Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

I imagine we would be up for it seeing as it would mean we couldn't be relegated again lol

https://trainingground.guru/articles/premier-league-set-to-introduce-swiss-style-format-for-under-21s#.ZGNERiC24uw.twitter

Premier League set to introduce 'Swiss-style' format for Under-21s

PREMIER LEAGUE 2 could become a one-tier competition with no promotion or relegation under proposals being considered by clubs.

There has been a season-long review of the Under-21s competition because of concerns about how effective the current games programme is in preparing Academy players for the senior game.

Currently, Category One clubs are placed in Premier League 2 and placed in two divisions. A handful of new formats have been suggested for the start of the 2024/25 campaign and Academy Managers will choose one to be put forward to the Premier League Annual General Meeting in June.

Club directors will then vote on the proposal at the AGM, with at least 13 of 20 votes required to push any changes through.

The ‘Swiss model’ is believed to be the one that is most widely preferred by Academy Managers. This is based on the Swiss-system tournament used in chess and will be used in the Champions League from 2024/25, albeit with fewer teams. The proposal for PL2 is that there would be one single league of 25 teams, with clubs seeded based on their historical performance in the competition.

Each team would play 20 matches in the regular season (the same number as in PL2 Division Two in 2022/23 but six fewer than in PL2 Division One).

Fixtures are drawn out of five pots based on these seedings and teams would play each club in their own pot as well as four or five teams from the other pots.

At the end of the regular season the top 16 teams would go into play-offs to determine the overall winner. The idea is that by removing relegation, development decisions will take priority over league position.

I can sort of see the merits of that model (might stop us signing / playing people in their mid-20s at the expense of more promising talents who are younger, for example) but surely by removing the jeopardy of relegation you're taking something away from the mental development of players? There'd be loads of dead rubber kickabouts. How does that prepare you any better for the professional game?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I can sort of see the merits of that model (might stop us signing / playing people in their mid-20s at the expense of more promising talents who are younger, for example) but surely by removing the jeopardy of relegation you're taking something away from the mental development of players? There'd be loads of dead rubber kickabouts. How does that prepare you any better for the professional game?

Hopefully encourage clubs to design meaningful long term development pathways including well thought out loans programmes.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-notebook-transfer-dilemmas-8454611

Goalkeeper Dillon Addai, who played 12 of City’s 22 Under-18 Premier League fixtures and both of their FA Youth Cup ties this season, has said he will be leaving the club after two years.

He wrote on social media: “After two years, my time at LCFC has finished. It has been an amazing two years and I thank God that I was able to have such a wonderful opportunity to play for the club.

“I have met so many great people over this time that have helped me and gone above and beyond and I couldn’t have asked for anything more. Thank you to everyone that has been involved in these last two years. It has been great.”

Popov set for surgery

It’s been a season of misfortune for young striker Chris Popov, and it’s continued through to the end of the campaign. He was substituted off in the Under-21s’ penultimate game against his former club Manchester United following a foul in which he appeared to hurt his ankle, and he has now said he will require surgery.

Popov wrote on Instagram: “This season by far has been the hardest of my life, the struggles with both injuries and different setbacks alongside recently getting re-injured needing to go through another operation. I know I’ll get the best support possible and I’ll make sure I am back stronger doing what I do best.”

On 16/05/2023 at 12:09, FerrisBueller said:

https://ab-fodbold.dk/akademisk-boldklub-gladsaxe-skriver-en-fleraarig-kontrakt-med-layton-ndukwu/

Layton Ndukwu signing for AB Gladsaxe, a 2nd division Danish team in greater Copenhagen is the most bizarre news you’ll hear today.

...nice to see him still trying to live his dreams!!!

Hopefully, he can enjoy what is left of his career, the style of play may help him, he always played on the periphery of the game, and he struggled to contribute anything to games. He never seemed happy to be out there, it seemed as if it was best that he sought to find something other than football to do for a living.

There were times, admittingly few and very far between when he looked brilliant, that is never enough to build a career on.

On 16/05/2023 at 14:53, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

...if you watch the U21s, they do not play as if there is jeopardy due to the current format!!!

This team plays like a training session, with no one playing as if they want to make the first team. This is pretty much a schoolboy academy that we are running, the comparison to the other teams is vast as they have better-organised play and look a lot more professional. Braybrooke at this moment seems like he can hold his own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...nice to see him still trying to live his dreams!!!

Hopefully, he can enjoy what is left of his career, the style of play may help him, he always played on the periphery of the game, and he struggled to contribute anything to games. He never seemed happy to be out there, it seemed as if it was best that he sought to find something other than football to do for a living.

There were times, admittingly few and very far between when he looked brilliant, that is never enough to build a career on.

Yeah fair play to him, it just seems quite random. I would have thought there was at least a league 2 or conference team willing to take a punt as the 3rd tier in Denmark is way below that standard. Although in honesty I’ve not seen an awful lot of him.

5 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Yeah fair play to him, it just seems quite random. I would have thought there was at least a league 2 or conference team willing to take a punt as the 3rd tier in Denmark is way below that standard. Although in honesty I’ve not seen an awful lot of him.

Recently watched him play for Barwell FC not long ago after a brief spell in Albania with FK Kukësi so let’s hope he finally finds a home 

3 minutes ago, Nannypig7 said:

Recently watched him play for Barwell FC not long ago after a brief spell in Albania with FK Kukësi so let’s hope he finally finds a home 

... all this wandering around like a nomad, no doubt dragging his family with him trying to find a level where he is comfortable in the game!!!

I suggested some time ago that he had problems mentally, and should have been looking to come to terms with them, as a way of moving forward. This wandering about, looking for the right fit in any corner of the globe is not going to solve his problems. The first thing he needs to do is admit he has a problem, and be honest with himself and others close to him, because when he hangs up his boots, who does he blame then?

One of the rare occasions that I saw a flash of great quality was just after he had attempted to score from the halfway line, he had done it before in a previous game, but in this game, he was not successful. The next time he got on the ball he was mesmerising, beating players around him using two feet with very tight ball control. It was as if he needed permission to be himself as no one had rebuked him for his speculative attempt previously.

It would be very interesting to know what is going on in his head.

• Like 1

https://trainingground.guru/articles/newcastle-hire-leicesters-burrows-as-academy-revamp-takes-shape

NEWCASTLE UNITED have hired Claire Burrows from Leicester City as their Academy recruitment revamp takes shape.

Burrows has now been appointed Recruitment Operations Manager after three-and-a-half years as Leicester City's Academy Recruitment Operations Manager. 

Writing on Twitter, Burrows said: “So excited to announce that I will be joining Newcastle United as Recruitment Operations Manager. Great club, great city and amazing passionate people. What a time to be joining - the aspiration and ambition of the club is only going up.”

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/newcastle-hire-leicesters-burrows-as-academy-revamp-takes-shape

NEWCASTLE UNITED have hired Claire Burrows from Leicester City as their Academy recruitment revamp takes shape.

Burrows has now been appointed Recruitment Operations Manager after three-and-a-half years as Leicester City's Academy Recruitment Operations Manager. 

Writing on Twitter, Burrows said: “So excited to announce that I will be joining Newcastle United as Recruitment Operations Manager. Great club, great city and amazing passionate people. What a time to be joining - the aspiration and ambition of the club is only going up.”

No loss whatsoever 

3 years of consistent failure within the academy bar a decent Youth Cup run. Seems a weird appointment on that score. 

“Great club, great city…” yawny, yawn, yawn.

On 16/05/2023 at 16:32, Noahfence said:

I believe they’re in the 3rd tier! 

Correct. It is LCFC that are in the second tier (come Sunday evening).

I assume a recruitment opperations manager at Academy level essentially sorts out accomodation, education, contract bits and sorting out travel plans and schedules for scouts etc. 

I'm not saying it's not a loss but that's a very replaceable role that can be done by anyone with opperations experience. 

5 hours ago, Holly B said:

No loss whatsoever 

Really hoping your second name is burrows and this is some sort of intense sibling hatred lol 

Edited by AjcW
  • Haha 2