Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Automatic Promotion or Play-offs?

1st, 2nd or Play-offs?   

455 members have voted

1. 1. Where Will We Finish?

16 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Fold the club because our manager can’t be pragmatic? 40 maybe harsh but I’m seriously struggling to think of a worse Chelsea side since 1994 which is 30 years. 
Is the form table enough evidence for you? Or will we have to go the whole hog and finish in the play offs for you to believe it? 

There last 3 games they narrowly lost to Liverpool, drew away at Man City and beat Newcastle this isn't a bad chealsea team. They have had a poor start to the season but they are improving and still cost 1 billion pounds.  Suggesting that losing away to them with 10 men  is a bad result is ridiculous 

• Like 4

Play offs at the minute.

We're playing all the fancy football and just get caught playing a high line and teams are counter attacking for fun. 

In the last 5 games It's to easy to score against us at the minute

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

There last 3 games they narrowly lost to Liverpool, drew away at Man City and beat Newcastle this isn't a bad chealsea team. They have had a poor start to the season but they are improving and still cost 1 billion pounds.  Suggesting that losing away to them with 10 men  is a bad result is ridiculous 

Who’s said that losing to them is a bad result? It’s the manner in how we lost and how our manager is obsessed with honouring pep’s master plan that has pissed me off

• Like 2

Just now, It'sblueupnorth said:

Who’s said that losing to them is a bad result? It’s the manner in how we lost and how our manager is obsessed with honouring pep’s master plan that has pissed me off

Might not have been tou just seen lots of people on this forum suggesting that Chealsea are awful and we shouldn't have lost to them

• Like 1

We've got the ability to go up as champions but the problem is mentality, we look a bit shot. Ndidi coming back will be a massive boost if he can stay fit, he looked brilliant yesterday. 

Maresca tactics when we go ahead and also his substitutions need to be better. What Doyle gives us from an attacking perspective is  overshadowed by his lack of pace and clumsy defending. He isn't good enough IMO. Separatel,y hopefully Ricky P can be back for 5/6 games too. 

Edited by Tommy G
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, HarryDee8 said:

Play offs at the minute.

We're playing all the fancy football and just get caught playing a high line and teams are counter attacking for fun. 

In the last 5 games It's to easy to score against us at the minute

Clean sheets v Sunderland & Bournemouth don't count then ? 

Guest leatherhead32
11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It's weird, I'd back us to come 2nd but I've no faith in us in the playoffs haha

i think first BUT also dont back us if we are in play offs 

Although it's getting to be impossible to call then automatic promotion is most likely going to be between us, Leeds and Ipswich now. Southampton are still outsiders to sneak into automatic contention at the death but I think they've got too much ground to cover now to enable that.

One just hopes we don't drop off into the play offs in the final reckoning and then have to face inform opponents - be it WBA, Norwich, Southampton or whoever else. To then not even make Wembley after everything to date this season could be the ultimate price we pay for having let a 14 points gap be eaten up in less than two months! As other posters have said we have all but lost the momentum we had up to the start of the rot last month and while being out of the FA Cup now is at least one distraction less then even so it has gone to having been very much in our hands to getting slightly beyond our control now sadly. Still, better to have our wobble now and then hopefully regain some momentum at the business end of the season (April into May) and maintain it - while maybe still hoping Leeds and Ipswich lose theirs as they have shown signs of doing in the odd games here and there still of course ie Ipswich at Cardiff last weekend. I think we remain the favourites to go uop with Leeds although it is alarming to see us trimmed down to 6/1 to end up in the play offs now!

29 minutes ago, Guy said:

Although it's getting to be impossible to call then automatic promotion is most likely going to be between us, Leeds and Ipswich now. Southampton are still outsiders to sneak into automatic contention at the death but I think they've got too much ground to cover now to enable that.

One just hopes we don't drop off into the play offs in the final reckoning and then have to face inform opponents - be it WBA, Norwich, Southampton or whoever else. To then not even make Wembley after everything to date this season could be the ultimate price we pay for having let a 14 points gap be eaten up in less than two months! As other posters have said we have all but lost the momentum we had up to the start of the rot last month and while being out of the FA Cup now is at least one distraction less then even so it has gone to having been very much in our hands to getting slightly beyond our control now sadly. Still, better to have our wobble now and then hopefully regain some momentum at the business end of the season (April into May) and maintain it - while maybe still hoping Leeds and Ipswich lose theirs as they have shown signs of doing in the odd games here and there still of course ie Ipswich at Cardiff last weekend. I think we remain the favourites to go uop with Leeds although it is alarming to see us trimmed down to 6/1 to end up in the play offs now!

Now 11/2

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Best in mind I have selected on this ‘poll’ that I think we will finish second, by virtue of Leeds looking much stronger now and having favourable fixtures but having seen enough positive signs from us that we can do enough after the break to hold Ipswich off. So I’d say pretty much impartial and neither in denial about what has happened over recent weeks nor a ‘bed wetter’ as you like to put it as I’m not doomsday thinking the season is over etc. There is all to play for in the 9 games remaining.

That said, and it needs saying, you are far more irritating than any of the perceived bed wetters on here. When will you just give it a rest? People are entitled to their views!

Awaits standard laughing reaction to this post from sbfox

One of the best posts so far

• Thanks 1

Currently struggling to see past us sliding into the play offs within the next 3 games and the detrimental effect this will have on the club, leading to us bowing out of the play offs live on sky in the semis... we have not risen to a big occasion/crunch game since the FA cup win

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the trio of Mavididi's miss, Daka's incorrect disallowed goal and then him nutmegging himself when 1 v 1 will be thr turning point. Its jaw dropping that we didn't win that game, let alone ended up losing it!

Yeah, fair shout. I'll revise - that game was the turning point.

2 hours ago, Trent Steel said:

One of the best posts so far

Many will surely say that if we do end up in the play offs that is has those two 5th place finish seasons under Rodgers written all over it!

I do question manager's selections.. E g why take Mavadidi off when down to 10 v Chelsea cos he looked the only player able to break away? Why choose Choudhury as capt or at all because he is short, lacks discipline for positional play ,clearly a hothead. Please bring back Ndidi to be a defensive midfielder to help the defence which is dodgy. Do any of the players look Premier league class?  

We were 17 points ahead of Leeds -now it is crisis time to avoid play0ffs.

• Like 1

we shouldnt be in the goddamn playoffs

we were 15 points clear for christ sake

so anyone defending themselves should take a look in the mirror, sick of it now,  am I not the only that thinks this ?

Edited by Trent Steel
  • Like 4

The last time we gained promotion we had players like Vardy, Mahrez, Schmeichel, Morgan, King, Ulloa. None really Premiere League tried and tested but I'd rather that team than this team with its many Premiere league experienced player. We could play strike football in 2013, today its pass ball to usually nowhere in particular.

On 18/03/2024 at 19:03, Ric Flair said:

If we won 6, drew 1 and lost 2 you reckon we'd finish 3rd?

That would require Leeds and Ipswich to win 7/8 remaining games. 

It's going to be tight but I don't see both of them doing that. 1 of them quite possibly will though which puts their form in the 2nd half of the season up there with anything we put together in the 1st half of the season.

Yes, unfortunately. I don’t feel comfortable losing so many games in a season and be automatically promoted, especially given the run Leeds has been on and Ipswich seems to be at it again. I hate to count on others to determine our fate. We have seen that with last season. We started off having fate in our hands, and then fans started to say it is ok even if we start losing more as others will also falter. In the end, we ended up here in the Championship. Same as the seasons where we finished fifth with us dropping outside of Champions League positions.

Edited by Tom12345

7 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Yes, unfortunately. I don’t feel comfortable losing so many games in a season and be automatically promoted, especially given the run Leeds has been on and Ipswich seems to be at it again. I hate to count on others to determine our fate. We have seen that with last season. We started off having fate in our hands, and then fans started to say it is ok even if we start losing more as others will also falter. In the end, we ended up here in the Championship. Same as the seasons where we finished fifth with us dropping outside of Champions League positions.

If Leeds win 7 of the last 8, that will mean they've won 20 of their last 22 games. Fair play to them if they manage that as it would be unprecedented, I think.