Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Where it began - share yours

1 hour ago, bmt said:

Not completely where it began but Blink 182 and early/mid 2000s emo got me more into music and led to what I listen to now.

Same. Blink 182, New found glory, Jimmy eat world etc

Then massively got into the indie scene

Edited by foxfanazer

My parents' 80s CD collection. Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, Madness. They used to blast it out of the speakers on a Sunday. Definitely my first introduction to rock music. 

I started listening to MTV2 in around 1997 and subsequently bought my first album. Green Day's Dookie. I got obsessed with it.

Got massively into alternative music, started playing guitar, got into a band, went to university to study music production... Off the back of that moved to London to work in the music industry which has led to my career where it is today. 

My life is definitely what it is because of my folks and that first CD.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

My parents' 80s CD collection. Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, Madness. They used to blast it out of the speakers on a Sunday. Definitely my first introduction to rock music. 

I started listening to MTV2 in around 1997 and subsequently bought my first album. Green Day's Dookie. I got obsessed with it.

Got massively into alternative music, started playing guitar, got into a band, went to university to study music production... Off the back of that moved to London to work in the music industry which has led to my career where it is today. 

My life is definitely what it is because of my folks and that first CD.

Do you have any recomendations for producer biographies to read?... Ive always been amazed by the creation of music and producers blow me away.

Cheers

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Do you have any recomendations for producer biographies to read?... Ive always been amazed by the creation of music and producers blow me away.

Cheers

I can't say I've read any TBH. 

Surely anything about Phil Spector has got to be worth a read. Pioneered the "wall of sound" recording / mixing technique, and died in prison a murderer. 

Some on this list might be worth a look? 

I have read "Kill Your Friends" by John Niven which is a satirical look at the record label / A&R side of the industry. The main character is largely based on my old boss lol

• Thanks 1

On 24/01/2024 at 01:50, Jon the Hat said:

1993 man, best year for alternative music ever.  Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, the list goes on and on.

As a side note I'm seeing PWEI in a month or so at Freo Social!

I grew up with music being played all the time as both parents love to listen to music so I was at it right from the start. But I must admit the grunge scene was the pinnacle. Stacked with so many top bands who crucially could do the business live. I feel privileged to have seen most of them in concert. Top of the list for live performance has to go to Tool. Seen them twice and got tickets to see them this year.   

Although I was aware of music previously it must go back to primary school disco 1979, Dj's playing the usual chuff then he puts on Gary Numan "Cars".

I knew then that there was much more than the ABBA / Neil Diamond that my parents would play.

Guest David Oldfields Gate
On 24/01/2024 at 06:03, foxfanazer said:

Same. Blink 182, New found glory, Jimmy eat world etc

Then massively got into the indie scene

I spent a month with J.E.W. great music but dull as F.  Obsessed with playing civilization.

On 25/01/2024 at 18:59, Rocket-Ron said:

Although I was aware of music previously it must go back to primary school disco 1979, Dj's playing the usual chuff then he puts on Gary Numan "Cars".

I knew then that there was much more than the ABBA / Neil Diamond that my parents would play.

Your parents had it right

https://www.uk-charts.co.uk/index.php/charts/1960-s/187-1969

Most of the singles on this list are familiar. Obviously I listened to quite a bit before but I think around 1969 I became aware of Cream (perhaps a bit earlier in their farewell concert) and maybe a bit later Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc.

My mate always seemed to have more money than me and bought new albums that I’d tape on an old reel to reel tape recorder (audio only). When the motor burnt out my dad rewound it, but it played slower, so all the old recordings were slow and had a lower pitch lol

first memories when I was a toddler:

-REM - shiny happy people

-Dire Straits - Walk of life

- the Kinks - Lola

- Herman's Hermits

when being a teen:

- oasis: morning glory

- Green Day - dookie

- blink 182 - enema of the state

- blur: the great escape

• Like 1

I think it took the Madchester stuff before I became interested in more than just listening to TOTP and listening to the Top 40 charts on a Sunday evening.  But it was the whole Grunge thing 1991 when I really felt i had something that I really was passionate about.

Plus before that I have no money to buy records anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/01/2024 at 11:53, ozleicester said:

Cheers

There's a good Phil Spector biography i have, called 'Wall of Pain'.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd pinpoint 3 starting points in childhood/teenage years:

1. Listening solo to my parents' eclectic record collection in late 60s/early 70s (mid-primary school age): The Dubliners, John McCormack, Edith Piaf, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Clancy Bros, Greek folk, African Highlife, Cilla Black...

2. Getting into glam rock with mates c. 1972-74 (late primary/early secondary): Sweet, Slade, Bowie, T. Rex, Gary Glitter (!), Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music...

3. The punk rock explosion as a facked up teenager c.1977-79 (late secondary), solo in bedroom with earphones: Clash, Sex Pistols, Rods, Buzzcocks, Undertones, Skids, leading on to all sorts via Peel & my mate Glenn....

Here's a song to represent each of the 3.....

(I won a bottle of Coke and a packet of crisps as best - or most enthusiastic - dancer at the village youth club dancing to that one, aged 10 lol)

(Shocking that this dropped from No.8 to No. 50 in the Festive 50 posted by Daggers. I specifically remember listening to that Festive 50, but not the 1978 one, as I recall - not yet cool enough, clearly ;))

• Like 2

I don’t recall a moment without music…. My kids won’t either…

My grandad made a living as a pianist…. I was always transfixed when he played…

My Dad had quite an eclectic taste in music and I listened to lots of things….  

I have a sharp memory of a music lesson when I was a kid (mid 80’s) and we had to write a few words and play a track…. I didn’t play simply red or spandau!  I played Peter and the Wolf…. Partly because I loved it and partly because it was a music lesson right?  Anyway, I didn’t get beaten up thankfully, and I was never a social outcast!!!

Edited by Wolfox

All started for me as a 7 year old , hearing " Young Parisians " by adam & the ants " Still 43 years on a huge huge fan of the ANT and have caught him live around 25 times since his comeback in 2011, after only seeing him twice in the 80s and once in the 90s.

After that around 83 time as a 10 year old i got into KISS and sabbath, Rainbow and then the whole 80s rock scene , JOVI, POISON , SKID ROW , CINDERELLA GNR ETC whom i still listen to all these bands today..... the whole 80s was a brilliant period for music, 90s was ok .....GIMME RAAAAAAWK !

• Like 1