 hour ago, Sampson said: I don’t know. I’d never heard of him, but it was RB Salzburgs run in the Champions League that made everyone aware of Haaland so I imagine it’s the same reason for Daka. My point is more that history has shown that scoring bucketloads in the Austrian Bundesliga isn’t scoring at a high enough level that you can really say he’s going to be a success or not at a major European league. It’s like signing a prolific scorer from the lower leagues in that it’s always going to be a risk. It could come off like Vardy or Ulloa did or could fail like it did with Musa or Slimani who were prolific scorers in a better league if anything. Ok, I take your point, although I think that Slim would have scored goals given the chance and was Musa ever that prolific in Russia (55 in 167)? ..but I digress... Yes, it is a risk signing players from lesser leagues, but it is a model that I happen to like personally and one that has served us well in the main. Buying the outstanding talents of the Championship (Justin, Maddison) is something that I Iike to see us do. I think that a good prospect can be identified, regardless of the standard, hence the growing reputation of Daka and in my opinion, he will go on to have a great career. Besides, we couldn't afford to buy the outstanding talents of the big three leagues. Edited 19 April 2022 by murphy 2
Popular Post The whole world smiles Posted 19 April 2022 Popular Post Posted 19 April 2022 Daka will hit the weights and fitness hard this summer and come back an absolute beast, especially with this year's experience under his belt. Think a similar situation to KDH. 14
Dorkingfox Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 No one can score if you do not give them the ball
Popular Post filbertway Posted 19 April 2022 Popular Post Posted 19 April 2022 No point writing any player off in their first season in a stronger division. Him and Bouba know what they need to do and it'll be quite clear early into next season whether they're heading in the right direction. 7
CrispinLA in Texas Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 5 hours ago, The whole world smiles said: Daka will hit the weights and fitness hard this summer and come back an absolute beast, especially with this year's experience under his belt. Think a similar situation to KDH. Hope Brendan upgrades of his coaching staff....we got a number of players who need a guiding hand 1
Phenom Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 (edited) His stats are actually fairly solid but he needs to keep improving to be more consistent. Edited 19 April 2022 by Phenom
cruzFOX Posted 19 April 2022 Posted 19 April 2022 We should keep the faith with Daka. Rogers and Daka both know what they need to work on so let them get on with it. I bet once he gets a goal or two he will start banging them in. Every striker goes thru a period like this. The only thing I fear is that Newcastle was probably the easier of the 3 games. Everton might be very scrappy and Villa we just don't know they will probably rain their game against us. We certainly can't coast thru these games or we will lose. The league is not going to stop for us while we play our Europa games.
Popular Post Strokes Posted 19 April 2022 Popular Post Posted 19 April 2022 Anyone saying get rid is at best thick as pig shit. Fair enough he hasn’t been incredible recently but he has hardly been crap. Given what we’ve seen early in the season, and that we already have 2 very good strikers at the club. I’m not sure what the hurry is to move him on. The guy has all the attributes to be a phenomenon. Strikers thrive on confidence and he it’s lacking currently but considering what we have seen with Vardy and Nacho over the last few years, how can you not give him time? 18
Recommended Posts