Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands

It’s a 3am kick off over here, normally I’d be buzzing, wake up early and enjoy breakfast watching the opening game of the World Cup. 
Not his time, not only am I not yet excited for this World Cup, I can’t think of a worse game to open it up.

I know the host always kicks off the tournament, but Brazil v Serbia, Argentina v Saudi Arabia, France v Australia or Germany v Japan would all have been far better games to get a bit of excitement going.

14 hours ago, Koke said:

Qatar are pretty shit, understandly so as they have a tiny population. Ecuador is one of the most boring sides. Their last 8 games consist solely of 0-0s and 1-0s. 

I don't think population correlates to how good a national team is. For example, Uruguay has a small population, but have 2 World Cup titles and won Copa America 15 times. Other countries have a greater population than Uruguay, but have never been to the World Cup or won their respective continental title.

As someone who follows Asian football, I wouldn't underestimate Qatar by any means. They've won the Asian Cup in 2019, managed to draw Paraguay in the 2019 Copa America, and made it to the semi-finals of the 2021 Gold Cup. From a footballing perspective, Qatar are not as bad as they're being portrayed as in all honesty.

6 hours ago, Iran said:

I don't think population correlates to how good a national team is. For example, Uruguay has a small population, but have 2 World Cup titles and won Copa America 15 times. Other countries have a greater population than Uruguay, but have never been to the World Cup or won their respective continental title.

As someone who follows Asian football, I wouldn't underestimate Qatar by any means. They've won the Asian Cup in 2019, managed to draw Paraguay in the 2019 Copa America, and made it to the semi-finals of the 2021 Gold Cup. From a footballing perspective, Qatar are not as bad as they're being portrayed as in all honesty.

Their semifinal exploits a few years ago aside, Uruguay have been an ordinary side since the 50s. You just cannot compare achievements from those early years to today. 

• Like 1