Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

On 02/06/2022 at 18:14, leicesterseddon said:

For comparison, here's an informative (and rather entertaining) summary of Forest's current attempts to expand the City Ground to 35,000:

https://theathletic.com/3328440/2022/05/26/forest-city-ground-redevelopment/ 

They seem to have got Nottingham City Council to back down from its initial attempt to make them pay for work on bridges over the Trent, bus stops and cycle paths.

However, Nottinghamshire County Council are still trying to get them to contribute to new schools, a park-and-ride scheme and electronic information signs.

And that's before you consider negotiations with two local rowing clubs. At least we don't have that problem! 

Holy goodness, that reminded me of when I lived in Italy!

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Might've been posted before, dunno. Another attempt at showing the new developments at various stadiums. Starts at 4:50ish.

Well that sucked. Nothing better than missing the main elevation and stand completely off 🤔

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/explained-king-power-stadium-decision-7183685

Explained: Why King Power Stadium decision delayed as Leicester City target remains
The latest on the club's plans to expand the King Power Stadium as Leicester City Council explain why two target decision dates over the planning application have not been met

ByJordan Blackwell
18:59, 8 JUN 2022

Leicester City have accepted the delays over a decision on their planned expansion to the King Power Stadium with a summer 2024 opening not yet ruled out.

The club submitted their planning application for the new East Stand and the revamp of the stadium site last October, but Leicester City Council’s first two decision dates, February 10 and then April 20 have been and gone. The latest target is July 31.

The Council say the delays are not out of the ordinary for “large and complex” projects such as that planned at the King Power Stadium. City’s new stand will increase the capacity of their home ground to just over 40,000 seats, while the submitted application also included outline plans for a hotel, residential block, indoor arena, and a new club shop on the site.

Sixteen weeks after City submitted their application, they would have been entitled to appeal to the Secretary of State on the grounds of non-determination of the application. An inspector from the Planning Inspectorate would then be appointed to consider the plans.

It has now been 33 weeks since City submitted their application, but they have agreed to the City Council pushing back the date on a decision. Asked for explanation over the two missed targets, a City Council spokesperson said: “It is normal for a large and complex scheme of this nature to take longer to determine. The club has agreed to the extensions of time.”

Despite the wait, a 2024 opening is not yet off the cards. That summer, ahead of the 2024-25 season, was set as the earliest possible completion date for the opening of the East Stand when City first unveiled their plans. But while there were hopes of work beginning on the site at the start of 2022, delays over a green light may have been factored into the timescale.

Liverpool’s construction of the new Main Stand at Anfield also suggests a 2024 opening date remains possible. The build, which added around 8,000 new seats to their ground, a similar number to City’s plans, took 21 months to complete, from December 2014 to September 2016.

It is expected the work will have to be concluded during an off-season, so that attendances are not affected during a campaign. Architects KSS Group were involved in both City and Liverpool’s expansions, and at Anfield, the new stand was built behind the existing structure, before the stadium was knocked through and joined together with the new stand during the summer months. Therefore, if City cannot meet a summer 2024 deadline, the build will likely be pushed back a year to 2025.

City do have permission to begin work on the site, having had green lights given for preliminary works at the end of last year and the beginning of 2022. Among those permitted works is the demolition of the National Grid building which stands on the plot where City will construct their new East Stand. However, work has not yet begun on the site.

Clubs architects: "can we please have a devision now" 

Council: "fvck off and wait in line".

No spurprise really, but I am surprised with the excuse saying its to do with the larger development which is a load of rubbish. Plainly and simply the council are inept in their priorities in luie of a waiting system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

So, as suspected it's the Council with the hold up. 

It could be far more complex than that. 

We are not party to the details. Could be a variety of statutory bodies wanting information, some of which could be up to LCFC to provide and if its investigation/testing, reporting, it takes time. 

If the Club thought they'd get permission, they'd use the available powers to push it through. Court all - particularly given any delay with a consequential effect on price of materials. 

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It could be far more complex than that. 

We are not party to the details. Could be a variety of statutory bodies wanting information, some of which could be up to LCFC to provide and if its investigation/testing, reporting, it takes time. 

If the Club thought they'd get permission, they'd use the available powers to push it through. Court all - particularly given any delay with a consequential effect on price of materials. 

Disagree. 

Statutory reports are a given and submitted as part of the application under delegated powers. Non statutory reports are dealt with post approval via way of conditioning and have much more flexibility after the approval ticket.

The LA have too much workload IMO right now.

Also, the club can't just appeal, it isn't that simple. Appeal and the current application is null and void, and you have one shot only when sending it through the appeals process, therefore 50/50. 

We will be fine and the club can initiate legal intervention to LCC if they took the micky too far, just to nudge them. A lot of developers/contractors are resorting to legal intervention via planning consultants at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2022 at 20:52, glen parva fox said:

In some ways it's harder to get approval for these medium railway 🛤 lines as opposed to major infrastructure HS2 lines. 

It would also cost tens of millions.

All told this would take in excess of a decade to get off of the drawing board and looking at the rail infrastructure, the government are already cutting back on plenty of lines.

Who know, maybe the gov will approve it tomorrow just to pvss off the RMT

7 hours ago, UHDrive said:

In some ways it's harder to get approval for these medium railway 🛤 lines as opposed to major infrastructure HS2 lines. 

It would also cost tens of millions.

All told this would take in excess of a decade to get off of the drawing board and looking at the rail infrastructure, the government are already cutting back on plenty of lines.

Who know, maybe the gov will approve it tomorrow just to pvss off the RMT

The lines are there and already in use just need stations building . That said will still probably cost 10s of millions.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

The lines are there and already in use just need stations building . That said will still probably cost 10s of millions.  

True as far as Bardon Hill - everything west of there has been more or less mothballed since the 1990s and has an unstable trackbed due to mining subsidence over the years. It needs some serious trackwork to be able to operate at more than a crawl - but that's what these government grants are there for!

It's great the national government are getting involved - the biggest obstacle in recent times has been Leicestershire County Council, who have put out some pretty farcical feasibility studies predicting less passengers along the entire rpute than at single stations on the first leg. According to the last one I read, Sileby alone would supposedly generate more usage than Ashby, Coalville, Bardon Hill, Meynell's Gorse Park & Ride and Burton on Trent combined. :dunno:

It's all rubbish, of course. They just don't want to have to pay their share to subsidise the service at a time they've just spent a decade decimating other public transport provisions across the county. Never mind all the fluff about how great the development in Coalville and Bardon is - according to LCC, there'd be no demand for a train to get there. My friend who rides a packed, infrequent bus to Amazon near Ellistown from the city centre every morning would disagree.

Edit: The Amazon angle is an interesting one too. As a company they usually seek to put their distribution centres in places with good transport links for staff - like the one down near Bletchley on the M1, which backs onto the railway to Bedford which has since seen a heap of improvements to service frequency. That site at Bardon Hill was almost certainly chosen with at least some reassurance that a railway station would be built sooner rather than later.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

True as far as Bardon Hill - everything west of there has been more or less mothballed since the 1990s and has an unstable trackbed due to mining subsidence over the years. It needs some serious trackwork to be able to operate at more than a crawl - but that's what these government grants are there for!

It's great the national government are getting involved - the biggest obstacle in recent times has been Leicestershire County Council, who have put out some pretty farcical feasibility studies predicting less passengers along the entire rpute than at single stations on the first leg. According to the last one I read, Sileby alone would supposedly generate more usage than Ashby, Coalville, Bardon Hill, Meynell's Gorse Park & Ride and Burton on Trent combined. :dunno:

It's all rubbish, of course. They just don't want to have to pay their share to subsidise the service at a time they've just spent a decade decimating other public transport provisions across the county. Never mind all the fluff about how great the development in Coalville and Bardon is - according to LCC, there'd be no demand for a train to get there. My friend who rides a packed, infrequent bus to Amazon near Ellistown from the city centre every morning would disagree.

Edit: The Amazon angle is an interesting one too. As a company they usually seek to put their distribution centres in places with good transport links for staff - like the one down near Bletchley on the M1, which backs onto the railway to Bedford which has since seen a heap of improvements to service frequency. That site at Bardon Hill was almost certainly chosen with at least some reassurance that a railway station would be built sooner rather than later.

Great Post , I remember one feasiblity study on passenger numbers that didn't include weekends.😅

The amount using it for football,rugby and shopping from Ashby, Coalville alone would be massive, I'd hope.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Great Post , I remember one feasiblity study on passenger numbers that didn't include weekends.😅

The amount using it for football,rugby and shopping from Ashby, Coalville alone would be massive, I'd hope.

Hopefully, the questionnaire on usage issued by CRIL recently had very positive numbers. We'd certainly use it. I looked into using the bus to get to matches for pre match beers etc, but it's a 90-minute operation, including a lengthy walk.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

Yeah, and that's just it - you'd think the county council would be a little less bloody Leicester-centric! Even Soulsby has gone on record supporting it because people from Leicester could get work in the warehouses and heavy industry in NW Leicestershire. Which they already do, but with great difficulty. You almost wonder what the point is of building one of the biggest warehouse complexes and new housing developments in Britain is if you're just going to provide two rickety bus services for everyone that can't afford to run a car.

To quote my inner old fart, that whole area between the A50 and Ellistown used to be fields. :plancque:

As I said, people already commute there by bus, but it's a shite route that takes in half of Markfield and Groby on its way. I used that bus to visit my Dad in Ibstock one time and it took a solid hour-plus to do. Spat me out at the Amazon depot and I walked the last two miles. Public transport in NW Leics. is dire and no doubt has been since Beeching axed the rail service in the 60s. There was even a station at Bardon Hill back when it was just a hole in the ground and a few sheep. Trust me, look it up! lol

I'd definitely use the train to the footy if there was one - stay at Dad's, quick hop to Coalville station, do the usual then crawl home from either the KP station or Leicester Central after a few in town. Happy days.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Public transport in Leics. is dire and no doubt has been since Beeching axed the rail service in the 60s.

Also seems to be worse since the buses were privatised.

4 hours ago, los dedos said:

I remember I went to Birmingham for a show one weekend. Wife and I decided to take the train and spend the night (leaving the kids with her parents), and were shocked at how packed the trains were...and the restaurants. Waiter told us that everyone in the West Midlands headed into the city for the weekend to do their shopping. And this was last year, when people were still a bit shaky about going out.

With all of the complaints about a dying city center in Leicester, you'd think they would want it to be as easy as possible for people from the county to get there on the weekend.

11 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I remember I went to Birmingham for a show one weekend. Wife and I decided to take the train and spend the night (leaving the kids with her parents), and were shocked at how packed the trains were...and the restaurants. Waiter told us that everyone in the West Midlands headed into the city for the weekend to do their shopping. And this was last year, when people were still a bit shaky about going out.

With all of the complaints about a dying city center in Leicester, you'd think they would want it to be as easy as possible for people from the county to get there on the weekend.

Last time i went to Birmingham on the train we were packed in sardines, so much so a lad near me was having a panic attack and had to be calmed down.  Our railways are so terrible you'd think they'd be amongst the cheapest not amongst the most expensive.

• Like 1