Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Wilfred Ndidi

I was all for us selling him but this really is a different Wilf…

Impressive how Enzo has managed to firstly get him playing at a level at all after how badly he seemed to have declined but also how he is already looking quite comfortable at this new adapted style.

Shame on Rodgers here. Not only did he seemingly completely destroy Ndidi as a player but in a matter of weeks, Enzo has got him playing a new style which you can only imagine is what Rodgers thought he was doing!

• Like 2

Wilf’s strength has always been ball recovery, he was never a great passer of the ball even at the top of his game as a CDM.  It seems to me that Enzo wants him to bring that to his new role as a (false?) 10, winning the ball higher up the pitch where a missplaced pass results in a potentially lost attacking opportunity rather than an opening for the opposition in our defensive third.

• Like 2

As I’ve stated in my previous staunch defence of Wilf, there have been many and varied mitigating circumstances which simply culminated in a complete loss of both confidence and fitness. Some of those things are well known, some less so. 

He is an incredible player and if Enzo can ease him back to where he was, then it will be immense. 

You don’t go from effective superstar to shite without reason, and that player is still in there. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

He'll but suited to some games more than others. You'd imagine away from home, against teams who like to keep the ball and will actually attack - he'll be suited as he can press high up the pitch.

At home against teams who sit deep, maybe we will need a bit more quality on the ball. That being said I feels he's done a stellar job this season in a role most expected wouldn't suit him at all. 

Thought he would fail badly under Maresca but I couldn’t be happier he has proved me so very wrong.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

I hate to be a smart arse (well, I don't, I just hate to be unpopular) but some of us have championed Wilf all along. Lots of super disrespectful, almost abusive, posts when he was set to join Forest. 

Goes all the way back to Vardy years ago. Not everyone binned him off in that quiet first season, as has become lore. His touch was there to see from day one. 

Faes will be the next one in a few weeks where the apologies will come rolling in by the barrowload for the (totally unwarranted imo) stick he got. 

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I hate to be a smart arse (well, I don't, I just hate to be unpopular) but some of us have championed Wilf all along. Lots of super disrespectful, almost abusive, posts when he was set to join Forest. 

Goes all the way back to Vardy years ago. Not everyone binned him off in that quiet first season, as has become lore. His touch was there to see from day one. 

Faes will be the next one in a few weeks where the apologies will come rolling in by the barrowload for the (totally unwarranted imo) stick he got. 

Are you going to apologise for calling McAteer a waste of a selection?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Guest said:

Are you going to apologise for calling McAteer a waste of a selection?

Sure. He's growing on me. Doesn't make me wrong about Wilf, or Faes though. 

Difference is, particularly Wilf, they'd earned respect and deserved some leeway. Young players need to earn that level of trust. Nothing personal. It's pro football at a very high level. Standards and demands are high. 

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Difference is, particularly Wilf, they'd earned respect and deserved some leeway. Young players need to earn that level of trust. Nothing personal. It's pro football at a very high level. Standards and demands are high. 

I moaned about Wilf, and then again I showed what I believed was nigh on biblical patience with Vestergaard, and it should (imho) always be the default to back the players, but it’s also fair to highlight their poor form, and it now thankfully seems likes that all it may have been (understandably) 

Now we hope for another return to form for Kelechi, although I would argue that his peak was not as consistent as Wilf’s.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I moaned about Wilf, and then again I showed what I believed was nigh on biblical patience with Vestergaard, and it should (imho) always be the default to back the players, but it’s also fair to highlight their poor form, and it now thankfully seems likes that all it may have been (understandably) 

Now we hope for another return to form for Kelechi, although I would argue that his peak was not as consistent as Wilf’s.

Hey, a grizzle and frustration at players is normal. I'd have dropped Wilf last year too. 

His form was shit last season. It was the nonsense about his control, his technique, his age, forest getting 'agent Wilf'.....this is a guy who's played a whisker below the very highest level with us for 4 or 5 years, could easily have stepped up to that elite level and we had to read garbage like he can't trap a bag of cement. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Anyone who's set to join Forest from us is going to get shit. Doesn't matter what they've done. Especially someone who's been part of our relegation jumping ship.

Glad he's doing okay but he's far from amazing in this role in my opinion and has had more bad performances than good. That said, he's a hell of a lot better than he suggested he would be in that pre season game at Northampton and I hope he continues to get better.

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You could also look at that the other way and say people were criticising Ndidi off the back of him largely stinking the place out for the last 18 months or so whereas you were writing McAteer off as being a waste of a selection after about two league games for us. If standards and demands are high then they ought to be high across the board, whether for young players breaking into the side or players who have performed well in the past.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, majaco said:

I have always liked Ndidi.  His drop in form was not good to see. Enjoying the positive comments having read so many troll comments about him and his imminent old age pension.   

His footwork for his goal was superb.  

To be frank, he had a great idea and it was instinctive, but his footwork was not superb. The ball was not stuck to his feet like it would for others, but this time it worked. At other times, the ball may bounce off further away and he misses the opportunity. But in a more advanced role it is seemingly paying off even if he wastes half of them as he seems to be growing into the role.

16 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

I was all for us selling him but this really is a different Wilf…

Impressive how Enzo has managed to firstly get him playing at a level at all after how badly he seemed to have declined but also how he is already looking quite comfortable at this new adapted style.

Shame on Rodgers here. Not only did he seemingly completely destroy Ndidi as a player but in a matter of weeks, Enzo has got him playing a new style which you can only imagine is what Rodgers thought he was doing!

Rodgers had no idea how to fix the problems he was faced, other than ar*e covering.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

All I've read for years, and mainly fair, is criticism of how awful he is. Scores a goal and he's the messiah. 

Absolutely this.

He has been better than I would have hoped for when in the advanced role (and right now should be in the starting 11) BUT I would still be fine with him doing a job for us and either signing on a much reduced wage or moving on in the Summer.

One thing that I can’t stop seeing is how easily players ran have past him this season and the past two, he is NOT the destroyer he once was and that’s because he physically can’t be - sad times.

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

To be frank, he had a great idea and it was instinctive, but his footwork was not superb. The ball was not stuck to his feet like it would for others, but this time it worked. At other times, the ball may bounce off further away and he misses the opportunity. But in a more advanced role it is seemingly paying off even if he wastes half of them as he seems to be growing into the role.

Welcome the the positive bus.   

What are you chatting about?   How have you managed to to downgrade a great piece of skill to inferring luck?

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

What's been refreshing so far under Enzo is that poor form actually seems to get punished with players being dropped. Some names were untouchable under Rodgers while stinking up the teamsheet, but we've already seen the likes of Mavididi benched for letting their levels drop. If Friday was anything to go by, it's a very good motivator.

• Like 1

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/09/22/leicester-city-star-admits-to-laughing-at-summer-transfer-rumours/

Leicester City Star Admits To ‘Laughing’ At Summer Transfer Rumours
September 22, 2023 Adam Scully Championship News, Clubs, EFL, EFL Championship, Leicester City, News, Nottingham Forest, Premier League, Transfer News 0
As featured on NewsNow: Football news
Football News 24/7 

Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi has revealed that he ‘laughed at’ certain transfer rumours linking him with a move away from the King Power Stadium this summer.

The Nigeria international had been rumoured to leave the former Premier League champions during the most recent transfer window which closed three weeks ago. German outlet Kicker even claimed that Bayern Munich were interested in acquiring the player’s services.

Just days before the deadline passed, talkSPORT reported that Nottingham Forest were in the driving seat to sign Ndidi and were closing in on a deal to bring the 26-year-old to the City Ground, dealing a significant blow to Enzo Maresca.

Nevertheless, no deal came to fruition and Forest instead brought PSV Eindhoven’s midfield general Ibrahim Sangare to the club while Ndidi remained at Leicester City to try and help Maresca’s men back to the top-flight.

In a recent interview with the When You’re Smiling Podcast, Ndidi explained that he never wanted to leave the Foxes and admitted to ‘laughing’ at certain rumours [quotes via Nottinghamshire Live]:

“To be honest no because when he (Maresca) came, he tried to explain his philosophy and also the simplicity of the game and I just feel like it’s something I can actually learn from.

“I’ve been open-minded to try and learn more on his philosophy and his style of game and it’s been going well. I’m happy that I’m here.

“There’s no time that I wanted to leave. Sometimes I saw the news and I was just laughing because it wasn’t true.”

• Like 1