Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Words youve pismonounced

Just now, spacemunky said:

What a coinkydink!

For me it's 'antibiotic' that I usually butcher lol I either say it as 'aunty-be-yaw-tic' or because someone made fun of how i said it, so i do a more drawn out and way too sharply pronounced 'ann-tie-by-aww-tick!'.

Mate my brain would hurt whenever I saw the word lol 

• Haha 1

How do people pronounce “tongue”? When growing up in Leicestershire I always pronounced it as “tong” the same as a pair of tongs, but when I moved to the south coast got laughed at as everyone else pronounced it “tung” as in the first half of “tungsten” differently from tongs. I keep telling them it’s an “o” not a “u” in the first syllable but they won’t listen.

Never knew if that was just me or it was a a Leicestershire thing.

Edited by Sampson

I used to weirdly struggle with variety. I would say varity.

I had a good one in Spain, I was practicing my Spanish and I didn't know the word for blister in Spanish so I asked my Spanish friends. They said ampolla, I slightly mis heard and said: "Mis pies estaban cubierto de pollas." 

Which means my feet were covered in dicks.

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

How do people pronounce “tongue”? When growing up in Leicestershire I always pronounced it as “tong” the same as a pair of tongs, but when I moved to the south coast got laughed at as everyone else pronounced it “tung” as in the first half of “tungsten” differently from tongs. I keep telling them it’s an “o” not a “u” in the first syllable but they won’t listen.

It's a Leicester/Midlands thing I get corrected a lot, even by my missus who is from Leicester.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FoxesAreBlue said:

I’ve been pronouncing “bald” in the same way as you’d say “bold” and got pellets for it recently.

I also can pronounce the name of a Nissan Qashqai - always end up stumbling over it and saying something like quash-koi, cash-cow, kumquat etc

How on earth is there another way to say bald or bold lollol 

They're the same pronunciation?!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

What a coinkydink!

For me it's 'antibiotic' that I usually butcher lol I either say it as 'aunty-be-yaw-tic' or because someone made fun of how i said it, so i do a more drawn out and way too sharply pronounced 'ann-tie-by-aww-tick!'.

That reminds me, how may people say ibufen when they mean ibuprofen :rolleyes:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

In year 9 science class.....

Wait for it....

Orgasm, meaning to say organism

My mum used to say that instead of organism... Led to a few interesting Sunday dinner table conversations when talking about the natural world. 😆

19 hours ago, Sampson said:

I've always pronounced it 'tong'. My other half is a geordie and he's always pronounced it 'tung' and rinsed me for saying it incorrectly (they're hardly ones to talk about speaking proper...).

Definitely a Leicester(shire) thing

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

That reminds me, how may people say ibufen when they mean ibuprofen :rolleyes:

The pronunciation of some of the medicines the people that I have attended have been "unusual": Parstomol being the stand-out.

One man once told us he had "epsilepsy".

Also been told a patient was "a diabetical"

One time we were called to a police station for a guy in the cells. My crewmate wrote down the location as "the custardy sweet" lol