Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

7 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

We're gonna do a Spurs then? :P 

You know, for some people, Rodgers reign of tyranny will be defined by the FA cup win. For me nothing sums it up more than the 19th January 2022 when we managed to out-Spursy Spurs, against Spurs! 

As for this season, my comment was of course tongue in cheek. I do think 2% is a bit low purely based on the fact there are 4 very strong teams in this still but it’s clearly based on a lot of data whereas I’m probably worrying! Under Rodgers, I’d expect us to fail where we are only given a 2% chance to do so. There’s enough in this squad and manager to not do that but I do think it could get a bit tighter before it’s done!

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

1634499890382.png

Well, to be less succinct , 

I think we can all see the gulf in class between the prem and the championship. It’s difficult to get  a grip for some teams when going up and the parachute pavements sure give you a good chance of being in the mix end of the season.

is that better? :innocent:

56 minutes ago, MPH said:

Well, to be less succinct , 

I think we can all see the gulf in class between the prem and the championship. It’s difficult to get  a grip for some teams when going up and the parachute pavements sure give you a good chance of being in the mix end of the season.

is that better? :innocent:

I was just commenting about the state of my average thread contributions 

15 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

can someone sumarise the QPR / Rudkin chat above pls? my work laptop wont allow the link to be clicked. and i'm super busy of a friday afternoon

Rudkin: “Illia’s, look fella, I really like how you play but I’m not sure how committed you would be to Leicester City; As part of our recruitment strategy we want to ensure we have committed individuals to this club… so with that in mind, to prove your commitment I’d like you to go and find a gentlemen named Sean, he’s from Enderby and drives a truck.. can you politely speak to him and make him stop announcing the team sheets before they become official.. cus, ya know, he’s kind out acting out of order”

Chair “yes boss, you have my word”

*This may not be 100% accurate

Edited by Fox seen in Norwich

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-distorted-championship-leeds-leicester-2922899?ITO=newsnow

OPINION
By Daniel Storey
Chief Football Writer

The Premier League has distorted the Championship – look at Leeds and Leicester
The promoted clubs go straight back down and the relegated clubs go up again - this is not a good system for anyone, but other Championship clubs are suffering the most
February 23, 2024 1:02 pm(Updated 1:03 pm)

On 10 February, Southampton trailed 2-0 at half-time in their Championship home fixture against Huddersfield Town and Russell Martin knew that he needed to change something, ideally several things.

Martin had already brought on Joe Rothwell after 33 minutes, and continued in the same vein thereafter: David Brooks, Samuel Edozie, Kamaldeen Sulemana, Sekou Mara. Those players provided four goals and three assists and Southampton won the game 5-3.

Brooks and Rothwell were January loan signings from Premier League Bournemouth. Their wages will be considerable. The other three were signed for combined transfer fees of around £35m last season. And these were Southampton’s Plan B players in the second tier. Huddersfield’s five substitutes: three academy graduates and two players signed for less than a million pounds combined. This wasn’t a Championship fixture; it was two in one.

This has been a season like no other in which to assess the financial disparity between English football’s mini-tiers. The Premier League’s bottom three are, currently, the three promoted clubs, potentially the first time since 1998 that all three immediately go back down.

One saving grace may be the points deduction handed down to Everton – and another could follow for Nottingham Forest – two clubs who overreached in the vain hope of matching the financial elite.

In the Championship, three of the top four are the relegated clubs. Leicester have found life supremely easy after relegation and hold a nine-point lead with 13 games left.

Leeds and Southampton both wobbled at the season’s start under new managers, but have enjoyed extended unbeaten runs. For the first time ever, it may well be the same three coming down and the same three going up.

There are theories, reasons to explain this away as a freak. Sheffield United came up with ownership uncertainty. Burnley had a dogmatic tactical philosophy that got found out. Leicester’s team was never a relegation candidate on paper.

Southampton and Leeds paid the price for a series of bad decisions and the Championship permitted a period of spring cleaning and introspection. Ipswich have been a glorious exception and may yet crash the parachute payment party. We should wish them well, as an antidote to the status quo if nothing else.

Now take several steps backward to take in the full panorama. Effective competition in the Premier League and Championship is struggling to exist as a concept.

Promoted clubs (who have been in the EFL for the previous two years) are permitted to record three-year losses of £61m, £44m lower than existing Premier League clubs, despite missing out on the same broadcasting riches. They begin the race from behind the start line. Increasingly, some are choosing to bank the money rather than gambling on survival in a league weighted against them and you can’t blame them.

In the Championship, the imbalance is just as stark. More than the depth of first-team squads and transfer activity, it is wage bills that accurately predict performance. Football finance site Capology estimates that Leicester’s wage bill for this season is around £60m with Southampton and Leeds around £40m.

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 17: Josh Brownhill of Burnley looks dejected after his team concede during the Premier League match between Burnley FC and Arsenal FC at Turf Moor on February 17, 2024 in Burnley, England. (Photo by Harriet Lander/Copa/Getty Images)
The Premier League’s three promoted clubs could go straight back down (Photo: Getty)
Not only are they the top three in the division by a distance, those estimates would make Leicester’s wage bill at least four times higher than 17 other clubs in the division. Parachute payments were intended to create a soft landing. They’re now acting like a trampoline.

How do other clubs cope? They mostly don’t. We can cherish the honourable exceptions, the Luton Town of last year and the Ipswich Town of this, but they are increasingly rare. Between 2010 and 2019, eight clubs bounced back to the Premier League within two years. Since the new TV began in 2019-20, six clubs have already done exactly that and six may become nine before the end of May.

Were this simply a case of replacement, the only issue would be the erosion of competition: the same select clubs, relying upon parachute payments, go up and the same clubs eventually return from whence they came; rinse and repeat. But it’s the by-product of that cycle that is most damaging: wanton desperation.

In the Premier League, clubs feel the heat and so invest heavily to try and avoid relegation back to the financial apocalypse.

Nottingham Forest have bought 40-odd players since promotion, Bournemouth spent £120m last summer, Burnley have signed 19 players since promotion at a cost of over £100m and Farhad Moshiri spent £400m trying to shift Everton away from their mediocrity. What’s the alternative, accept your fate and succumb?

In the Championship, desperation culture rules all. Parachute payments allow those relegated to retain deep squads and the rest of the division urges to keep up with the Joneses.

For the last five years in a row, Championship clubs have spent more on wages alone than they make in revenue. Not only are they pitted against the parachute payment tide, they’re actually trying to fight it because to avoid doing so is to be accused of a lack of ambition. Every now and then one comes close to popping. West Brom have just got new owners and just as well too.

The same three clubs going up and the same three clubs going down, if it happens, would be a line in the sand. We need greater redistribution of wealth. We need effective competition to be enforced. We need clubs at the lower end of the Championship to believe that the Premier League is a dream that doesn’t rely upon risking the club’s entire future. 

• Like 1