Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

HS2

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

A great idea or not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66468773

Am very conflicted about it personally; yes there are passenger delays, but that's quite normal, but believe the current train operation system fine in the country.

How? We have an outdated, expensive system that now regularly sees strikes. Totally unreliable.

5 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Absolutely ridiculous idea

How about instead of spunking all this money away, they make the railway system we do have effective and affordable? 

If you want to get to Manchester 15 mins earlier then get out of bed earlier 

That isn’t the reason for building HS2 though? That is a side affect.  The reason is to free up existing infrastructure for shorter journeys 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

That isn’t the reason for building HS2 though? That is a side affect.  The reason is to free up existing infrastructure for shorter journeys 

Fair enough. 

But that still doesn’t mean they’ll make train fares cheaper for the existing network, to say nothing of the fares for the HS2 line. 

I’ve voted Tory for the last few elections, and I certainly don’t agree with half of the fashionable anti Tory stances on this forum either, but with HS2 they’ve dropped a major bollock in my opinion 

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Fair enough. 

But that still doesn’t mean they’ll make train fares cheaper for the existing network, to say nothing of the fares for the HS2 line. 

I’ve voted Tory for the last few elections, and I certainly don’t agree with half of the fashionable anti Tory stances on this forum either, but with HS2 they’ve dropped a major bollock in my opinion 

If only wanting this mob out was just a matter of following something as trivial as fashion

Said from day one it was a massive waste of time, money and resource. Even at the time it was so low in the list of priorities for infrastructure projects that it shouldnt have been started. 

A few years later and hindsight hasn't changed that opinion, only strengthened it. 

**** the Tories 

• Like 2

I think the idea is right and certainly more effort needs to be made to connect the rest of the country to London so that infrastructure isn't centralised in the capital.

Despite the idea being good, the execution is shocking. Arguably the technology proposed is at present time already behind that of other nations in terms of train speed, and I fully expect it to be significantly behind the fastest rail networks by the time it's actually built.

Add to the fact that the hubs are all located out of town away from the existing infrastructure in places that require connections; the benefit of track time being reduced by 30 minutes is negated by the fact that it takes you 20 minutes to get to the hub.

The whole project (ironically given the delays) feels rushed, with little thought having gone into mapping out how best to maximise use of the system and integrate it within the existing infrastructure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

I think the idea is right and certainly more effort needs to be made to connect the rest of the country to London so that infrastructure isn't centralised in the capital.

Despite the idea being good, the execution is shocking. Arguably the technology proposed is at present time already behind that of other nations in terms of train speed, and I fully expect it to be significantly behind the fastest rail networks by the time it's actually built.

Add to the fact that the hubs are all located out of town away from the existing infrastructure in places that require connections; the benefit of track time being reduced by 30 minutes is negated by the fact that it takes you 20 minutes to get to the hub.

The whole project (ironically given the delays) feels rushed, with little thought having gone into mapping out how best to maximise use of the system and integrate it within the existing infrastructure.

Again, it isn't about the time saving, its about taking the longer distance fast trains off the existing network to increase capacity.  Upgrade the existing infrastructure cannot achieve that at all.  You are assessing it against completely incorrect assumptions.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Again, it isn't about the time saving, its about taking the longer distance fast trains off the existing network to increase capacity.  Upgrade the existing infrastructure cannot achieve that at all.  You are assessing it against completely incorrect assumptions.  

Yeah, more infrastructure is clearly needed. Thing is, politics is getting in the way.

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

And environmental activism.

Yep, which is a better reason for the hold-up, but one where there needs to be better bridges between the relevant parties involved because this stuff needs to get done, but with minimal effects on ecosystems. Such a balance is possible.

• Like 1

It's hard to be positive when you live in one of England's largest cities that has one of the worst rail connections and one of the most outdated and one of the most expensive of any of those large cities. 

Traveling anywhere from Leicester has never been so bad.

All they seem to do is spend money reorganising and tarting up the station.

• Like 1

Construction costs are starting to drop, since they hit a peak last year.

Construction manufacturers had the luxury of the entire market being crazy busy, however now with the housing and commercial sectors slowing down due to the increase in interest rates, they’re reliant on local authority and  projects like HS2.

It has also provided a large number of jobs and will continue to, in the longer term.

The idea of HS2 in itself is correct. The existing railway network is poor, outdated and the staff are on strike continually. 

The HS2 network itself should have been better planned out. We need branch stations in every major city, that interconnect with the major lines.

It's a white elephant 

Massively Overbudget, completion date  getting longer and longer

Dropped the northeast spur.

The trains now can't run as fast as stated.

The fares will not be attainable for anyone but the elite.

It's the country's biggest rich man's hornby plaything.

From the beginning it has been an absolute joke and it just gets worse and worse.

• Like 2

On 13/08/2023 at 02:56, Jon the Hat said:

Sorry Jon, but I don't think I'm making any assumptions, the points I've mentioned are facts. I'd agree entirely with your point that it'll free up capacity which is definitely needed and is certainly a primary benefit of the project.

However, this system is also absolutely essential to opening up access to other parts of the country to drive investment in major Midlands and Northern cities. If we as a nation want to continually grow GDP to keep pace with the developed world we cannot rely solely on London being the driver of that growth, we have to encourage investment into other parts of the country where growth potential is larger and faster. Such ambitions can only be achieved with an interconnected system that operates at speed allowing people and skills (both domestically and internationally) to move around fluidly within the UK.