Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

4 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Mary Earp brilliant, the rest of the side very disappointing. Great finish for what proved to be the winner, but incredibly poor tracking of the run in behind. Most here would give Doyle heavy criticism if he let someone through like that in one of our matches, let alone a World Cup final.

At least now maybe we can scale back the false equivalence a little bit - some corners of the media have been incredibly patronising talking about this being our moment to end 57 years of hurt. The same media who gave precisely zero shits about Women's football until the past 5 years at a stretch, when they realised we were actually quite good at it? The word bandwagon springs to mind.

There's always been an arrogance and lack of self-awareness when it comes to England in tournaments, one that ultimately makes all but the most die-hard fans struggle to really tap into the fever, and this is the first time I've genuinely felt it seep into the feeling of watching the Lionesses. I shouldn't feel any sense of schadenfreude seeing my country lose a big game, but I'm just not that bothered since it hopefully comes as a bit of a reality check that, no, it's not our God-given right to turn up and win everything put before us.

Then again, the girls have definitely proven they're equal to the men's team by blowing it in the games where it matters. Presumably certain players and Wiegman will come in for pelters for their individual errors and tactical decisions today? I doubt it somehow.

OK, I'm going to go back into my box now and be a grumpy old man there. 

Unfortunately Bronze’s run,then loss of ball,left the right side open,then the diagon pass that left us open…

Bronze started what she thought was a good break,and instead of then moving it,got caught in the middle of the park..

Right side gaping…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

This was going around on Twitter.

Shame to bring such a thing up on the eve of a big occasion for the team.

Maybe some will think it's an issue but football is a very diverse sport compared to others!

To be fair, I think the guy on the programme was having a go at the paper and trying to say why didn’t they put someone like Lauren James on there as well rather than saying the team itself isn’t diverse. Think the Tweeter is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

25 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

To be fair, I think the guy on the programme was having a go at the paper and trying to say why didn’t they put someone like Lauren James on there as well rather than saying the team itself isn’t diverse. Think the Tweeter is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Everything is just hopped on by the culture war people on both sides of it. It’s utterly, utterly tiring. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Fair point.

I guess it was taken after the semi final which James wasn't involved in.

I remember it was talked about on the BBC last year during the Euros but rather forgotten about when we won. 

Talk about being brought down to earth in such a sad and tragic way.

Poor girl.

https://news.sky.com/story/womens-world-cup-spains-match-winner-olga-carmona-found-out-father-had-died-after-game-12944295

Edited by Super_horns

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

wtf

Well, can see why they backed that bastard Vilda, cut from the same cloth. Feel sorry for the Spanish women who are going to end up seeing no change because the Spanish FA are rotten to the top and will see today as vindication for their decision...

59 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Look closer. Lauren James is on there.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Fair point.

I guess it was taken after the semi final which James wasn't involved in.

I remember it was talked about on the BBC last year during the Euros but rather forgotten about when we won. 

Talk about being brought down to earth in such a sad and tragic way.

Poor girl.

https://news.sky.com/story/womens-world-cup-spains-match-winner-olga-carmona-found-out-father-had-died-after-game-12944295

19 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

That's heartbreaking. Puts football into perspective. Thoughts are with her

Very sad. Must be so bittersweet for her now. Almost like leaving a gift behind for her to score the winner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

James was on the picture.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Strange comment from you Mr Mac ..  of course there should be runners up medals ..  something to remind you that you represented your country and played in a World Cup final .. something to be treasured and passed down the family.  And of course it should be done after the game ..  and the losing team should stay and congratulate and applaud the winners.   

Certainly agree there should be runners-up medals, still disagree they should have to receive them immediately after the game and then be made to watch while the winner gets theirs. If they want to, that's fine, but they should also have the option of not doing so. Yes, it's much more being a "good sport" to put on a brave face but I don't think people should be judged for being disappointed/pissed off that they came second and so not valuing the medals they've just been given enough to put them on.

On the same note I've never agreed with interviewing the runners-up immediately after losing a Grand Slam final in tennis. Just seems a bit ghoulish and serves the purpose of no one but those who like to see misery and perhaps a little controversy.

8 hours ago, Sparrowhawk said:

I was very impressed with her to be honest. Having been in tears a few minutes earlier, she accepted it with enthusiasm and a smile.

Also the women were so much classier getting their runners up medals than some of the England men. None of them took their medals off as soon as they got them in a stroppy sulk!

As per above, I can understand both reactions. If I'd just lost the biggest match of my life I'd be a mix of disappointed and furious. Of course, that would fade with a little time, but immediately afterwards, unless someone is showing blatant disrespect, I'm totally OK with the idea of someone taking their runners-up medals off - it shows that they're unhappy at finishing second and that's equally as valid as being OK with it (or simply appearing to be OK with it) IMO.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Of course, that would fade with a little time, but immediately afterwards, unless someone is showing blatant disrespect, I'm totally OK with the idea of someone taking their runners-up medals off - it shows that they're unhappy at finishing second and that's equally as valid as being OK with it (or simply appearing to be OK with it) IMO.

If they quietly take them off a few minutes later, that's fine. Who'd even notice?

Some of the England players were snatching theirs off their necks as soon as they got them. It was just plain rude.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Certainly agree there should be runners-up medals, still disagree they should have to receive them immediately after the game and then be made to watch while the winner gets theirs

It's a tricky one. Sending them in the post later seems a bit joyless, and obviously a football match can't work like the Olympics where they all come out a couple of hours later for the medal ceremony.

To be honest, part of the problem is that they have to wait around so bleeding long these days! In the old days, about five minutes after the match, the runners up would get their medals, the winners would get theirs, the trophy would be presented and everyone would go on their way. Whole thing would take about five minutes.

The thing I've always found to be utterly pointless is the third place play-off. A match that nobody really cares about, and which the two teams playing in are massively disappointed to be in. A total waste of time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Mary Earp brilliant, the rest of the side very disappointing. Great finish for what proved to be the winner, but incredibly poor tracking of the run in behind. Most here would give Doyle heavy criticism if he let someone through like that in one of our matches, let alone a World Cup final.

At least now maybe we can scale back the false equivalence a little bit - some corners of the media have been incredibly patronising talking about this being our moment to end 57 years of hurt. The same media who gave precisely zero shits about Women's football until the past 5 years at a stretch, when they realised we were actually quite good at it? The word bandwagon springs to mind.

There's always been an arrogance and lack of self-awareness when it comes to England in tournaments, one that ultimately makes all but the most die-hard fans struggle to really tap into the fever, and this is the first time I've genuinely felt it seep into the feeling of watching the Lionesses. I shouldn't feel any sense of schadenfreude seeing my country lose a big game, but I'm just not that bothered since it hopefully comes as a bit of a reality check that, no, it's not our God-given right to turn up and win everything put before us.

Then again, the girls have definitely proven they're equal to the men's team by blowing it in the games where it matters. Presumably certain players and Wiegman will come in for pelters for their individual errors and tactical decisions today? I doubt it somehow.

OK, I'm going to go back into my box now and be a grumpy old man there. 

This post is right on the money, and saved me having to say it all.

I wanted our girls to win, but agree that in a way I'm glad they didn't, as we'd never have heard the last of it. There's no way this final is equivalent to the men's game. Who said so? My daughter.

Both Bronze and James are good players, but both showed lapses, one of which 'let the whole school down'.

I agree that 'fans nouveau' tend to leap on the bandwagon around the stage of a quarter-final win, and it is these who tend to know stink all about football and perpetuate the myth that we only had to turn up to lift the trophy; this time there were arguably more women and kids in the mix, along with TV faces and Sunaks.

While I can't agree with the 'blowing it in the games where it matters' comment (after their Euro win), I do agree that many of the other foibles of the England men's team have permeated.

Edited by melvinmmelvin

13 hours ago, Super_horns said:

This was going around on Twitter.

Shame to bring such a thing up on the eve of a big occasion for the team.

Maybe some will think it's an issue but football is a very diverse sport compared to others!

Sweden were the blonde, blue-eyed team in this tournament. Only Asllani (Kosovan Albanian) is visibly ethnically different in their starting line-up.

You pick the best players available and while the men's game in England has a high proportion of ethnically diverse players, maybe girls from black, multi racial and Asian backgrounds haven't chosen to pursue professional  football as a career option...yet.

The days of unconscious prejudice and deliberate prejudice are well past now. Anyone making this a point of contention is being self-promoting.

• Like 2

Day after feeling... well we done well to get to the final considering the players absent pre-tournament. There was a couple of performances in their we probably would like to have gone better, Hati and Nigeria. Just poor in them two games but still managed to get the win. Yesterday yeah we weren't great, Spain better team, defended well and just frustrated us through out. I think in that second half we certainly missed the likes of Mead, Kirby and Williamson. Just really lacked summit yesterday, thought a couple had a bit of a out character performance, Bronze usually one of our best players was dreadful. Move on Nations League next, in Weigman we trust. 

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Cripes, what do they think the Spanish got up to, dinner parties and language exchange?

Central and South America just speak Spanish by coincidence.

The best part is the guy is a Zimbabwean with a Chinese flag in his bio.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

Central and South America just speak Spanish by coincidence.

The best part is the guy is a Zimbabwean with a Chinese flag in his bio.

picardfacepalm.gif

I gotta hand it to the Russians and Chinese, their psyop game is often damn good.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

picardfacepalm.gif

I gotta hand it to the Russians and Chinese, their psyop game is often damn good.

Western tankies as well seem to genuinely believe that Russian and Chinese 'investment' in Africa is nothing but kindness.

Bless.