Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

England - Always a bridesmaid, or overhyped?

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly my point. The table above tells us the real story. We’ve won one game (one) against so called ‘top opposition’. Yet the media today is full of bad luck stories.

It’s as if Gareth’s shortcomings can’t be looked at. I know WE can, but pundits etc will skirt around it.

Why is this? I suggest two main reasons: one, he’s a nice bloke and we don’t want to ‘offend him’ (aka snowflake) and two: because it’s not ‘the English way’. If we continue to support, applaud and ‘big up’, it’s felt that might result in a different outcome going forward.

Thats become one of the salient buzz words in contemporary Britain by the way.. ‘going forward’, along with ‘learning lessons’. Two phrases which conveniently overlook the importance of something that’s happened ‘now’ (it’ll be ok that we’ve fooked up because we’ll learn from it).

If Southgate wasn’t a popular public figure, the feeling of the nation today would be completely different. Different headlines would be written, he’d be slagged off to the hilt and there’d be more of a feeling of anger, than acceptance. Southgate is liked, generally, so he can be forgiven. And imagine if it was Maguire who missed the penalty! 

The fact remains, it’s failure and the UK seem to ooze if from every pore at the moment. Christ, even the ex PM had the shortest tenure of any modern day governmental leader. 
It’s a huge jump from all of this to losing another football match. But I think it’s all on the continuum of apathy, resignation and disinterest which seems to be highly pervasive at present. 
It wasn’t like this in 1996 by the way. Everything, including football felt very different.

Yeah imagine if Maguire had stepped up instead of Kane to take the pen…

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Kane didn't bottle it. He stepped up to take a penalty under massive pressure, that's the complete opposite of bottling it. Kane choosing not to take the penalty would have been bottling it.

He missed, it happens. He's not the first to miss in a massive game, I've seen great players miss pressure penalties.

"Bottle" is such an in word at the minute and it's a load of rubbish. People use it for any player that messes up now.

I get your point here but I would say Kane did bottle it. He missed the target. If he went the same way and Loris saved it then it is what it is. However as an absolute minimum and with no one scuffing the pen spot he should hit the target. That’s his job. Whilst I respect his achievement for England in terms of individual goals (which a lot are pens in no pressure situations) when it mattered he fluffed the chance. 

32 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

I feel that some criticism of Maguire has been harsh in the past, but this game has shown why he shouldn't be a regular for England. You simply don't let a player like Giroud have a free header. Then, when Pickford pulls off a wonder save, you then give Giroud another free go to score a goal. That's what knocked us out. The missed penalty merely stopped our chance of a decent comeback.

Based upon exactly what you’ve just written, which is exactly right btw, I don’t think the criticism of Maguire has been harsh enough personally.

He was every bit as culpable for us losing that game as Kane was 

24 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

He has a medal though - MBE 

Another example of the UK giving out medals like sweeties. 
Who’s that young gal who won the US open earlier this year (last year)?

One amazing tournament (and tbf it was awesome) and she’s now every fookin where in the media. Didn’t she get some award recently?

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

One amazing tournament (and tbf it was awesome) and she’s now every fookin where in the media. Didn’t she get some award recently?

Emma Raducanu 

Yes she got something off Chaz 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yeah it was better in the old days when we didn't give out awards because we won nothing

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

That’s the one. What with all the sponsorships etc I bet she’s financially made for life already. Where’s the motivation to improve!?

Christ I sound like an old git today! 😉

What that young girl achieved...winning the US open after qualifying and without dropping a set is arguably the greatest sporting achievement of all time.

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

O yes, that's a wonderful thing to tell your Grandkids all about 😂...

All those goals (mostly pens) against the minnows of International football.

Look at the other names to win it, I'm sure he'll be ashamed of it no doubt.

Jeremie Aliadiere won the league with Arsenal, weird you can't comprehend that you can be a good player and not actually win things.

• Like 1

England and particularly England fan's GREATEST problem is the media.

As a rule the english have no idea just how bad your media is, so many suckers who buy into and believe the crap they spout. Whether its how good your football team is or how bad your community is.

BOX FULL OF VARIOUS TYPES OF HAMMERS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Feels like people/media are overdoing it with praise to compensate for over criticising in the past.

We lost to a French team that were missing 6 players and barely got out of second gear , creating very little aside from the penalties we had

Heard this mentioned a lot so not just having a go at you but the players that were out injured probably would have replaced the 2 goalscorers.

11 hours ago, weller54 said:

What that young girl achieved...winning the US open after qualifying and without dropping a set is arguably the greatest sporting achievement of all time.

Yes it was mate. I think I said it was ‘awesome’.

But she’s done nothing since of note, has been put out as the pin up girl everywhere you look and has been awarded honours by the King.

I say again, it’s too much adulation, too soon. We English have become ridiculous with this. I’m  hearing tons of ex players this morning talking about the latest golden generation of English football and that it’s only a matter of time until we win a major tournament.

Which is exactly the same line that was trotted out for the previous ‘golden generation’.

It’s absolute bollox until we finally do win a major tournament. Knowing England, if that happens, Chaz will award them all with knighthoods and we’ll have a bank holiday.

Fingers crossed 👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Feels like people/media are overdoing it with praise to compensate for over criticising in the past.

We lost to a French team that were missing 6 players and barely got out of second gear , creating very little aside from the penalties we had

Another person ignoring the criticism he got for the Nations League and the US result/performance as well.

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yes it was mate. I think I said it was ‘awesome’.

But she’s done nothing since of note, has been put out as the pin up girl everywhere you look and has been awarded honours by the King.

I say again, it’s too much adulation, too soon. We English have become ridiculous with this. I’m  hearing tons of ex players this morning talking about the latest golden generation of English football and that it’s only a matter of time until we win a major tournament.

Which is exactly the same line that was trotted out for the previous ‘golden generation’.

It’s absolute bollox until we finally do win a major tournament. Knowing England, if that happens, Chaz will award them all with knighthoods and we’ll have a bank holiday.

Fingers crossed 👍

Missing that pen has probably cost Kane a Knighthood 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Some are still banging on about 1966 and that's over half a century ago.