Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Mobile phones

My trusty Galaxy S10e is giving up the ghost and I probably need to replace it soon. I'd prefer an android handset, but don't need a new contract. 

The choice is huge, and I do not need an expensive all singing, all dancing replacement, just a good value phone, preferably 5G capable. 

Any insight and expertise any of you have would be greatly appreciated. 

30 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

My trusty Galaxy S10e is giving up the ghost and I probably need to replace it soon. I'd prefer an android handset, but don't need a new contract. 

The choice is huge, and I do not need an expensive all singing, all dancing replacement, just a good value phone, preferably 5G capable. 

Samsung A54 is probably worth a look as it'll be familiar to the S10. It's their "value" phone.

If you wanted away from Samsung, the Pixel 7a is an equivalent. Previous models for both of the above should be better value too if you can find somewhere stocking them. Buggers tend to hoik the previous model as soon as new stuff comes out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Reviews suggest Xioami phones are good, has anyone tried them? 

I've had mine for 2 and a half years. Had the battery replaced under warranty after it went mad but other than that it's been grand.

It cost 250 quid. The camera is perhaps not amazing, but I'm not sure how good the cameras on flagship phones actually are; I get sent pics taken on recent iPhones that are crap, so I don't know if the difference between 'ok' and 'great' is that big in reality.

It uses MIUI, basically their own version of Android. Reviews said there was a lot of bloatware but everything works really well and I don't think they've really messed about with Android any more than Samsung do, for example.

Only annoyance is that it occasionally offers to install its bollocks 'themes' and it's quite easy to accidentally agree to this, leading to some funny looks from folk when they see a screen saver on it that's a picture of an actual cat wearing glasses and a tie or something.

I'd buy another, or from one of the related brands, definitely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Samsung A54 is probably worth a look as it'll be familiar to the S10. It's their "value" phone.

If you wanted away from Samsung, the Pixel 7a is an equivalent. Previous models for both of the above should be better value too if you can find somewhere stocking them. Buggers tend to hoik the previous model as soon as new stuff comes out. 

I'll be able to review the A54 soon as I've just bought one for my wife.

Reviews of the Pixel 7a were probably a bit better, but it's replacing a 4a where the battery degraded really, really quickly and as one of the strengths of the Samsung was a bigger battery that swung it (and their trade in was more generous)

• Like 1

Have a look at music magpie, I stopped buying into contracts and get my phones from there now, a fraction of the price of a brand new one, can buy pristine, very good and good models. I’ve bought good in the past and you have to look hard to find any marks, if any. Don’t think I’d do any other now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Don't know what I'll do after my S10.  Kept hold of it for another 2 yr contract as it is a fantastic phone!  S21 snd 22 weren't worth the upgrade at the time. Not sure on the 23 but will probably be forced at some point to jump to it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Don't know what I'll do after my S10.  Kept hold of it for another 2 yr contract as it is a fantastic phone!  S21 snd 22 weren't worth the upgrade at the time. Not sure on the 23 but will probably be forced at some point to jump to it.

I'm finding that the upgrades aren't worth it now. A few years ago there were significant changes but very little now which impacts my actual daily usage. I kept my S9+ for an extra 18 months through Covid. Finally swapped for an S22 last year. Don't actually like it as much aesthetically and doesn't really do anything different. But by going for the 22 rather than the 23 it was £35 - £40 less expensive a month. The monthly costs are astonishing for the next new upgrade. 

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Samsung A series is worth a look with the A54 getting good reviews. Also consider a Pixel 6a. Last gen I know, but I've seen on sale at a decent price. My wife has one, and loves it. I went to an iPhone, but just switch back to a Pixel 7 as I got a great deal and saved loads on my contract while quadrupled my data.  7a is worth it as well if you can stretch to it. If you want more budget Motorola are half decent. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've had mine for 2 and a half years. Had the battery replaced under warranty after it went mad but other than that it's been grand.

It cost 250 quid. The camera is perhaps not amazing, but I'm not sure how good the cameras on flagship phones actually are; I get sent pics taken on recent iPhones that are crap, so I don't know if the difference between 'ok' and 'great' is that big in reality.

It uses MIUI, basically their own version of Android. Reviews said there was a lot of bloatware but everything works really well and I don't think they've really messed about with Android any more than Samsung do, for example.

Only annoyance is that it occasionally offers to install its bollocks 'themes' and it's quite easy to accidentally agree to this, leading to some funny looks from folk when they see a screen saver on it that's a picture of an actual cat wearing glasses and a tie or something.

I'd buy another, or from one of the related brands, definitely

I second this. Had a Xiaomi for 3 years. 
Plus points:

-Some have a built in IR blaster for use as a tv remove and fm radio which aren’t common nowadays, great for when you can’t find the remote 😂

-good value for money

-a lot of the UI is ‘inspired’ by iPhone as many apps look similar in use

-decent cameras for the money 

Negatives:

-Some system apps have ads but only notice it once in a blue moon

-slightly more concerns about privacy with it being a Chinese company

-the wallpaper carousel is annoying sometimes as Sebastian commented on

I got an iPhone via work now and honestly for saying this is supposed to be a £1000 phone it isn’t worth it over spending <£300 on a Xiaomi. If that’s your budget these phones are really good value. 

I would recommend looking for wireless charger capability as well as these are very convenient and save you from plugging in too much (My Xiaomi’s charging port got very loose towards the end of using it). You can get a great wireless charger for £15 or so, just pop it on the stand and it will charge overnight no problem. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The other good thing about most of the cheaper Chinese brands is they still have headphone sockets

The problem with Chinese brands is that apps will change and will fail to support that device.

3 hours ago, filthyfox said:

The problem with Chinese brands is that apps will change and will fail to support that device.

I'm not sure why software developers wouldn't support Chinese devices. Most of them use pretty mainstream chipsets and even their most messed about with operating systems aren't that far removed from stock Android. Also, there's blooming millions of them. Whilst the brands may not be household names in the UK they dominate in some countries and have significant global market share.

I'll be honest, when I first got mine I was a bit worried that the user experience might be compromised in some way, but in terms of stuff actually working properly it's been the best behaved phone I've had. I've got one App that occasionally causes issues, but it does exactly the same on all Android phones from what I've read.

Yes, the Chinese secret service may be able to monitor my visits to special interest websites, but I'm not sure that's any worse than Google or Tim Cook knowing what I've been up to, and I like to think they'd be less prudish and judgemental

Currently have Pixel 6. Price went up in March as it usually does, but went up massively. 

Had a look online. I'm eligible for a free upgrade to a newer model (Pixel 7), for more data, more extras, but it's £14 cheaper per month. Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

• Thanks 1

Im currently on the 3 network and im due an upgrade. Been looking at sticking where i am but there doesnt seem to be any great deals with them. Im not bothered about an all singing all dancing top of the range phone (i would like to stick with Samsung though) and would like minimum of 12Gb data and possibly pay no more than £30ish/month. Is it worth looking around at other networks to see if there any better deals around or is ringing them or visiting a store likely to get a better deal?

1 hour ago, NAKC20 said:

Im currently on the 3 network and im due an upgrade. Been looking at sticking where i am but there doesnt seem to be any great deals with them. Im not bothered about an all singing all dancing top of the range phone (i would like to stick with Samsung though) and would like minimum of 12Gb data and possibly pay no more than £30ish/month. Is it worth looking around at other networks to see if there any better deals around or is ringing them or visiting a store likely to get a better deal?

Definitely worth looking. Do a coverage checker, just in case. Then look at a site like MoneySavingExpert, they often show the best current deals. 

• Thanks 1

My missus always takes my old phone when I upgrade. She broke hers and I wasn't due an upgrade for a few months. I had an s20 5g and she was on the s10. We shopped around and prices of most phones were ridiculous. Over 200 quid for a second hand s10, no thanks. Phoned up EE and said I wanted to upgrade early what's the cost. 100 quid to pay off my old contract, but the new ones were stupid prices. Discussed things to make it cheaper, like less data etc, managed to get a contract on an s22 5g for less a month I was paying for the 20, with double the data, and a free Samsung chromebook (a pointless piece of hardware, but it's free). Missus basically got a brand new s20 (immaculate condition etc) for 100 pounds and I got an s22 for nearly 10 pound less a month than I was paying before. Was pretty happy with that. They originally wanted about  £50 a month on upgrade, i ended up paying £30 a month with 250gb data and a free (shit) laptop. Also got them to throw free european roaming in. They do good deals if you push them.

• Thanks 1

Ordered brand new Google Pixel 7 in black on Thursday from EE. 

They sent me a 'good as new' Pixel 7 white. 

It works fine and as far as I can see, no issues or damage. 

I've asked if they can knock any money off the monthly bill considering it's not the phone I've ordered and isn't actually brand new. 

Spoken to 2 people from there. The first one said 'that can't be right because we don't do' good as new' any more'. Both have said the only option is to return it, wait til they receive it, then order a new one :dunno: lol

I don't see why they can't just offer something as a 'good will gesture' or some kind of credit, even if it was a gift card instead of actual money. 

Am I being unreasonable, considering they've sent me the wrong product?! 

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

Ordered brand new Google Pixel 7 in black on Thursday from EE. 

They sent me a 'good as new' Pixel 7 white. 

It works fine and as far as I can see, no issues or damage. 

I've asked if they can knock any money off the monthly bill considering it's not the phone I've ordered and isn't actually brand new. 

Spoken to 2 people from there. The first one said 'that can't be right because we don't do' good as new' any more'. Both have said the only option is to return it, wait til they receive it, then order a new one :dunno: lol

I don't see why they can't just offer something as a 'good will gesture' or some kind of credit, even if it was a gift card instead of actual money. 

Am I being unreasonable, considering they've sent me the wrong product?! 

Abasolutely not, but a lot of CS teams are on rails with what they can do - I've both worked in and managed a contact centre...

I have a Pixel 6a and TBH its disappointing coming from a POCO something or other.

Only changed as my wife was whinging about getting something with a better camera for pics of our daughter (Poco camera was fine to me), and the camera is good, but the battery life is much worse plus the thumb scanner is patchy and it generally seems no faster than the 18 month old phone it replaced.

Luckily got it using a stupidly high iphone trade in which meant a 6 sitting in my daughters toybox was valued at £140!

• Like 1