Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

The Club killed atmosphere years ago, you need singers all together, preferably next to away fans, you can’t compete otherwise it’s a Library, away fans can’t here the so called Kop(more like a dentists waiting room). It sort of worked for one game when UFs were in I think P family stand end. Still it’s never going to change, Susan Whelan and her cronies have killed it along with Brendon’s boring  possession game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glen parva fox said:

The Club killed atmosphere years ago, you need singers all together, preferably next to away fans, you can’t compete otherwise it’s a Library, away fans can’t here the so called Kop(more like a dentists waiting room). It sort of worked for one game when UFs were in I think P family stand end. Still it’s never going to change, Susan Whelan and her cronies have killed it along with Brendon’s boring  possession game.

I don’t believe you do need the singers next to the away fans, but that’s just my opinion. Look at the other grounds and think where the away fans are located compared to the atmosphere.. Villa park opposite end to the holte end, Chelsea complete opposite ends of the ground, old Trafford has the away in the south east corner opposite the Stretford end, Liverpool and the kop end and all the rest which I haven’t named. There must be a difference between club atmosphere and an atmosphere where your selecting out individuals, mocking their looks, gesturing cut knife throat and offering to meet them outside which has happened at many grounds.. the away fans could hear the kop if everyone had a little sing song instead of a section a quarter size of the actual singing section. 

Edited by MS0204
  • Like 4

Nostalgia tinted memories should always always be factored in but the atmosphere on Boxing Day was non-existent compared to previous years.  This was my first home game for a while (lived out of the country for 15 years so only attended the odd home or away game since ‘06) and couldn’t believe how flat it was. As a season ticket holder at Filbo 92-02 I can say with some certainty that we always got something going and matched the away following at the least. Agreed that it wasn’t always rocking but there would be vocal support that could be heard from one side of the ground to the other (the Kop was going well in advance we had unreserved seating when the terracing was replaced). Perhaps the Newcastle game was just a bad day all around, but I would like to think we can properly sort this out. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SystonFox said:

all good points. 

i had a season ticket in the levein, kelly, adams, holloway etc era. Gave it up in 2009. Wish i never did, obviously. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Would i still be going, had i been able to afford it, if we were losing last minute goals to Preston, Ipswich and QPR regularly at home? Doubtful.

Would my boy be as interested as he is if we were a mid table champo team like we were mid noughties.... doubtful. In the days of social media, youtube, Messi, Mbappe and Neymar. We are blessed to have what we have at LCFC. the club should be doing all they can to keep them on for years to come. Is friendly honesty flags the way to do this? free donuts/beers/tifos? who knows.

Which club in England *is* doing it right then in everyones opinion? in terms of creating an atmosphere etc

Wolves are a good example. We might be at a disadvantage because we’re at a “new” stadium, but we’ve been here for 20 years now. There should be an established Kop/atmospheric area already. 

A lot of what goes on, on a matchday clearly doesn’t help but I think it’s too easy to simply blame the club at this point. Our away support is also pathetic and there’s no goal music or fan cams to blame there.

Coventry’s home support is dogshit but they have a solid, established section of the ground that make a noise near the away fans and their away support is excellent. We can laugh at their small attendances, but I can guarantee that they make more of a noise than we do. Look at the state they’re in, compared to us. 

We have to want it collectively, and as a fanbase we’re just too apathetic. A post mentions how good we were during the title winning season. I should bloody hope so. 

It probably coincides with our most successful period attracting new fans that think the best way of supporting the club is running a football twitter account, banging a clapper, waving a club-supplied flag and doing a shitty vlog instead of the traditional making noise on a terrace. 

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chicago Foxile said:

Nostalgia tinted memories should always always be factored in but the atmosphere on Boxing Day was non-existent compared to previous years.  This was my first home game for a while (lived out of the country for 15 years so only attended the odd home or away game since ‘06) and couldn’t believe how flat it was. As a season ticket holder at Filbo 92-02 I can say with some certainty that we always got something going and matched the away following at the least. Agreed that it wasn’t always rocking but there would be vocal support that could be heard from one side of the ground to the other (the Kop was going well in advance we had unreserved seating when the terracing was replaced). Perhaps the Newcastle game was just a bad day all around, but I would like to think we can properly sort this out. 

It'll be sorted out when the players sort it out. 2 goals down after 6 minutes does not instill a great deal of enthusiasm.

22 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Wolves are a good example. We might be at a disadvantage because we’re at a “new” stadium, but we’ve been here for 20 years now. There should be an established Kop/atmospheric area already. 

A lot of what goes on, on a matchday clearly doesn’t help but I think it’s too easy to simply blame the club at this point. Our away support is also pathetic and there’s no goal music or fan cams to blame there.

Coventry’s home support is dogshit but they have a solid, established section of the ground that make a noise near the away fans and their away support is excellent. We can laugh at their small attendances, but I can guarantee that they make more of a noise than we do. Look at the state they’re in, compared to us. 

We have to want it collectively, and as a fanbase we’re just too apathetic. A post mentions how good we were during the title winning season. I should bloody hope so

It probably coincides with our most successful period attracting new fans that think the best way of supporting the club is running a football twitter account, banging a clapper, waving a club-supplied flag and doing a shitty vlog instead of the traditional making noise on a terrace. 

Even in the title winning season, not saying there weren’t decent ends but if I imagine another club our size in that position there would’ve been far more memorable away ends for what we did. 

• Like 2

Just now, Freeman's Wharfer said:

There’s just a lot less of a connection with the club than there has been in recent years.

The matchday experience is sanitised, the players we had a real connection with have left and we’ve also gone through two consecutive managers that the fans have little to no affinity for.

Who are the players the fans really connect with now? Albrighton and Vardy of course. Dewsbury-Hall because he’s local and shows a bit of passion. The rest? Not much there.

How often do you hear a chant for Rodgers compared to what you would have heard for Pearson or Ranieri across a 90 minutes? I never heard Leicester fans chant for a manager so little as Puel. Rodgers has severed so many ties that many of us will never sing his name again.

I actually went to England vs Iran in Qatar and it was like being at the theatre. Barely any proper England fans there (no matter how it might have looked on tv with the locals wearing flags and shirts) and FIFA sanitised nonsense like fan cams and cheering contests. You then see articles about the nice atmosphere because everyone felt ‘safe’ and there was no alcohol…

Genuinely, I fear that top level football is past saving now. It’s heading so hard and fast towards the kind of thing I saw in Qatar and I’m certain droves will turn to non-league in the next 20 years.

I think I said in a match thread for the World Cup, that every team in the premier league will have some sort of Phoenix Club in thirty years time. Not because the club has necessarily gone bust, but the identity and routine of following their team has disappeared.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Society has changed a lot in the past 20 years or so too. We as a group of a 20 or 30 when we were 18-20 used to go for a few pints, get the train and get that football buzz for the whole afternoon. Watch the early game a few bets a  3 o'clock kick off and then late game and into Leicester afterwards. 

We definitely weren't the only group that did this and that's what big pockets  of the ground was made up of... 

Hate to say it but top flight football has killed it. Too expensive, too many stupid anti social kick off times and just no drive for young lads to to go out drinking and basically living for football. 

You look at the groups getting off the buses from Newcastle on boxing day majority 18-40 year olds. Not like the coaches that will drop off outside anfield tomorrow, the complete opposite. 

We aren't attracting new fans, our fan base (home and away) I bet on average are the oldest in the league. 

The club is trying but couldn't be getting it more wrong. They need to trust the UFS and if it upsets the old folk or the people who just go like they go to the cinema if it gets them to move out of the kop then great. Rail seating the whole kop is what they should be doing. 

It will never happen though as deep down the club don't want that to happen.

Rail seating the whole kop would be a massive step. Don’t think the club have the bottle whatsoever as majority of our fans like you said are not of that demographic to want that 

4 hours ago, MS0204 said:

I don’t believe you do need the singers next to the away fans, but that’s just my opinion. Look at the other grounds and think where the away fans are located compared to the atmosphere.. Villa park opposite end to the holte end, Chelsea complete opposite ends of the ground, old Trafford has the away in the south east corner opposite the Stretford end, Liverpool and the kop end and all the rest which I haven’t named. There must be a difference between club atmosphere and an atmosphere where your selecting out individuals, mocking their looks, gesturing cut knife throat and offering to meet them outside which has happened at many grounds.. the away fans could hear the kop if everyone had a little sing song instead of a section a quarter size of the actual singing section. 

Sing a decent song and fans will join in. We love you etc (songs that are deemed naff) had the whole ground singing and everyone swinging scarfs, james Maddison plays?, etc, (current songs) no one gives a fvck, hardly anyone in even the “singing section” joins in, apart from George of the jungle, another thing, most clubs have one or two songs that give fans a chance to catch on to, we seem to get through 20-30 songs on the first 15 minutes and by that time it’s just a banging blur and everyone’s nodding off.

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Sing a decent song and fans will join in. We love you etc (songs that are deemed naff) had the whole ground singing and everyone swinging scarfs, james Maddison plays?, etc, (current songs) no one gives a fvck, hardly anyone in even the “singing section” joins in, apart from George of the jungle, another thing, most clubs have one or two songs that give fans a chance to catch on to, we seem to get through 20-30 songs on the first 15 minutes and by that time it’s just a banging blur and everyone’s nodding off.

I'm a big fan of the singing section but that 'On a Saturday, Leicester's the team for me' song is pure dirge and needs to be binned ASAP 

I gonna be honest here and probably upset a few. The club have homogenised the atmosphere. The club have made various decisions which are aiming at an audience which is more akin to the World Cup recent countdowns. The football authorities have altered kick off times to the most unfriendly scheduling (throw in the lengths it takes to get games at the moment plus the general coppers/stewards approach which has got way OTT ever since that Euro final at Wembley). 

But there is only one set of people who can change it. And that’s us as a fanbase. We can all moan about ‘I don’t like that song’ or ‘I don’t think we should do this’ but that’s all irrelevant if you don’t actually start a song or assist with the atmosphere yourself. I’m a hypocrite as much as the rest of us. We can all use excuses. 

To add as well, I think a lot have had that mindset but the various factors have slowly worked them down to giving up. But if we just keep giving up, it will end up becoming even more soulless 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Raj said:

Atmosphere reflects what's the action on the pitch.

It doesnt take much sometimes,  just a great tackle, a chance, but on Boxing day we had NOTHING  to cheer about.

Yeah, there was more excitement on the pitch prematch than there was watching that rubbish, we can often be bad under Brendan but you get patches of play, on that day, nothing, nada, zip bar the clumsy collisions between our players that happened more than once, almost like they have never played together before.

• Like 1

Sums our fans up really when many just blame the club and what’s going on on the pitch.

Our fans are just a bit shit as a collective. Bar a couple of seasons that coincided with a miracle (and the much derided clappers) it’s been this way ever since I’ve been going. I went to Leeds the other day cos my mate’s dad couldn’t go so I got his ticket - don’t think I can ever remember us being 2 and then 3-0 and the atmosphere being like that unprompted.

Admittedly any set of fans would struggle to create too much noise with the performance on Boxing Day but longer term the excuses made are pathetic. We’re just a bunch of miserable whingebags as shown whenever I have the misfortune to read this forum these days. We’re an Everton tribute act these days.

I agree the club needs to attract new younger fans but that’s why the stadium is being expanded. Younger fans are priced out by expensive season tickets and it’s very hard to attend occasional games when the ground is full most of the time. There are also more women and young children than 30 year’s ago, which is good by the way, but proportionately far fewer young men.

Artificial attempts to recreate a so called old fashioned atmosphere (largely a myth propagated, ironically, by older fans yearning for their youth) are doomed unless  there are more younger fans are in the crowd and that will only happen if there are affordable and available tickets for them to buy.

Edited by Mr Weller 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

I agree the club needs to attract new younger fans but that’s why the stadium is being expanded. Younger fans are priced out by expensive season tickets and it’s very hard to attend occasional games when the ground is full most of the time. There are also more women and young children than 30 year’s ago, which is good by the way, but proportionately far fewer young men.

Artificial attempts to recreate a so called old fashioned atmosphere (largely a myth propagated, ironically, by older fans yearning for their youth) are doomed unless  there are more younger fans are in the crowd and that will only happen if there are affordable and available tickets for them to buy.

I fear that the new extension will be the highest priced season tickets we’ve ever seen at LCFC. The amount of corporate facilities being provided in the plans it suggest this.  

My gut is that then people don’t move their season tickets because of this and the only available seats week in, week out are the most expensive. 

In my view if they wanted to attracted younger fans, they’d maintain the ST prices in the new stand at a similar price to the existing sideline stands and introduce rail seating within the Kop (which I’m beginning to get surprised they aren’t keeping up with the big 6 on). 

This is all my gut as opposed to any fact mind. 

I will say I avoided our game the other day to attend my non league, as it was a local ish rivalry. Over 700 through the gate and a mix of people, opposition fans mingling.

'is this a library" was sang twice, in a game that was 3-2 and ran well over 6 mins added time.

So don't think it's just the City fans like this. I think, nationally, people are just a bit worn down.