Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

25 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Will be interesting to see how quickly planning approval takes for Villa... 

Aston Villa launch plans to increase capacity of Villa Park - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61965353

It is interesting how clubs are investing in stadium. I think as 40k+ and 50k+ stadium become more common (with the accrued attendance expectations and debt) the political forces against a Super League will grow in England. There is just too much investment happening in the PL.

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

It is interesting how clubs are investing in stadium. I think as 40k+ and 50k+ stadium become more common (with the accrued attendance expectations and debt) the political forces against a Super League will grow in England. There is just too much investment happening in the PL.

Personally feel it's quite surprising. When the cost of living really starts to bite in the winter and we tip into recession I think football attendances will dip. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Some facts why;

Premier League crowd figures are set to pass 15 million in a season for the first time since the competition was formed in 1992. A forecast final total of 15.03 million people for 2021-22 is up on the 14.62 million who attended games in 2018-19, the last season unaffected by Covid. Record figures are expected this season despite sanctions affecting Chelsea.

The sports marketing agency Two Circles, data shows clubs recorded £821.6m in ticketing and hospitality for the season, equivalent to £2.2m per Premier League home game, and the average occupancy of grounds was 96.1%, with the highest level recorded at Anfield with 99.2% occupancy for Liverpool home games.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Some facts why;

Premier League crowd figures are set to pass 15 million in a season for the first time since the competition was formed in 1992. A forecast final total of 15.03 million people for 2021-22 is up on the 14.62 million who attended games in 2018-19, the last season unaffected by Covid. Record figures are expected this season despite sanctions affecting Chelsea.

The sports marketing agency Two Circles, data shows clubs recorded £821.6m in ticketing and hospitality for the season, equivalent to £2.2m per Premier League home game, and the average occupancy of grounds was 96.1%, with the highest level recorded at Anfield with 99.2% occupancy for Liverpool home games.

Currently there are nine PL stadiums with more than 40k capacity. The Bundesliga has 11, with fewer teams.

• Like 1

Still have higher average attendances than premier league though.  Larger stadiums aren't that important these days unless they can get a much larger crowd in like spurs 'new' stadium.  I think most redevelopment of existing stadiums will be to increase corporate facilities.

The next couple of years might slow attendance growth but putting projects that can take years even to break ground on hold is daft. Delaying for one year is probably more like delaying by three.

7 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Still have higher average attendances than premier league though.  Larger stadiums aren't that important these days unless they can get a much larger crowd in like spurs 'new' stadium.  I think most redevelopment of existing stadiums will be to increase corporate facilities.

Actually, the Bundesliga has a higher attendance: Around 42,000 for the Germans, around 39,000 for the Premier League. That is purely due to higher capacity.

1 hour ago, Winsum said:

Aston Villa announced today they are expanding the stadium up to 50,000 , hoping to start the work next year

We need to get our position resolved in July beginning to turn into a saga 

Much needed at that end of the ground but I think it will take a bit of time. Villa and their consultants will have to work hard in how local transport can accommodate the additional numbers cos it suffers on matchday 

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Actually, the Bundesliga has a higher attendance: Around 42,000 for the Germans, around 39,000 for the Premier League. That is purely due to higher capacity.

To give that some context though, this very, very much helped by the Olympia Stadion in Berlin being filled to capacity three times a season. Be interested to see how they compare when Spurs were at Wembley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Germany has 20 million more people living in it than England tbf

19 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

That's purely a legacy of the World Cup though. A lot of those stadiums aren't full week in week out. 

Off the top of my head:

Berlin - only full for big games

Munich - always full

Dortmund - always full

Frankfurt - always full

Gladbach - always full

Cologne - always full

Stuttgart - usually full I believe

Leipzig - definitely NOT full

Schalke (back this season) - always full

Bremen (back this season) - usually full

It all depends on the club and how well supported they are. In PL, Man City struggle to fill big grounds. Liverpool wouldn't. Villa have a massive ST waiting list. Realistically there aren't many teams that would fill big stadiums without success.

1 hour ago, 09bballer said:

For next season does losing Norwich, Watford and Burnley's capacity roughly equal gaining Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest? I know Bournemouth capacity is small.

I reckon:

Norwich is roughly Forest

Burnley equals Fulham

Watford beats Bournemouth

So overall, I think a minor reduction this season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Not exactly purely due to higher capacities, your average season ticket price in Germany is much cheaper than the premier league. Granted, it's largely due to standing ticket prices. Hopefully safe standing can here (if it ever becomes the norm) can help reduce the cost of tickets, but I doubt it would be a huge reduction

Edited by Jimbo

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not exactly purely due to higher capacities, your average season ticket price in Germany is much cheaper than the premier league. Granted, it's largely due to standing ticket prices. Hopefully safe standing can here (if it ever becomes the norm) can help reduce the cost of tickets, but I doubt it would be a huge reduction

Problem with safe-standing tickets is that currently, it is all at a ratio of 1:1, with some of the rail seating designs not even allowing for extra standing space in the locked position. Most places have a 1.5:1 ratio, with some rail seats in Germany allowing 2:1.

I think we are years off in England before we get more than 1:1, so it won't be affecting ticket prices at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Problem with safe-standing tickets is that currently, it is all at a ratio of 1:1, with some of the rail seating designs not even allowing for extra standing space in the locked position. Most places have a 1.5:1 ratio, with some rail seats in Germany allowing 2:1.

I think we are years off in England before we get more than 1:1, so it won't be affecting ticket prices at all.

Very true, but a "standing" ticket is usually cheaper than a seated ticket, so clubs would have to come up with a fair justification of why they wouldn't be cheaper.

The advantage clubs have is that a lot of fans want standing to be brought back, a hark back to the old days of old fashioned terraces, so there would be quite a big demand for standing tickets, demand would probably outweigh supply, so you're probably right I'm saying they won't lower prices. 

If English fans could show they can be trusted with safe standing then it wouldn't be an issue, but that won't ever happen and it only takes one to ruin it for everyone else. If safe standing ever does become the norm, it will never be more than 1:1 ratio because of scenes like the euro final etc

Regardless of all of that though, season ticket prices are ridiculous in the premier league (I know ours aren't too bad) but until clubs see a decline in attendances (which will never happen) they'll just keep going up because the premier league is such a spectacle.

20 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Much cheaper prices too.

Edited by foxes1988