Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Stefano Sensi

On 02/02/2024 at 19:35, lcfc_forever said:

Here is a summary of the Athletic article:

• Inter were reluctant to do a deal which meant they got no money when Sensi became a free agent, and looked into a contract extension with a sale to protect their interest (that was reported in the Italian media). We couldn't afford a payment due to FFP so couldn't just buy him. 
  • Contract extension seemed to be the solution arrived at but meant the deal was more complicated
  • We pushed to sign him as Maresca was keen, but we were being particularly careful to avoid FFP issues
  • The deal then got bogged down with the lawyers, Inter took longer than expected but we gave them extra time
  • Problem then was when we then got the term sheet, Leicester's document in response was longer due to EFL requirements 
  • Their lawyers were surprised by the length of it and then had amendments but there wasn't enough time for Leicester's lawyers to review them 

Sounds like a mess but issues on both sides. Not a Rudkin fan by any means - he should have gone for what happened the previous season - but there was more to this. 

The big problem I think was our expectations were heightened by the likes of Romano when it's clear there wasn't a deal in place, and it took the deadline day for both parties to give ground and try to get this over the line. But then the legal issues scuppered it. 

Who would have thought? lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Does it not clearly lay out the fact the deal was complicated and the paper work can only be done once you have said agreement in place. 

Yes. Are you making the point about why it was left to the last minute? When we clearly being linked and probably in conversations for weeks before the deadline.

7 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Yes. Are you making the point about why it was left to the last minute? When we clearly being linked and probably in conversations for weeks before the deadline.

And the conversations and backwards and forwards in negotiations obviously took weeks. 

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Blaming one man for two football clubs full of professional lawyers as well as a very experienced agent in the middle for fvcking up a transfer is obviously moronic. 

But I do have to say, whilst I've largely stayed out of the Rudkin bashing over Sensi, there's no other way around this - having the guy here doing a medical on deadline day when you're still that far apart with his buying club is embarrassing.

Are we the only club it's ever happened to? No. But it's not a good look and as I've said elsewhere, it might not be his fault but it is his responsibility. 

If you are submitting the terms sheet, then usually you are very close to getting the deal done, as an unofficial version or verbal offer would have been accepted before going through all of that. So I would summise we weren't "that far away". I'm not sure anyone at the club is a mind reader to know what Inter are going to do once they receive the official terms sheet, or how long it's going to take them to get lawyers to go through the document. It literally says they were shocked by the size of it.  

If all the parties didn't think it was exceptionally close, the guy wouldn't have been here.  If you take the Athletic as gospel, they just ran out of time in the very final backwards and forwards between lawyers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Blaming one man for two football clubs full of professional lawyers as well as a very experienced agent in the middle for fvcking up a transfer is obviously moronic. 

But I do have to say, whilst I've largely stayed out of the Rudkin bashing over Sensi, there's no other way around this - having the guy here doing a medical on deadline day when you're still that far apart with his buying club is embarrassing.

Are we the only club it's ever happened to? No. But it's not a good look and as I've said elsewhere, it might not be his fault but it is his responsibility. 

whilst I would agree with you for the most part, I would say this is a pretty normal way of doing things on deadline day.   For any club. If the window closes at 11pm and paperwork isn’t done till like 9-10, you’re not going to be leaving the medical till 10pm.. you do it ahead of time  to make sure you meet the deadline and if final negotiations take a while.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So now articles online ARE acceptable to take as gospel truth? Or is it just because this one supports your opinion? 

As I've said previously, if you lot are going to use them to castigate people. I'm just going to sit here and laugh my socks off when the exact same publications say the exact opposite of what you want to believe. 

You should perhaps note the post where I said "If you take the Athletic as gospel".

Edited by Babylon

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

As I've said previously, if you lot are going to use them to castigate people. I'm just going to sit here and laugh my socks off when the exact same publications say the exact opposite of what you want to believe. 

You should perhaps note the post where I said "If you take the Athletic as gospel".

So the next time an article is critical of someone, are you happy for people to laugh their socks off at you, or will you immediately pull out the "it's just internet speculation, we shouldn't be talking about it, we don't know for sure" etc etc?

Like I say it sounds as though you want the best of both worlds. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Will end up paying that in additional bonuses and fees to agent and player if he comes on a free.

Such a true point.

Happy to ask a dumb question and not sure if you know mate or @coolhandfox but with the FFP rules being more apparent do those fees/bonuses count the same as transfer fees?

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

Such a true point.

Happy to ask a dumb question and not sure if you know mate or @coolhandfox but with the FFP rules being more apparent do those fees/bonuses count the same as transfer fees?

@st albans fox thinks signing on fees can be spread out, but not so sure on agents fees and the like.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

@st albans fox thinks signing on fees can be spread out, but not so sure on agents fees and the like.

I mean how can you know what is the agreed contractual salary and how much is the s/o fee ?? Surely you can manipulate either way if the player is ok about it 

I assume there must be accounting rules and regs around agents fees 

Edited by st albans fox

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Will end up paying that in additional bonuses and fees to agent and player if he comes on a free.

He'll also probably have more clubs making bids which will drive up what he can ask for in a contract. 

We were paying to jump the queue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I mean how can you know what is the agreed contractual salary and how much is the s/o fee ?? Surely you can manipulate either way if the player is ok about it 

I assume there must be accounting rules and regs around agents fees 

If I recall rightly in Ben Foster podcast he spoke about signing on fee being split over the length of a contract.

For example 1m signing on fee could be paid at 200k a year over a 5 year contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

If I recall rightly in Ben Foster podcast he spoke about signing on fee being split over the length of a contract.

For example 1m signing on fee could be paid at 200k a year over a 5 year contract.

Wonder if that gets quoted in the rumoured salaries players are on. You whack them £5m signing on fee and £70k a week wages and that's essentially £90k a week for their entire contract.

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Wonder if that gets quoted in the rumoured salaries players are on. You whack them £5m signing on fee and £70k a week wages and that's essentially £90k a week for their entire contract.

Would make more sense as to why Bertrand was on 70k a week 

21 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So the next time an article is critical of someone, are you happy for people to laugh their socks off at you, or will you immediately pull out the "it's just internet speculation, we shouldn't be talking about it, we don't know for sure" etc etc?

Like I say it sounds as though you want the best of both worlds. 

You seem to be implying this hasn't been happening for years? lol

Laugh away, I'll continue to say take them all with a pinch of salt. As I did with this one, hence my comment already in this thread about whether you beleive it or not. 

But, if Ric for instance wants to use the Athletic as a source for evidence that we turned down bids on players. I'm just going to chuck exactly the same source back at him, when another article says we accepted a bid. It's not me beleiving them and using them as evidence, it's you lot, but I will use it back on you. 

On 08/02/2024 at 10:50, Babylon said:

If you are submitting the terms sheet, then usually you are very close to getting the deal done, as an unofficial version or verbal offer would have been accepted before going through all of that. So I would summise we weren't "that far away". I'm not sure anyone at the club is a mind reader to know what Inter are going to do once they receive the official terms sheet, or how long it's going to take them to get lawyers to go through the document. It literally says they were shocked by the size of it.  

If all the parties didn't think it was exceptionally close, the guy wouldn't have been here.  If you take the Athletic as gospel, they just ran out of time in the very final backwards and forwards between lawyers. 

Running out of time when they had started work on the deal weeks before is inexcusable, we seem to time and time again let things go to deadline day and still dont learn our lesson.

I expect we will never know the full story on this one, but I wouldnt be surprised if was a case of having no intention of signing him but wanting to keep up the illusion for Enzo.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Running out of time when they had started work on the deal weeks before is inexcusable, we seem to time and time again let things go to deadline day and still dont learn our lesson.

I expect we will never know the full story on this one, but I wouldnt be surprised if was a case of having no intention of signing him but wanting to keep up the illusion for Enzo.

How is it inexcusable? If we want a player and it takes two weeks to reach a deal that we can actually do, because Inter wanted more than we could actually afford and it took that time to bend them, then it’s not just in the club. And you act like it was all happening deadline day, how do you know when the sheets were submitted? There is no minute by minute timeline. 

Love the final line, let’s just make up scenarios to bash the club lol

• Like 3