Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester retail firm Wilko on brink of administration as 12,000 jobs at risk

31 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This is going to sound absolutely batshit, but is it just me who always though, mainly as a kid, that Wilkos had a really unique smell? Wasn't unpleasant, just a smell that was in ever Wilko I went in? Can't even describe it.

Anyway, cue all the "retail police" on social media who will complain about the chain closing (if it does close) and how it's another death knell for the high street, even though A) they've not been in one for the last 10 years and B) the next time they'll go in is during the 90% closing down sale to pick at the carcass.

I Concur but it's not there now it was when they had more hardware stuff especially in the DIY section like nails which could buy by weight. It's gone a bit up market with more pre-package stuff rather than sold loosely.

The one in Hinckley is well stocked and always looks busy even with a B&M just around the corner although there's a massive new B&M due to open near the station.

3 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

They haven't been fully stocked for a good while now, lots of empty shelves.

Yep. I live in London and used to make the trek up to Wembley for the nearest branch - stopped doing this as their shelves were often empty. Can't help feeling that the likes of Poundland could make a killing if they took over and sorted out the supply lines.

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Sadly symptomatic of the decline of the high street. There will be plenty more beloved brands to follow, unfortunately. 

Consumer buying habits, cost of living, the pandemic, being undercut by bargain wholesalers and internet convenience. Lots of factors here.

For most of these brands it's already too late. Their opportunity to diversify online has been and gone. 

Outside of the big cities, high streets are increasingly bleak places. Shame. Feel sorry for the workforces.

Disagree slightly. For the type of thing you buy from Wilkos/Poundland etc it's still far more convenient to buy from the store, than to order online and hope Evri delivers a few days later. Wilkos imho have failed to stock adequately. Poundland never seems to have the rows of empty shelves problem.

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

Whilst I understand what's going on in terms of changing shopping habits I'm still a bit surprised that a shop that was the go to place for buying boring essentials as cheaply as possible has struggled in the current climate. Thought they'd be the last to go

There's a lot of competition though with places like Home Bargains, B&M, Poundshop and The Range. Plus you can get most things in large supermarkets, there's nothing unique about them that make them worth shopping in.

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

This is going to sound absolutely batshit, but is it just me who always though, mainly as a kid, that Wilkos had a really unique smell? Wasn't unpleasant, just a smell that was in ever Wilko I went in? Can't even describe it.

Anyway, cue all the "retail police" on social media who will complain about the chain closing (if it does close) and how it's another death knell for the high street, even though A) they've not been in one for the last 10 years and B) the next time they'll go in is during the 90% closing down sale to pick at the carcass.

Many years ago I had a Saturday job at Wilko on Narborough Road. (The first to open). There definitely was, and still is, a unique "Wilko" smell that I always associate with working there and I find it reassuring and nostalgic.

It's odd because no other hardware/general store has/had the same smell.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

There's a lot of competition though with places like Home Bargains, B&M, Poundshop and The Range. Plus you can get most things in large supermarkets, there's nothing unique about them that make them worth shopping in.

Whilst all of those shops are better than Wilko is NOW, when it was at its best I don't think any of them were anywhere near as good. At the end of the day I suppose it's all competition like you say and there's not enough differentiation to stop them losing business to the new kids on the block.

A shame

2 hours ago, davieG said:

The one in Hinckley is well stocked and always looks busy even with a B&M just around the corner although there's a massive new B&M due to open near the station.

I assume it's going to replace Poundstretcher which has closed?

21 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Whilst all of those shops are better than Wilko is NOW, when it was at its best I don't think any of them were anywhere near as good. At the end of the day I suppose it's all competition like you say and there's not enough differentiation to stop them losing business to the new kids on the block.

A shame

It is.

Wilko was usually associated with value for money on general goods. For example a 5ltr tin of Dulux paint was significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

Gardening tools, pet food, general hardware and toiletries, plus almost every, everyday essential.

Then came the "pile it high, sell it cheap" band of shops. Oddly, if anyone remembers Brierley's, they were a kind of pioneer of this selling technique.

www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/recalling-pioneering-leicester-discount-supermarket-2852848

Wilko cannot compete. They haven't got the buying power of the mega discount stores anymore. 

Edited by Parafox

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Many years ago I had a Saturday job at Wilko on Narborough Road. (The first to open). There definitely was, and still is, a unique "Wilko" smell that I always associate with working there and I find it reassuring and nostalgic.

It's odd because no other hardware/general store has/had the same smell.

Good stuff. That's the one I remember most of all on Nabby Road for the unique smell. It was a smaller store, too. I remember going there as a kid whilst we battered Leeds 3-1 on Rio Ferdinand's debut after his record £18m move. Excitedly told my next door neighbour we were 3-0 up when we got home and he did not give a shit 😂

For me Wilko used to be the store that stocked the most random of items that you simply wouldn't find elsewhere. That was their USP as whilst you could probably buy a lot of said items online typically they'd be items that you'd need immediately and couldn't wait a day to be delivered. Of course whilst you were in store you'd then end up buying various other items that you may have otherwise bought from a different shop. As soon as they moved away from that model and solely focused on the so called fast moving goods they just became a me-too business and there was no longer any reason to go in other than the occasional time when you might be passing and decided to dash in due to convenience. It's a real shame as I used to love the quirkiness of their stores, but for me they need to go back to their roots and rediscover their identity so that they can differentiate themselves in what is quite a congested marketplace. 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 1

Hopefully somehow it gets saved, love a walk around Wilkos in Syston, planning all the diy I’m never going to get done. It’s a shame because it’s such a useful shop, need something quick for whatever pop down wilkos. Though I have sensed it for a while walking around the one in Syston. B&M can **** off though. 

B&M, The Range and Screwfix have killed wilkos trade. Much easier to get to a retail park or industrial estate with free parking. Opposed to paying for parking at ludicrous prices for quick trip to the high street. 

Edited by djskydiver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Never been in one. No idea what they sell.

You've never been in a Wilkinson? Used to be on Newland Street in Kettering years ago, no idea if it's still there.

Great for toiletries, household stuff, gardening things, homeware, lots really and it will be a shame to see it go.