Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Nelson

On 02/06/2022 at 00:15, Bert said:

I’ve seen it. Not exactly sure what his age has to do with it? Regardless of how many times he played or how he played he was still a big part of the squad, he won two player awards the season we’ve stayed up (one being the players player, so I’ll take their opinion on him over yours) he’s then played champions league (the same year that Barnes made his debut) with us and then continued to play top flight football. I love Dewsbury Hall but he’s had half a season at this level. Barnes of course is a great talent but also very hit and miss. So yep, Schlupp has achieved more than any of them mentioned. 

You;re right but I don't recall anybody losing sleep over him going to Palace.  In fact the majority of posters seemed to be delighted and a little surprised to find a suitor for him at £12m.  He was getting an awful lot of criticism for some headless chicken performances.  Yes, he has a ,medal for 2016 but so do Amartey, De Laet and Gray.  He was very much a bit part player on the periphery of a very settled team.

He was OK for us, if a little erratic. but lets not pretend he is in the same league as Harvey Barnes just because he had the good fortune be part of the squad in 2016.

56 minutes ago, murphy said:

You;re right but I don't recall anybody losing sleep over him going to Palace.  In fact the majority of posters seemed to be delighted and a little surprised to find a suitor for him at £12m.  He was getting an awful lot of criticism for some headless chicken performances.  Yes, he has a ,medal for 2016 but so do Amartey, De Laet and Gray.  He was very much a bit part player on the periphery of a very settled team.

He was OK for us, if a little erratic. but lets not pretend he is in the same league as Harvey Barnes just because he had the good fortune be part of the squad in 2016.

Good fortune is Daniel Amartey. Jeff Schlupp had been involved with the first team for 4 Years prior to us winning the prem. I would hardly call that good fortune. He was a big part of the team, a big part of the dressing room. There’s more to being involved on the pitch at this club.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Bert said:

Good fortune is Daniel Amartey. Jeff Schlupp had been involved with the first team for 4 Years prior to us winning the prem. I would hardly call that good fortune. He was a big part of the team, a big part of the dressing room. There’s more to being involved on the pitch at this club.  

We wanted to keep him, in fact!

He wanted to be playing every week, and we couldn't offer that. Frankly, I don't think anyone can say it was a bad career choice on his part.

Given he came up when we were in the Championship and fell down the pecking order in when the team went up to the Premier League, going directly into the starting lineup of another PL squad shows his quality, and is a credit to our Academy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

We wanted to keep him, in fact!

He wanted to be playing every week, and we couldn't offer that. Frankly, I don't think anyone can say it was a bad career choice on his part.

Given he came up when we were in the Championship and fell down the pecking order in when the team went up to the Premier League, going directly into the starting lineup of another PL squad shows his quality, and is a credit to our Academy.

Yes I know we did. I will never be able to fault anyone that wants to leave for regular game time. 

• Like 2

On 05/06/2022 at 21:45, majaco said:

So no news on Ben Nelson still other than Schlupp plays for Crystal Palace.

And was an under-rated 15/16 player and is a successful academy graduate. Pay attention please.

34 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

And was an under-rated 15/16 player and is a successful academy graduate. Pay attention please.

Oh sorry.  I now see it was all on topic.  Thank you for your superior take.

27 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I kind of feel there should have always been a thread called ‘Schlupp Facts’.

A but like the old jokey facts about Chuck Norris. Under his beard was another fist etc…

Yeah, but it would be things like “Jeff Schlupp can take a shot at the King Power Stadium and score it at Wembley” but that would be because he would blast a shot that far over the bar.

(Honestly, those classic Schlupp moments where his mind spaced out kind of made him more endearing, and I still like Schlupp and am glad he’s made a good career for himself since leaving City.)

• Like 4

On 06/06/2022 at 21:58, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I kind of feel there should have always been a thread called ‘Schlupp Facts’.

A but like the old jokey facts about Chuck Norris. Under his beard was another fist etc…

Schlupp has a very hard head

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Schlupp always came across as a decent chap actually. You happily go for a pint with him.

Except when it was his round he’d go to the bar and instead of bringing you your pint he’d come back half an hour later with a pint of Campari and soda with a paper umbrella in it 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Except when it was his round he’d go to the bar and instead of bringing you your pint he’d come back half an hour later with a pint of Campari and soda with a paper umbrella in it 

As I said, great fun. I reckon Mendy would have half a shandy to be polite and then go home.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

That'd be a very nice move for him! They're pushing for the playoffs, so a completely different environment to Rochdale, who are in the same league but fighting against relegation.

According to that article:

"Kyle Knoyle had been playing on the right-hand side of a back three before his departure to Stockport County, and now that he has departed it has left a vacancy in Schofield’s defence.

You’d imagine that Nelson would get plenty of playing time at Doncaster despite his experience at Rochdale where he was on the bench a lot..."

Sounds as if he would play there, which would be fantastic if so.

8 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

That'd be a very nice move for him! They're pushing for the playoffs, so a completely different environment to Rochdale, who are in the same league but fighting against relegation.

"Kyle Knoyle had been playing on the right-hand side of a back three before his departure to Stockport County, and now that he has departed it has left a vacancy in Schofield’s defence.

You’d imagine that Nelson would get plenty of playing time at Doncaster despite his experience at Rochdale where he was on the bench a lot..."

Huth seems to be doing alright at this loans job.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I couldn't agree more! Pointless to bring him into the first team and probably play him in positions that he's not naturally best at. Good luck to him and I hope he improves by playing there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

Doncaster put 4 past a Rochdale defence he was part of, but they must've seen something they liked in him!