Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

Just now, MattFox said:

Would have put us on a very similar level with Wolves years back.

Similar sized clubs in terms of trophies, demographic and city sizes etc

Nowadays we are miles behind them in terms of atmosphere even considering they aren’t as good as they once were

I would've said it helps having all their more vocal fans in one stand in rail seating.  But I honestly think if we had the same 99% would just stand in silence.

I used to push for safe standing thinking it would transform the atmosphere, I no longer believe that.  I think it should be introduced simply for choice.

As an ocasional visitor to the KP due to residing abroad I have noticed in some games the stadium being eerily quiet but I agree with many others the reaction reflects the team performance. I remember last November when chelsea came to town and we got tonked their fans were singing abuse at us and we had zero reaction back.

it was sad and felt defeated. I was angry at them wanted to give it back but our team showed no fight so I plumped back down into my seat. Anyway can the leaders of our official supporters group figure this out with the club?

3 hours ago, SystonFox said:

if "folk dont want to be there" then why do they go? This isn't a pop at the person who said this is a genuine question. 

Do people feel like because they own a season ticket they must go out of routine, expectation, normality etc? What is it?

Yeah, routine, normality, habit.

The fact I take someone with me, a dependent if you will.

I did have to knock it on the head half way through last season and stop going, I couldn't take anymore - It was genuinely getting me down. 

I did consider not renewing for a couple of seasons now and i'd love to have not, but it's the factor if I give it up i'm unlikely to get it back but I hope, pray we come through this godawful nonsense eventually and football (Not just Leicester, football) can be enjoyable again, it's got nothing to do with us being currently poor, i've seen us be rubbish for more of my time as a supporter than not but what I can't deal with is being bored and apathetic to it all, the club have me/us by the bollocks, plus as I say i'd be letting someone down.

I've missed a handful of games this season but have generally gone.

It's my hobby or was (I'm questioning it), it's hard when your hobby, interest, passion becomes a chore.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah, routine, normality, habit.

The fact I take someone with me, a dependent if you will.

I did have to knock it on the head half way through last season and stop going, I couldn't take anymore - It was genuinely getting me down. 

I did consider not renewing for a couple of seasons now and i'd love to have not, but it's the factor if I give it up i'm unlikely to get it back but I hope, pray we come through this godawful nonsense eventually and football (Not just Leicester, football) can be enjoyable again, it's got nothing to do with us being currently poor, i've seen us be rubbish for more of my time as a supporter than not but what I can't deal with is being bored and apathetic to it all, the club have me/us by the bollocks, plus as I say i'd be letting someone down.

I've missed a handful of games this season but have generally gone.

It's my hobby or was (I'm questioning it), it's hard when your hobby, interest, passion becomes a chore.

all good points. 

i had a season ticket in the levein, kelly, adams, holloway etc era. Gave it up in 2009. Wish i never did, obviously. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Would i still be going, had i been able to afford it, if we were losing last minute goals to Preston, Ipswich and QPR regularly at home? Doubtful.

Would my boy be as interested as he is if we were a mid table champo team like we were mid noughties.... doubtful. In the days of social media, youtube, Messi, Mbappe and Neymar. We are blessed to have what we have at LCFC. the club should be doing all they can to keep them on for years to come. Is friendly honesty flags the way to do this? free donuts/beers/tifos? who knows.

Which club in England *is* doing it right then in everyones opinion? in terms of creating an atmosphere etc

6 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

all good points. 

i had a season ticket in the levein, kelly, adams, holloway etc era. Gave it up in 2009. Wish i never did, obviously. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Would i still be going, had i been able to afford it, if we were losing last minute goals to Preston, Ipswich and QPR regularly at home? Doubtful.

Would my boy be as interested as he is if we were a mid table champo team like we were mid noughties.... doubtful. In the days of social media, youtube, Messi, Mbappe and Neymar. We are blessed to have what we have at LCFC. the club should be doing all they can to keep them on for years to come. Is friendly honesty flags the way to do this? free donuts/beers/tifos? who knows.

Which club in England *is* doing it right then in everyones opinion? in terms of creating an atmosphere etc

Leeds

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think we're seeing the effects of years of manufactured atmosphere via clappers and the club alienating people in the 18-40 age bracket. Even if they try and fix these issues they aren't going to make us a fierce fanbase overnight.

Those things don't help, But it wasn't much cop before all that stuff.  I just don't think we have ever had a particularly 'fierce' fanbase

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Those things don't help, But it wasn't much cop before all that stuff.  I just don't think we have ever had a particularly 'fierce' fanbase

We haven't really since I've followed but you hear anecdotes from older fans, I don't know if it's just nostalgia clouding their judgement. It's 100% gotten worse though make no mistake.

22 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think we're seeing the effects of years of manufactured atmosphere via clappers and the club alienating people in the 18-40 age bracket. Even if they try and fix these issues they aren't going to make us a fierce fanbase overnight.

I was on the fcc for a while.  Susan seemed to understand how engaging kids was key to the future... but the shop keepers were keen to charge £50 for a kids shirt with vardy on it 

Edited by foxinsocks

22 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

This is the flattest I've seen the ground. Even in the past there would have been more dissenting voices.

The club want this, make no mistake.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We haven't really since I've followed but you hear anecdotes from older fans, I don't know if it's just nostalgia clouding their judgement. It's 100% gotten worse though make no mistake.

There's a lot of nostalgia, certainly. And inevitably. Everyone looks back to when they were young. But I'm afraid football's just changed. Certainly at this level, it simply isn't what it was. The people that grew up with proper singing are getting old now (I know, I'm one), and the younger fans have grown up in the era of football being primarily designed as a TV entertainment package, and I don't think you're ever going to get enough of a critical mass of them to care enough about singing.

I fear that it might just be a case of old men moaning that the world has changed. Maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

There's a lot of nostalgia, certainly. And inevitably. Everyone looks back to when they were young. But I'm afraid football's just changed. Certainly at this level, it simply isn't what it was. The people that grew up with proper singing are getting old now (I know, I'm one), and the younger fans have grown up in the era of football being primarily designed as a TV entertainment package, and I don't think you're ever going to get enough of a critical mass of them to care enough about singing.

I fear that it might just be a case of old men moaning that the world has changed. Maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

Definitely nostalgia and also a bit of the grass always being greener.

I've regularly watched live football this year at lots of different grounds and football is now basically a sanitised sport. 

Even the non-league stuff which people wax lyrical about is generally pretty terrible. I've been to Gills quite a few times and their atmosphere there is absolutely appalling; worst I've ever experienced. Maidstone United is just as bad; pretty much dependent on the 20-600 travelling fans (it genuinely does vary that much) to generate any atmosphere.

Don't get me started on Anfield's famous Spion Kop!

3 minutes ago, old koppite said:

For those of you who think it’s all nostalgia  , and we’ve never been loud , have at look at the YouTube clip of our away semi final league cup  tie against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park under MON. 

Most likely the bloke who came up to UFS at half time on Monday to shout ‘shut the **** up would ya’ was there himself.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, old koppite said:

For those of you who think it’s all nostalgia  , and we’ve never been loud , have at look at the YouTube clip of our away semi final league cup  tie against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park under MON. 

Yes, and there are games like that now. But also I've been many times, years ago, and Filbo was absolutely dead. People forget we used to struggle to fill Filbo!

• Like 1

The mid 80s post heysal were very strange, recall we could get 7000 for bog standard top flight games but still get 25000 for games vs Liverpool and Man Utd. As bad as the atmosphere might be now at least we don’t lose 18,000 based on who we are playing in the league! Obviously different times but all the same 

Edited by whetstonefox

9 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Most likely the bloke who came up to UFS at half time on Monday to shout ‘shut the **** up would ya’ was there himself.

I don’t quite get the connection , but what a prat to do that ! I hope you and/ or the UFS lads gave him something back!

I’m glad you’re making the effort- don’t get put off. 

11 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yes, and there are games like that now. But also I've been many times, years ago, and Filbo was absolutely dead. People forget we used to struggle to fill Filbo!

Me too at Filbo - Gordon Milne, David Pleat etc. 

I didn’t manage to see many live games under MON , but those  I did we had great support when he created the team to wind up the big boys and the critics. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

This is the flattest I've seen the ground. Even in the past there would have been more dissenting voices.

The club want this, make no mistake.

This exactly.

I'll agree with those saying we've never had a fierce fanbase but we'd always make our voices heard.

We're not even groaning when something doesn't come off - Perhaps not necessarily a bad thing but it shows where we are.

Currently it's total apathy.

Silence and just a feeling of meh.

Ultimately a mix of a sanitised, americanised 'manufactured family matchday experience' and a 'brand' of football that is very bland, meh and boring that no-one can get behind has killed any kind of atmosphere we had. As I mention earlier we can deal with being shit - barring any youngsters or people who have jumped on the bandwagon the majority of us have seen us be shit more than good, what I (we?) can't deal with is being bored out of our fucking minds.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, old koppite said:

have at look at the YouTube clip of our away semi final league cup  tie against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park under MON. 

That was something very special. Even by the standards back then. I've no idea why but everything came together that evening. We knew we were going through. After the home leg, we just knew it. It came from the crowd, from the pitch. Everywhere. 

I went with a Man City supporting friend and he was mightily impressed. I downplayed it, saying we were always like that. Truth is that it was out of the ordinary.