Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes96

AFCON 2022

Might be a bit premature but probably deserved it’s own thread at some point… 

AFCON is due to run 09-Jan to 06-Feb next year, and we could be without the following 4 players during that period:

Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria) 

Kelechi Iheanacho (Nigeria)

Daniel Amartey (Ghana) 

Nampalys Mendy (Senegal)

LCFC Fixtures: 

01/01 - Norwich (H)

08/01 - FA Cup 3rd Round - TBC 

15/01 - Burnley (A) 

22/01 - Brighton (H) 

05/02 - FA Cup 4th round - TBC

Not a bad run of fixtures on paper to be missing players, although the above sides have very few players away at AFCON so will be less affected (Norwich 0, Burnley 1, Brighton 1). Also worth noting as per the below article, FIFA have stated that players will need to be released by their clubs from 27-Dec. Which could mean we may also be without our African contingent for the Liverpool (H) game on the 28th (but likewise they could also be without Salah, Mané and Keïta). Although they/ we may get special dispensation for those player to join up with their nations later. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/28/aubameyang-to-zaha-how-africa-cup-of-nations-will-hit-premier-league

We're playing every 3 or 4 days on average in December so we'll pick up injuries and have some tired legs going into a period where we lose 3 important players :unsure:

Tielemans Soumare

Soyuncu Vestergaard

Is a likely central quartet at some point, which doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.

45 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We're playing every 3 or 4 days on average in December so we'll pick up injuries and have some tired legs going into a period where we lose 3 important players :unsure:

Tielemans Soumare

Soyuncu Vestergaard

Is a likely central quartet at some point, which doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.

Lets hope Fofana is back sometime in Jan.

Randomly and probably get shot down but I think Fofana has all the ability to play in Ndidi's role at DM.

Quick, Physical, good on the ball, can tackle.  

Edited by coolhandfox

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Lot of teams in the same boat. 

However we seem to be playing team that are least affected in Norwich (0), Burnley (1 Player) and Brighton (1 Player)

Cornet missing for Burnley will be good for us, he was quite good against us in the home game until he went off injured

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Randomly and probably get shot down but I think Fofana has all the ability to play in Ndidi's role at DM.

Played as a DM when he was younger I believe

57 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I've had enough of players being played out of position!

From what we've seen so far, Soumare isn't a DM either, he's much more of an auxiliary midfielder.

Choudhury it is.

:hamza:

12 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

AFCON is due to run 09-Jan to 06-Feb next year, and we could be without the following 4 players during that period:

Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria) 

Daniel Amartey (Ghana) 

Nampalys Mendy (Senegal)

And of course not forgetting Mahrez and Slimani for Algeria, Musa for Nigeria, Benalouane for Tunisia and last but not least Daka for Zambia. :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

The following players have received call ups for AFCON

Daniel Amartey (Ghana)

Nampalys Mendy (Senegal)

Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria)

No call up for Ademola Lookman for Nigeria

They are able to stay with us until 3rd January, and then the tournament runs until 6th February

All 3 of Ghana, Senegal, and Nigeria are teams expected to go far in the competition

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

Lookmans switch to Nigeria still hasn't been completed apparently

Pinnick (Nigerian FA President) has been in touch with Lookman in recent hours and has an update on the international future of the winger.

Asked why Lookman wasn't named in Nigeria's AFCON squad, Pinnick told allnigeriasoccer.com on Wednesday afternoon : "His switch has not been completed. I just spoke with Ademola now.

"Ademola loves to play for Nigeria but his switch is taking time".

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=42072

Lookman had been included in Nigeria's initial 40 man squad but failed to make the final 28 - due to the above is the obvious reason why now

https://soccernet.ng/2021/12/no-nwakali-ndah-but-lookman-made-rohrs-super-eagles-40-man-list-for-afcon-2021.html

Edited by moore_94