Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kinowe Soorie

Get in the bin topics.

14 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I’ll start. Not liking Star Wars.

The first three Star Wars films are still genuinely phenomenal - I think the Empire Strikes Back is one of the best films ever made. But weirdly, the cult of fandom that surrounds the franshise puts me off actively engaging with anything to do with it now, good or bad as it may be. For example I have no strong feelings on Harry Potter or Friends, both of which I've dipped in and out of and found perfectly fine, but the way people go on about both means I just can't be arsed to do either begginign to end by virtue of finding all superfans annoying lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Langston said:

The first three Star Wars films are still genuinely phenomenal - I think the Empire Strikes Back is one of the best films ever made. But weirdly, the cult of fandom that surrounds the franshise puts me off actively engaging with anything to do with it now, good or bad as it may be. For example I have no strong feelings on Harry Potter or Friends, both of which I've dipped in and out of and found perfectly fine, but the way people go on about both means I just can't be arsed to do either begginign to end by virtue of finding all superfans annoying lol 

They're good for kids. I loved them when growing up.

TV programs

TV programmes about cooking 

Cooking 

TV programs about diy/restoration/house design

Collecting Vinyl records 

Beer talk (as in what pint you drank last) 

EDIT: Films in general 

I’d better stop now, starting to annoy myself 😂

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

No sorry meant to put that in what really grinds my gears.

There's only three things that really disgust me: my last pint, what I'm reading right now, and people who put things in the wrong thread

34 minutes ago, bovril said:

American politics and society. It's 4000 miles away I don't care. 

Mh, I used to think like this. But I don't think you can, really. 

Partly, you have to be very naïve to not accept they have a huge amount of influence over what happens here, especially when an absolutely maniac like Trump gets in.

But secondly, I think Ian Hislop had a point really in a really good piece he did jointly with Jon Stewart where he was saying we tend to get everything they do, just about five years down the line.

You know, in one post you express an irritation about the disproportionate over-prevalence of debate around Trans people and then in the next you bemoan discussion about American politics but American politics and it's influence is exactly why we have most of these culture wars anyway, the politicisation of the word "woke" has become a fundamental part of American politics, so has the stripping down of politics generally in to this fevered Left vs. Right sports teams-esque fandom that's killing critical thought and bipartisan co-operation in Western democracies. 

That shit is important and it's all born out of the US. To that end, it does matter how successful people like Trump, DeSantis, Boebert, MTG, Gaetz & co are because large chunks of Europe (include ourselves) largely end up playing copycat.

Edited by Finnegan

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mh, I used to think like this. But I don't think you can, really. 

Partly, you have to be very naïve to not accept they have a huge amount of influence over what happens here, especially when an absolutely maniac like Trump gets in.

But secondly, I think Ian Hislop had a point really in a really good piece he did jointly with Jon Stewart where he was saying we tend to get everything they do, just about five years down the line.

You know, in one post you express an irritation about the disproportionate over-prevalence of debate around Trans people and then in the next you bemoan discussion about American politics but American politics and it's influence is exactly why we have most of these culture wars anyway, the politicisation of the word "woke" has become a fundamental part of American politics, so has the stripping down of politics generally in to this fevered Left vs. Right sports teams-esque fandom that's killing critical thought and bipartisan co-operation in Western democracies. 

That shit is important and it's all born out of the US. To that end, it does matter how successful people like Trump, DeSantis, Boebert, MTG, Gaetz & co are because large chunks of Europe (include ourselves) largely end up playing copycat.

I think you've partially made my point - we get everything they do because our population and our media is fixated on America. Like the BLM stuff of 2020. So just shove all American politics and social issues on the backpages, bottom of the websites, very last segment of the TV news, and job done. Although to be fair I think the trans obsession is quite home grown.

I also don't believe what happens in the US affects us anywhere near as much as people think it does. Irish, French, German elections probably influence life in Britain more than US elections do and get 10% of the coverage. The idea that we are very close socially and politically to the 'Anglosphere' has done real damage to the UK in recent years, and that idea is spread partially because of language but also because of the amount of coverage America gets.

So I'm with Alan Partridge, stop talking about American things.