Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
taupe

Do you know any liars?

9 minutes ago, taupe said:

Don't mind at all. He's 58. Frightening eh? It's gotten worse over the years too. He tells people he's had hip replacements, not true, with his wife sat beside him. She smiles meekly and apologetically, lord knows what it's like for her. I see him very rarely so don't have to deal with it.

Yes, I thought you were going to say he was much younger. 

5 hours ago, taupe said:

Or are you one yourself?

We all tell porkies. Embellish the truth or simply stretch it a tad. Sometimes our memories play tricks on us and we get things wrong. And then you get out-and-out liars. 

I ask because my brother is a liar of dumbfounding proportion. I listen to him and I know it's not the truth. Not believe, I know. I look at him in incredulity. I've no idea if he believes what he's saying, or he knows full well it's a pile of crap. He claims to have visited places he never has. Worked in places he never has. If I dare question, it ends up in argument and his tantrums so I let it go. I honestly believe he has a problem, he wouldn't know the truth if he fell over it.

And, no, this is not a politician thread!

Edit: nor the football managers/BR thread 

Does he also do this thing that I find with people who lie a lot...

Doesn't believe clearly true things, especially when you're saying you haven't done something wrong, because what they would do in that situation, is lie... therefore you will too, in their mind.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

I've known 3 types of liars in my time.

The first is the harmless enough oneupmanship liar, the guy who claimed to have pulled a supermodel type on the only night no-one happened to head out with him.

The second is the office game type liar, a much more scheming character.

The third is the delusion liar who genuinely believes every word of the shit they spout. Never know whether to feel sorry for the delusion liar or treat them like one and two above.

Guy I worked with always had his holiday in the UK and always claimed the weather was great where he was. Even if it had been a cloudy/wet week in the UK, he always reckoned it had been fine and sunny where he went.

One year I had the same week off as him and was just 10 miles further along the coast in Hunstanton. Cold wet  week it was but, as usual, Dave was lucky again. Lovely week, sunny and warm he said.

Tw4t.

• Haha 3

I work with someone who claimed he played for Liverpool in his younger days. If Liverpool were playing an evening game he would say 'so & so (name drop an ex Liverpool Player) was picking him up after work to take him up to Anfield!!! He said he lived in a massive house but he didn't. Very strange. 

Then, in another job a girl had split up from her partner and said that he had hired people to kill her. I walked with her to Tesco in lunch break and she said a bloke behind us was her bodyguard. A lad joined our team and she told me that she found out he was working for her ex and trying to kill her. She told me that the police were going to come in and arrest her. In the end our boss had a word with her about her being in 'possible danger' and then she left. Very strange

I used to play golf with a fella a few years ago who said he played for QPR reserves in the days of Stan Bowles etc. Then he became a player liaison officer at Man Utd and was Peter Scmicheals best man at his wedding apparently.

He's played pool with Giggs, Beckham etc. too.

Then he got caught cheating at golf and got booted out of the club.

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Mich-ol said:

I work with someone who claimed he played for Liverpool in his younger days. If Liverpool were playing an evening game he would say 'so & so (name drop an ex Liverpool Player) was picking him up after work to take him up to Anfield!!! He said he lived in a massive house but he didn't. Very strange. 

Then, in another job a girl had split up from her partner and said that he had hired people to kill her. I walked with her to Tesco in lunch break and she said a bloke behind us was her bodyguard. A lad joined our team and she told me that she found out he was working for her ex and trying to kill her. She told me that the police were going to come in and arrest her. In the end our boss had a word with her about her being in 'possible danger' and then she left. Very strange

That sounds like an illness. My brother suffers massively with a depressive illness. Has bouts of paranoia. He is bipolar. Dreadful really. 

On 07/11/2022 at 16:49, FoyleFox said:

I used to work with a lad who did exactly the same. Anywhere you mentioned, he'd been. And the list of his previous jobs was spectacular, from chef to pilot. Now I couldn't actually prove he was lying, but he was early 20's and working in a call centre, so we all strongly suspected he wasn't telling the truth....especially as he told different people different versions of events. I think he was just a supreme fantasist and trying to impress. Quite sad really, aside from that he seemed a nice lad.

I also worked in a call centre with a lad who was exactly like this. His best one was that his Dad was the walrus from the Beatles song. Just pure rubbish spouted day in day out 

I used to work with a guy who claimed he'd slept with Jet off gladiators, met after the show got talking and stayed in a hotel ''off the M1'' this was just complete nonsense and I concluded it was just a fantasy that he wanted to play out. Weird!!

43 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I used to work with a guy who claimed he'd slept with Jet off gladiators, met after the show got talking and stayed in a hotel ''off the M1'' this was just complete nonsense and I concluded it was just a fantasy that he wanted to play out. Weird!!

My ex wife was best mates with Lightning and often went out with her and Jet. She used to say that the number of blokes around them was a bloody nuisance so I suggested that they could come to ours to avoid the hassle and I promised to behave. 
Lightning came over a few times and nice girl she was too.

Or am I lying ?

58 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

He's not alone in wanting that one to play out tbf.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FLAN said:

I also worked in a call centre with a lad who was exactly like this. His best one was that his Dad was the walrus from the Beatles song. Just pure rubbish spouted day in day out 

I think you worked where I worked. I'd forgotten the walrus story, but that was one of my colleagues tales....

If someone asks me how old I think they look, I'll decide in my head then subtract 5 years and tell them that... 

I do think there are situations that warrant a lie like that but in general honesty is the best policy because the probability the lie coming back to bite is just too high. Like trying to cover up mistakes / errors in judgement in the work place. 

Making up completely exotic scenarios though? Yeah that's definitely low self esteem. Trying to impress people to raise the ego.

Several years ago, there was a guy who worked as a despatcher in our control room. He was a bit geeky, overweight, non-descript and age about 40 at the time.

He insisted he'd fought in the Iraq conflict as a special soldier and had been fired out of a submarine's torpedo tube behind enemy lines. 

I also had a casual friend who, when we had family get-togethers told us that he once had a sports car fitted with air rifles behind the headlights and he could pull a wire from inside the car and shoot out the lights of the car in front. (Only at night, mind).

He also claimed that the only reason airlines served food was to stop passengers' ears popping. I challenged this by asking if the pilots of high-altitude military aircraft got a reheated spagbol?

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I worked with a bloke, and everything was one-upmanship.   Everywhere you'd been, he'd been somewhere better.

I told him I'd been on holiday to Tenerife, and he said he'd been to Elevenerife.

That's a very old joke. One that I was about to post yesterday but thought better of it. :P

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1