Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

There aren’t many teams in this league with nothing to play for 

nearly all games are difficult for that reason 

as we approach the last half dozen games, there will be a group of teams ‘on the beach’ 

I think Southampton and us will have the easier last half dozen games in that regard but not by much 

36 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Hull are a surprise. 

I think we will lose to Leeds, Hull and West Brom, which will then pave the way for Leeds to eventually overtake us. 

I just don’t feel comfortable about us, and it sound insane considering our current position, but I just have this feeling we will drop off over the next few games and will end up scrapping for second. I hope I’m wrong, I really do but I can’t see us having the fight in us if it comes down to a slog. 

Southampton losing was huge, because if we beat them then that could mean they’re confined to the playoffs. 

Have the 33 games so far not been a slog? Have we not already shown fight and consistent high standards to get to and maintain where we are? 

Winning 13 out of the opening 14 games. Winning from behind vs Coventry on the opening day. Last minute winner vs Cardiff. Battering Southampton 4-1 at their place. 2-0 away at an in-form Norwich. Ground out 1-0 at home vs Bristol. 4-1 away at Blackburn with them in decent nick at the time. 3-0 vs Preston when they were top half had a few scalps already and turned up with the most negative bus parking I've seen. 3-1 away win vs Swansea who were playing good stuff at the time. Late winner with a worldie from Winks vs QPR, after their late equaliser. 

Responding to the double loss vs Leeds and Middlesbrough with 10 games unbeaten, including 8 wins - including grinding out the 2-0 vs Watford, last minute winner vs West Brom, two tight 3-2s vs Millwall and Birmingham, 1-1 away to Ipswich

Etc etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Anyone read this about beale?

yeah its mad, my best mate is a Sunderland fan and he reckons there is loads going on behind the scenes which is a bit dodgy. Rumours the board want Alex Neill back but are worried about fan backlash! 

59 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Hull are a surprise. 

I think we will lose to Leeds, Hull and West Brom, which will then pave the way for Leeds to eventually overtake us. 

I just don’t feel comfortable about us, and it sound insane considering our current position, but I just have this feeling we will drop off over the next few games and will end up scrapping for second. I hope I’m wrong, I really do but I can’t see us having the fight in us if it comes down to a slog. 

Southampton losing was huge, because if we beat them then that could mean they’re confined to the playoffs. 

Leeds will not overtake us.

We will finish 1st by somewhere between 6-12 points. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I honestly don't know where this stuff about us not having any fight is coming from. I really don't. There have been plenty of games this season where we've had to scrap our way to a win despite not playing well. We did it just recently at Watford. The reason we've won more games than anybody else is because we win in different ways - sometimes by completely outplaying the opposition, sometimes by battling harder than them. We do both.

We're not going to win every game and even in the games we've lost we've been in it until the end. We were fighting desperately on Saturday and could easily have got a point or three with better finishing. Where has this perception that we can't fight come from?

I think it stems from when Rodgers was in charge and we blew two chances of being in the Champions League and then eventually got relegated.

I think Enzo will not allow us to fall into that rot that Rodgers could never get us out of.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Now that's some proper David Brent behaviour, take note Gucci belt

I'm not sure it is necessarily. It looks very stupid, but I seriously doubt Beale is the one looking after that Twitter account. It's his business, so likely a family member or friend. Still very, very stupid, but it's not like he's the one commenting and retweeting.

Edited by CloudFox

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

You're probably right that it stems from the Rodgers era. But we have a different manager now and a largely different team. At no point this season has the team showed the kind of mental fragility and tactical confusion that it showed under Rodgers. I understand that the scars run deep, but people seriously need to let go of the Rodgers era...

largely the players get the blame though not Rodgers and because a few are still here from then it runs on I agree people need to let it go and back the team 100%

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

I honestly don't know where this stuff about us not having any fight is coming from. I really don't. There have been plenty of games this season where we've had to scrap our way to a win despite not playing well. We did it just recently at Watford. The reason we've won more games than anybody else is because we win in different ways - sometimes by completely outplaying the opposition, sometimes by battling harder than them. We do both.

We're not going to win every game and even in the games we've lost we've been in it until the end. We were fighting desperately on Saturday and could easily have got a point or three with better finishing. Where has this perception that we can't fight come from?

It’s called negativebastarditis. Virulent in parts of our fanbase. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

:brendan_still:image.png.255b70ed7276eb098c0a56aabd359a5d.png

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, TheGoldenGod said:

Does anybody else get hung up on the fact Burnley only lost 3 games last season and we're currently on 5 and will probably end up on 6/7? I know it probably doesn't mean a great deal in terms of translation to the PL as they've been woeful but....THREE games?!?! Pretty mad that!

For me, Enzo Maresca is a much better manager than Vincent Kompany !!   I  fully expect to struggle the first season back but I think we have a good core of players & hopefully with Enzo's help we can make some quality additions.

• Like 1

I see a lot of negativity around the Leeds game and not a single person pointing out that i’f we win, that’s essentially the whole thing wrapped up. 

There’s no way anyone would even see us as a rival after that. Hoping we bring our A game and give them a bit of a stuffing! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

There’s no way anyone would even see us as a rival after that.

The Comms on Southampton feed last night never mentioned us once in the context of chasing. The only mention we got was Hull being the best team they'd seen except for us and maybe west Brom. 

It was all about game in hand on / points behind or ahead of  Leeds etc