Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

4 hours ago, justfoxes said:

So by the look of the development  will the away fans be relocated elsewhere ?

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Away fans are moving more into the corner then will push into P Block or there abouts. It's on the plans and I believe I posted on here

From the plans it looks to me they won't be any further around behind the goal than they are now, so only as far as N Block :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

From the plans it looks to me they won't be any further around behind the goal than they are now, so only as far as N Block :dunno:

Currently the away end, ends in the letter L of Leicester City. We will have the letter L now and other parts of it. Practically to where the access tunnel is at ground level if that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Currently the away end, ends in the letter L of Leicester City. We will have the letter L now and other parts of it. Practically to where the access tunnel is at ground level if that makes sense.

Yes, just looking back in the early pages of this thread. P Block still ends in line with the East Stand touch line and then shows a gap to the away corner. So if the home seats are extending slightly into where the current away seats end (L) then it seems the away allocation might be reducing? Not like Southampton's away configuration as was suggested. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I would love the Ivanhoe line to reopen, but doubt it's necessary for further expansion.

Not necessary but makes it far easier for the c. 50k people living within 0-3 miles of Coalville to get into the city.

Plus Leicester fans living either side of Coalville 

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Not necessary but makes it far easier for the c. 50k people living within 0-3 miles of Coalville to get into the city.

Some away fans arriving by train especially if there's better food & drink available.

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I fully support the idea and think it would make it easier for supporters, let alone be for the good of the city/county/region.

I just don't think it is in the club's plans for expansion. If the line does get approved, that might change, but I don't see any sign they are pushing for it 

Frankly, with all their "smart transport" planning, I don't see much being done to encourage the use public transport to get to the stadium, aside from not providing sufficient parking.

We usually take the bus down the Welford Road, and there often isn't even a double decker bus on the bus coming from Fleckney, which doesn't run for evening/Sunday games. I imagine it is similar for other parts of the county.

44 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I fully support the idea and think it would make it easier for supporters, let alone be for the good of the city/county/region.

I just don't think it is in the club's plans for expansion. If the line does get approved, that might change, but I don't see any sign they are pushing for it 

Frankly, with all their "smart transport" planning, I don't see much being done to encourage the use public transport to get to the stadium, aside from not providing sufficient parking.

We usually take the bus down the Welford Road, and there often isn't even a double decker bus on the bus coming from Fleckney, which doesn't run for evening/Sunday games. I imagine it is similar for other parts of the county.

Copied from an earlier post... 

Couple of things from leafing through the travel plan:

• the club is going to ask the council for the new free bus service (planned from autumn 2022) to stop at the stadium on matchdays 
  • the club will control around 1,300 parking spaces around the stadium in total (they say this will be "broadly comparable" to existing proportion)
  • they have intentionally not created more spaces, in order to minimise traffic in the area on matchdays and encourage people to use public transport/walk
  • there is a target to reduce the proportion of people driving to the stadium on their own by 10% in the long term - with this being made up with more lift-sharing, walking and small increases in bus and train use 
  •  

7 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Copied from an earlier post... 

Couple of things from leafing through the travel plan:

• the club is going to ask the council for the new free bus service (planned from autumn 2022) to stop at the stadium on matchdays 
  • the club will control around 1,300 parking spaces around the stadium in total (they say this will be "broadly comparable" to existing proportion)
  • they have intentionally not created more spaces, in order to minimise traffic in the area on matchdays and encourage people to use public transport/walk
  • there is a target to reduce the proportion of people driving to the stadium on their own by 10% in the long term - with this being made up with more lift-sharing, walking and small increases in bus and train use 
  •  

As I said ... lack of parking.

The planned free bus service is just a city line connecting the train station, two bus stations and main university campuses. It will do nothing for people living further than Victoria Park, let alone in the suburbs/county towns.

The club should work with Arriva/First/Centrebus/EMR to promote using public transport for the games!

This includes something as simple as a video promoting public transport (with maps) played in the stadium pregame/halftime to more radical ideas such as giving free gameday travel to ticket holders (easier for buses than trains) and ensuring services run on Sundays/evenings when they are match days.

The travel plan now is getting a tiny electric bus to make a detour and provide no parking...

• Like 3

A free, subsidised bus service sounds good but as ever when talking about people abandoning their cars for public transport, they have to make the public transport more appealing, not just market it as CAR BAD BUS GOOD. If it's cheap and gives people an A-B mode of transport that gets people at least most of the way home, a lot of fans will go for it. And it needs to be viable from the first match. If it ends up being a nightmare after 4 or 5 games, unreliable and crowded with ripped & stained seats, it will die a death, killed on a bad first impression

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Yeah but Filbert St had character.

Our ground just lacks it completely. 

It isn't just the fact we're an established PL side now either...

.I used to think it in the Championship, when we were going to grounds like Bramall Lane, The City Ground etc, and the feeling on Matchday is just much better. Largely, I put that down to the fact that our ground, just simply has no character.

Hopefully the expansion helps, as it will at least take away the current 'Flat pack' element to the ground. 

I think if you're talking about architecture, steel and concrete then ours isn't a lot different to most modern stadiums. However, that's only a small part of it. Filbert Street, especially in the 60's and early 70's, had character but it never saw the pinnacle of English football or elite European competition. The aura of our stadium is far beyond what we had before. Depressing, I think not, for me anyway. 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 15:10, Stadt said:

On 31/01/2022 at 17:31, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

We're now NW Leics and as far as I can tell, using public transport - the bus and walking to KP, would be a 3+ hour round trip. I'd hoped to use it for matches, meet up with mates, few beers etc rather than drive. Sadly, doesn't look at all practical and will have to stick to the car unless the Ivanhoe line reopens.

The travel plan mainly covers stuff that was in the planning application, but couple of things I didn't know:

• there could be a "sports bar" in the East Stand with spillover outside area in the fan zone
  • they might use the arena for an "indoor fan zone" on matchdays
  • they are banking on people getting to the ground earlier to stagger arrivals
  • the club was looking into creating an LCFC smartphone app before the pandemic

There is a lot in there about parking. Their estimate is that there will be around 2,000 extra cars on matchdays.

They actually think this could be accomodated within the existing NCP car parks in the city (based on data from 2019 home games).

The new multi-storey will increase overall parking spaces, although the proportion to capacity will be around the same as now, they say.

There is also some talk of the club paying the council to use Saffron Lane Athletics Stadium for matchday parking, as an option.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

The travel plan mainly covers stuff that was in the planning application, but couple of things I didn't know:

• there could be a "sports bar" in the East Stand with spillover outside area in the fan zone
  • they might use the arena for an "indoor fan zone" on matchdays
  • they are banking on people getting to the ground earlier to stagger arrivals
  • the club was looking into creating an LCFC smartphone app before the pandemic

There is a lot in there about parking. Their estimate is that there will be around 2,000 extra cars on matchdays.

They actually think this could be accomodated within the existing NCP car parks in the city (based on data from 2019 home games).

The new multi-storey will increase overall parking spaces, although the proportion to capacity will be around the same as now, they say.

There is also some talk of the club paying the council to use Saffron Lane Athletics Stadium for matchday parking, as an option.

Not sure about the status of the new multi-storey car park on Putney Road, opposite Nixon Court. Is that available for match day parking? 

On 04/02/2022 at 18:54, Spudulike said:

Not sure about the status of the new multi-storey car park on Putney Road, opposite Nixon Court. Is that available for match day parking? 

I’m not sure to be honest - I think so?

The travel plan is based on car park data from 2019, so I don’t think they’ve included it in the assumed capacity for planning purposes.