Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Nelson

52 minutes ago, Shane said:

Probably a bit of both. I assume other clubs are interested in a talent like Nelson. We’ve had quite a few scouts from big clubs at our youth games recently, for example Dortmund have been watching Braybrooke (they have scouts living in England who follow the youth leagues). 

Nelson’s agents can use this interest as leverage in future negotiations I guess.

One key issue to Nelson progressing here will be his lack of pace, which could leave him exposed in a high line. However, he is an intelligent player with decent positional awareness so it’s possible he could adapt.

Hopefully he goes out on loan. Definitely not one to throw into the first team squad right now, despite our frailties at the back.

I must admit I'd never noticed a lack of pace with him but he didn't enjoy playing in a back 3, went off the boil when he was deployed as the RCB and then immediately looked commanding again when the U23's went back to a back 4 for the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Probably a bit of both. I assume other clubs are interested in a talent like Nelson. We’ve had quite a few scouts from big clubs at our youth games recently, for example Dortmund have been watching Braybrooke (they have scouts living in England who follow the youth leagues). 

Nelson’s agents can use this interest as leverage in future negotiations I guess.

One key issue to Nelson progressing here will be his lack of pace, which could leave him exposed in a high line. However, he is an intelligent player with decent positional awareness so it’s possible he could adapt.

Hopefully he goes out on loan. Definitely not one to throw into the first team squad right now, despite our frailties at the back.

He is not slow. 

1 hour ago, Horibbly Wrong said:

If he got into our first team he would be the first Ben we've ever had in the starting 11

We've had several:  Max Gradel, Sol Bamba, izzet, Soyuncu and Ben Marshall come to mind.   

Nigeria didn't qualify.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

Brendan doesn't appear that keen on him as had chance to get him involved but seemed to prefer Brunt at times this season. 

I would say Rodgers is very keen on him hence him training with the 1st team and appearing on the bench 8 times so far.

I’d guess the reason he goes for Brunt is because he is nearly 4yrs further down the line in his progress.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, themightyfin said:

He is not slow. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I must admit I'd never noticed a lack of pace with him but he didn't enjoy playing in a back 3, went off the boil when he was deployed as the RCB and then immediately looked commanding again when the U23's went back to a back 4 for the remainder of the season.

Fair enough, yeah he certainly looks more comfortable in a back four. I think he got exposed a few times in the back 3 which is why he looked a bit slow to me, but glad to hear this is not the case. 

Will be interesting to see how he develops. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

Fair enough, yeah he certainly looks more comfortable in a back four. I think he got exposed a few times in the back 3 which is why he looked a bit slow to me, but glad to hear this is not the case. 

Will be interesting to see how he develops. 

Yes, he does sound interesting doesn't he. Let's hope the obsession with a back 3 doesn't thwart the confidence of another centre half. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Brendan doesn't appear that keen on him as had chance to get him involved but seemed to prefer Brunt at times this season. 

Bugger off. The youth team threads are my safe house from the realities of the first team. Let me dream

• Like 1

Hopefully this article is a) to get a new deal and b) to peak the interest of Championship/League One clubs and he gets a season long loan move next season. He'll come back ready then to challenge for our 1st team.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hopefully this article is a) to get a new deal and b) to peak the interest of Championship/League One clubs and he gets a season long loan move next season. He'll come back ready then to challenge for our 1st team.

I thought this was a nudge towards getting a loan deal in place.

• Like 2

If both Cags and Vestergaard go this summer, would love us to spend the money on a quality rotational 3rd choice (Considering Evans longevity), then promote Ben as the 5th choice centre back.

Would leave us with Evans, Fofana, New signing, Amartey, Nelson.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I hope we haven't dropped a bollock not giving him any minutes last season.

I've been critical of Rodgers, but I think he is right with his decision not to play Nelson in a defence that was leaking goals. Either he'd have been a revelation, or he'd likely suffer a hit to his confidence as he became "part of the problem". In this instance I don't think there is a "race" if he's just signed pro terms. He just needs minutes with us, or out on loan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I hope we haven't dropped a bollock not giving him any minutes last season.

I hope we have screwed up on his contract….For all this sudden noise it makes you wonder.