Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Croatia Vs Brazil - Friday 9th December - 15:00

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Teams need to stop putting their best player on the fifth penalty for glory. I would much rather they took the first and set the tone.

I've always thought that after choosing your 5 takers you should be allowed to send them up in any order you wish. Why do they have to go up in a predetermined order?

13 minutes ago, Guest said:

This might be a thick question but is there anything stopping a team changing the order of their takers once the shootout's begun, like do they have to give the officials a list with the order on or something? Granted it wouldn't be ideal to be shuffling them around but surely if the idea behind leaving your supposed best taker until last is that they're the one best suited to taking the big pressure penalty, once it becomes apparent you need to score to stay in you'd want to bump him up the order.

I would also be interested to know this

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I've always thought that after choosing your 5 takers you should be allowed to send them up in any order you wish. Why do they have to go up in a predetermined order?

I actually had this thought during the shootout. I would imagine that it’s purely psychological.
If you were expecting to take fifth but you got called up to take a third, and ‘must score’ then it might be perceived to be more difficult?

I would imagine something like that is probably the reason. I am sure that sports analysts have undertook research in this as there is no variation - every team has a predetermined order.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

10 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Same old Brazil. Hyped to the heavens at every World Cup but ultimately fail to deliver. 

You've got to admire their consistency.

The lack of self-awareness is stunning. At least Brazil have won it five times.

Guest StevieLynex
24 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Same old Brazil. Hyped to the heavens at every World Cup but ultimately fail to deliver. 

You've got to admire their consistency.

Unlike us

26 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It's weird seeing as they have won it the most times, but they have actually disappointed for a good 20 years now!

Yeah it's almost as if pundits like to work with lazy, clichéd soundbites rather than actually give any nuanced thought to their analysis of teams.

They still talk as if we're watching prime 1970 or 1982 Brazil at every single tournament.

And Neymar is still one of the most overrated players ever IMHO. 

Game of the tournament so far for me. I thought Croatia were immense, really stepped up to the challenge and never stopped. Their keeper looked so cool, made some great saves and has to home for dinner soon. I had a feeling Croatia would win the shoot-out, they just seemed more 'no nonsense' than Brazil. 

I actually thought Brazil looked every bit their 'one of the favourites' tag; Croatia just believed and did a number in them.

3 minutes ago, surrifox said:

One shot on target ( but they got rid of richarlison and co so good on them )

They won the match, fair and square.

If we used shots on target as a tiebreaker you'd just see a litany of speculative shots straight at the keeper.

15 minutes ago, surrifox said:

One shot on target ( but they got rid of richarlison and co so good on them )

They were never going to outplay Brazil, why would they try? Their squad is limited but they play to its strengths, which I actually think creates a good game to watch. Most of us like an upset don’t we, they definitely give us a few of those, even if they are quite conservative in how they play.

They had 9 shots, them being on target doesn’t mean they didn’t attempt to score. They also didn’t just hammer shots at the goal, even when they had about 10 mins to find a goal.

They got the ball wide and put crosses in, that often didn’t lead to a shot, but they certainly had a go. Getting to penalties was their best chance of progressing.