Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Two people arrested for illegally streaming TV services in Oadby Leicestershire

Police carried out a warrant at a house in Oadby

ByFinvola Dunphy
12:52, 30 NOV 2021

Two people have been arrested in Leicestershire for illegally streaming TV services.

Police carried out a warrant at a house in Oadby yesterday, Monday, November 29, as part of a crackdown on illegal streaming.

A man, aged 33, and a woman, 48, were arrested on suspicion of infringing copyright by communicating work, according to police.

Read more Leicestershire crime stories here

Officers seized a variety of equipment which they believe were used to unlawfully stream paid-for TV services through internet protocol television (IPTV).

Both people have since been released under investigation but the police clampdown continues.

The force confirmed they have now shut down the IPTV service.

Officers also accessed the online platform to disable the illegal streams and to display an on-screen message to users warning them against further illegal streaming.

Detective Constable Aaron Horn, from the Leicestershire Police Cyber Crime Unit, said: "I would like to take the opportunity to remind our communities that providing or accessing copyrighted material through illegitimate IPTV services is illegal.

"We will continue to work with colleagues from organisations who provide legitimate paid-for TV services to crack down on those breaking the law."

Kieron Sharp, CEO at FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft), added: "We are pleased to support this action taken by Leicestershire Police, which sends a clear message not only to those facilitating this illegal activity but also to those choosing to consume content in this way.

"Providing illegal streaming services is a serious crime and consumers paying for these services should be aware that they are giving their money directly to criminals."

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

"Providing illegal streaming services is a serious crime and consumers paying for these services should be aware that they are giving their money directly to criminals."

Thanks guys. People providing illegal services are criminals. Shocker. 

Think the last time I heard about one of these services being shut down, the person running it was a police officer. 

Prosecution will never stop this sort of activity. The distributors are basically competing against these streamers and the most efficient way to cut the illegal activity right down, is by making your service more desirable. Haven't met anyone downloading music illegally since the advent of online music streaming. 

Either that, or some sort of technology makes it impossible to stream illegal content. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

They beat illegal music and film piracy through cheap legal stream. It's obvious what they need to do to beat illegal football streaming. 

Most fans I think would happily pay quite a bit for the opportunity to legally stream all their team's games if they had the opportunity.

It's amazing how this is patently obvious to everyone but those actually running the show.

Can't stop the signal.

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

They beat illegal music and film piracy through cheap legal stream. It's obvious what they need to do to beat illegal football streaming. 

Most fans I think would happily pay quite a bit for the opportunity to legally stream all their team's games if they had the opportunity.

I lived in Australia for a while a few years back and stayed briefly with a friend who had some sort of Virgin/Sky type TV subscription. You can just select your preferred fixture from a list of the Prem games on that day. 

If a similar service existed in the UK, illegal streaming would drop significantly. If it became affordable, I think you could easily draw most of your potential market away from crappy unreliable illegal streams. 

7 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

I lived in Australia for a while a few years back and stayed briefly with a friend who had some sort of Virgin/Sky type TV subscription. You can just select your preferred fixture from a list of the Prem games on that day. 

If a similar service existed in the UK, illegal streaming would drop significantly. If it became affordable, I think you could easily draw most of your potential market away from crappy unreliable illegal streams. 

Optus sport, part of the mobile phone plan.

I get every game, unlimited calls and texts, plus 6 gig a month all for the equivalent of 15 pounds a month.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

If a similar AFFORDABLE  service existed in the UK, illegal streaming would drop significantly. If it became affordable, I think you could easily draw most of your potential market away from crappy unreliable illegal streams. 

:thumbup:

Well I pay for Sky Sports, Amazon Prime and recently signed a monthly contract for BT Sports which is £25/month so I can watch the Europa away games and a few PL games, total rip off but you have no choice and you still don't get to see even the

away games.

Netflix is less than £5 / month for an amazing list of films and series plus for me nearly all with sub-titles.

Clone Wars: The Mobile Menace - snappzilla

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Illegally download everything you can when it benefits you. **** these greedy scumbag companies. 

Don't quite agree with this, if someone has written a song, they get paid royalties which come from everytime someone downloads or plays that song, considering records and cd's are not really mainstream any more, a musicians only source of income is from streamed music, it's not really on to just nick someones work without them getting paid is it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MPH said:

:thumbup:

I think that streaming would drop significantly, even if it wasn't exactly a great price. People already pay a huge amount monthly for access to a handful of Premiership games. 

That's why I said affordable in my next sentence, as if it was affordable, they'd hoover up subscription fees from almost every football fan in the country. 

I wouldn't be paying sky-level subscription fees myself. I remember someone discussing on a podcast, whether it would be more profitable to show UFC for free and raise the price of advertising in-line with the increased viewership to make-up the shortfall. Would be interesting to hear the prospective figures on such a calculation. Not sure whether its realistic for some sports. 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

To sell the games on TV cheap, would mean less money for the clubs in TV money and attendances. 

You have to differentiate between a fair price for the clubs and the rights holders and the price you'd like to pay. 

19 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Don't quite agree with this, if someone has written a song, they get paid royalties which come from everytime someone downloads or plays that song, considering records and cd's are not really mainstream any more, a musicians only source of income is from streamed music, it's not really on to just nick someones work without them getting paid is it.

Agree in principle. Perhaps given the economic system we live in the best answer is to withdraw. Stop using if its not within our ability or our perceived value to society. Maybe what you have touched on starts to go to the real crux of the issue. Who owns what. What has value and who deserves to own it. Maybe we should learn to go without. Stop listening. Stop looking. Stop participating. Exciting times.

Edited by SO1

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

To sell the games on TV cheap, would mean less money for the clubs in TV money and attendances. 

Although that sounds intuitive (and depends on the price point), I would have thought that selling streaming services at an affordable rate would get a massive increase in people willing to pay, so might actually raise more money for the clubs. Attendances may suffer but you'll always get a large section that will always prefer to go to games in person, so clubs may have to incentivise a little but I'd have thought most Premier League games would still be near capacity

I used to use NowTV's Sky Sports day passes when they were £4.99, seemed perfectly reasonable if there was a match available that I wanted to watch. Then it was £6.99, and it felt more of a luxury. Then it suddenly jumped to £9.99 for the same product and I never bothered since

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well I pay for Sky Sports, Amazon Prime and recently signed a monthly contract for BT Sports which is £25/month so I can watch the Europa away games and a few PL games, total rip off but you have no choice and you still don't get to see even the

away games.

Netflix is less than £5 / month for an amazing list of films and series plus for me nearly all with sub-titles.

And you still can't see every City game!

Why can't we have a service showing all of a club games, I'd happily pay for a City game pass. 

8 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Although that sounds intuitive (and depends on the price point), I would have thought that selling streaming services at an affordable rate would get a massive increase in people willing to pay, so might actually raise more money for the clubs. Attendances may suffer but you'll always get a large section that will always prefer to go to games in person, so clubs may have to incentivise a little but I'd have thought most Premier League games would still be near capacity

I used to use NowTV's Sky Sports day passes when they were £4.99, seemed perfectly reasonable if there was a match available that I wanted to watch. Then it was £6.99, and it felt more of a luxury. Then it suddenly jumped to £9.99 for the same product and I never bothered since

It's affordable now to those who pay for it now. Realistically, if you halved the current price, would you get double the subscribers, I doubt lt. Sky and BT research these things, they work out what the best price is to get customers and make a profit. 

Edited by Webbo

so outdated now its ridiculous. 

The sooner they follow the American sports network style the better. 

Premier League need to bin off everyone and create the Premier League Network. Make it world wide and they will generate Billions. So much more than any TV deal they currently have. 

• Like 2