Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Nelson

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10868309/Manchester-City-monitor-18-year-old-Leicester-centre-Ben-Nelson.html

Manchester City are monitoring highly-rated Leicester City centre-back Ben Nelson. 

The 18-year-old has been included in first team squads over the past year under Brendan Rodgers and is tipped to make a breakthrough this season. 

A tall and physical defender, Nelson, who has been capped previously by Scotland at international youth level, is due to travel with England U18s this week as they take on Wales, Austria and Croatia in Zagreb. 

Manchester City, like many of the Premier League's elite clubs, are looking to bolster their ranks with top homegrown talent in the wake of Brexit and new recruitment guidelines. 

Their scouts have noted Nelson's progress and are continuing to check his development as they consider a potential move. Nelson played in pre-season games last summer and has been a regular in the club's U23s on the back of being the academy player of the year in 20/21. 

Leicester are willing to offload Jannik Vestergaard this summer, as reported by Sportsmail, and that could open the first team window of opportunity for Nelson as he looks to compete with Jonny Evans, Wesley Fofana and Caglar Soyuncu. 

The young centre back is thought to be extremely highly rated within the game

Should Premier League champions City firm up their interest, the prospect of a pathway to Leicester's first team would likely prove a telling factor in any decision the teenager makes. City have been sending their younger players out on loan to sister clubs and others who share a similar philosophy to manager Pep Guardiola.

Taylor Harwood-Bellis, their 20-year-old centre-back for example, is a potential loan target for Burnley where Vincent Kompany is poised to become manager and Celtic. 

Harwood-Bellis has previously had spells at Anderlecht, Blackburn and Stoke. City are also understood to have looked at Everton's 19-year-old left-sided centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite. 

Does he support Leicester? Doesn’t he play for Scotland’s youth? Does he support a club north of the border? I’d hate to see us lose another successful, or at least likely successful, youth centre back to another club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Does he support Leicester? Doesn’t he play for Scotland’s youth? Does he support a club north of the border? I’d hate to see us lose another successful, or at least likely successful, youth centre back to another club.

Plays for England Under 18s

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Called up for England U18

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/players/?pid=549317&lid=13

He’s having it both ways. I wonder if he’sa Leicester fan or Celtic or whoever through a parent

Hasn't played for the Scotland youth for a while, been with England youth since at least November last year

It happens quite a lot with youth players switching between youth teams

He was also born in Northampton

Edited by moore_94

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

He used to represent Scotland youth teams but moved to England U17 and U18's over a year ago and has made a number of appearances.

Hopefully this is his agent trying to apply a bit of pressure to us to give him a chance.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

He used to represent Scotland youth teams but moved to England U17 and U18's over a year ago and has made a number of appearances.

Hopefully this is his agent trying to apply a bit of pressure to us to give him a chance.

Yeah would make sense, this could be a nudge to the club to show him a path to the first team, he’s gone off the radar slightly with Brunt emerging as the most likely youth CB to be with BR plans. 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Signed onto a pro deal in Feb so they can't poach him either

I think if they were truly interested in him they would've gone for him before that

Any idea how long he signed for?

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Aka a promotion :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is it interest, or just like all the other youth rumours, his agents going that instead of signing new CB replacements he should be utilised

Probably a bit of both. I assume other clubs are interested in a talent like Nelson. We’ve had quite a few scouts from big clubs at our youth games recently, for example Dortmund have been watching Braybrooke (they have scouts living in England who follow the youth leagues). 

Nelson’s agents can use this interest as leverage in future negotiations I guess.

One key issue to Nelson progressing here will be his lack of pace, which could leave him exposed in a high line. However, he is an intelligent player with decent positional awareness so it’s possible he could adapt.

Hopefully he goes out on loan. Definitely not one to throw into the first team squad right now, despite our frailties at the back.