Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FLAN

Natural (or non) sleeping tablets

Anyone used and can recommend anything. I’m off to Florida with work for the grand total of 1.5 days of actual work surrounded by travel. I’m terrible if I don’t sleep and wondered if anyone had any tips on something natural I could take to knock me out for a good nights sleep once I arrive (830pm local). Chances are I’m waking up a few hrs after I drop off as things stand 

Edited by FLAN
Expanding the options

Half a litre of an entirely natural alcohol product of your choice. 

Avoid gin, it will only make you angry and tearful and you don't want that.

Edited by Parafox

Having done quite a lot of travel to the states, often arriving at a similar local time - do you need anything the first night? By the time you've travelled down to Heathrow, done the 3 hour pre getting on the plane airport bullshit, transatlantic flight, plus perhaps an internal US flight, hired the car and got to the hotel - you've normally done 18-20 hours travelling and been up 22+ hours - I find I fall asleep OK at that point, it's been an incredibly long day.

The not being able to go to sleep thing doesn't really kick in until the second night. The real jet lag problem tends to hit me on the way back, when you end up losing a nights sleep because of the time skip when flying USA->UK, plus you arrive in the middle of the day. I always find I need a nap immediately after getting home for a few hours, then I'm OK for a bit, then should get to sleep OK at bedtime if i'm lucky. The week after tends to be quite hard work though. Never had to do such a quick turnaround, the shortest journey I've done was a 3 day work visit.

Guest David Oldfields Gate
2 hours ago, FLAN said:

Anyone used and can recommend anything. I’m off to Florida with work for the grand total of 1.5 days of actual work surrounded by travel. I’m terrible if I don’t sleep and wondered if anyone had any tips on something natural I could take to knock me out for a good nights sleep once I arrive (830pm local). Chances are I’m waking up a few hrs after I drop off as things stand 

Try reading foxes talk for a few minutes that normally sends me to sleep.

Having done a decent amount of travel working, with the best intentions you’ll try what you are doing, in reality it won’t work and you’ll be pissed off and tired - sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it’s inevitable!

If you are in the United States you can go to any Walmart or pharmacy and simply pick up some melatonin off the shelf. I don’t think you can do that in England.

The hormone melatonin plays a role in the sleep-wake cycle. Natural levels of melatonin in the blood are highest at night. Some research suggests that melatonin supplements might be helpful in treating sleep disorders, such as delayed sleep phase. They also may provide some relief from insomnia and jet lag.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MPH said:

If you are in the United States you can go to any Walmart or pharmacy and simply pick up some melatonin off the shelf. I don’t think you can do that in England.

The hormone melatonin plays a role in the sleep-wake cycle. Natural levels of melatonin in the blood are highest at night. Some research suggests that melatonin supplements might be helpful in treating sleep disorders, such as delayed sleep phase. They also may provide some relief from insomnia and jet lag.

Can buy this online too. Google eurovital melatonin. Recommend slow release, has definitely worked for me…

10 hours ago, MPH said:

You can't. We have it prescribed for our six-year-old, who is on the autistic spectrum and has sleep issues. We use it sparingly but it is very effective.

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

You can't. We have it prescribed for our six-year-old, who is on the autistic spectrum and has sleep issues. We use it sparingly but it is very effective.

Was waiting for someone knowledgeable to jump in, I was about to say the same. 

• Like 1

Most chemical sleep aids aren’t going to help you in such a short space of time. They’re more likely to add to a sense of grogginess. Sleep aids are really only effective at helping to restore a healthy sleep pattern over an intermediate term. 

There is some evidence for melatonin for jet lag but it’s more about reducing the duration of symptoms and I think your trip is too short for you to have positive benefit.

Avoid salty and fatty food, alcohol and caffeine. Keep well hydrated. If you don’t have to do work on the day you arrive, get a little fresh air then rest and try to go to bed at what would be a sensible early bedtime for the time zone, then try to get yourself awake at an appropriate local time as well.

You’ll probably be more jet lagged on the return leg, flying east is usually worse.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

it’s very strange that something prescribed in 1 country can be so readily available in another, I mean if we were talking about some back alley chemist in Cambodia ( no offense Cambodians!) then fair enough but we’re talking about the United States. 

27 minutes ago, MPH said:

it’s very strange that something prescribed in 1 country can be so readily available in another, I mean if we were talking about some back alley chemist in Cambodia ( no offense Cambodians!) then fair enough but we’re talking about the United States. 

Yes it is. In this case, we're in a bit of a dilemma because we're wary of putting our son on hormone supplements over the long term because we're concerned that it might affect his development during puberty.  At present there's no evidence that melatonin supplements do negatively impact a child's development, but there's no clear evidence that they don't either. This is because there has been very little research into it. Our paediatrician explained that because it is already so widely available over-the counter in the US, there's no pressure on the pharmaceutical companies to research it. If its use was restricted to prescription only in the US, they'd likely undertake a lot more research into it in the hope of proving its safety. As it is, they don't need to do that. So we're very wary about using it too much, which is a shame as it really helps our son to regulate his sleep patterns more effectively.

24 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yes it is. In this case, we're in a bit of a dilemma because we're wary of putting our son on hormone supplements over the long term because we're concerned that it might affect his development during puberty.  At present there's no evidence that melatonin supplements do negatively impact a child's development, but there's no clear evidence that they don't either. This is because there has been very little research into it. Our paediatrician explained that because it is already so widely available over-the counter in the US, there's no pressure on the pharmaceutical companies to research it. If its use was restricted to prescription only in the US, they'd likely undertake a lot more research into it in the hope of proving its safety. As it is, they don't need to do that. So we're very wary about using it too much, which is a shame as it really helps our son to regulate his sleep patterns more effectively.

What milligram dosage have you been using?  Over here in the states you can get a range of anything from 1mg to 10mg. Our son who is also on the spectrum we give him 1mg  dosage on school nights. He is simply unable to function at school without a good night sleep and we have tried EVERYTHING. He doesn't get anything at weekends as it doesn't make much difference what time he  gets off to sleep or gets up.. The latest has been 9.30am and in the grand scheme of things, that's the least of our concerns

1 minute ago, MPH said:

What milligram dosage have you been using?  Over here in the states you can get a range of anything from 1mg to 10mg. Our son who is also on the spectrum we give him 1mg  dosage on school nights. He is simply unable to function at school without a good night sleep and we have tried EVERYTHING. He doesn't get anything at weekends as it doesn't make much difference what time he  gets off to sleep or gets up.. The latest has been 9.30am and in the grand scheme of things, that's the least of our concerns

He has 2mg tablets. We have been given permission to give him two of these (ie, up to 4mg per night) at our discretion, but we've rarely done this. Even with his 2mg of melatonin, we have found he often wakes up during the night and can struggle to get back to sleep. Recently we bought some kids' sleep gummies (basically magnesium plus a few vitamins, available over the counter or via Amazon). We've found the combination of 2mg of melatonin plus the gummy helps him to get to sleep and get through the night without waking, and has already resulted in him performing better at school.

• Like 2